Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

GrantB
ADMIN
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

1959 Les Paul Junior Build

Post by GrantB »

I got this from eBay cheap because it had some issues...non-round nor perpendicular post holes, scale length not measured right (for heel), truss hole not long enough, neck joint meh, routing grabs on the side etc etc. Just stupid stuff form someone who didn't take enough care. And stuff I can fix.

It is old growth mahogany, which was what I was after.

I had a very nice Indian Rosewood blank (thank you Adrian!), dark, and somewhat braz looking. I also have a lot of spare parts that will make this a pretty low cost Jnr.

TV Yellow is the plan.

I cut the fret slots last night. Glued in some little shims around the neck pocket. Deepened the truss cavity. Going OK so far. I'd like to prep and glue the truss in this weekend.
Attachments
image005.jpg
image005.jpg (122.69 KiB) Viewed 4614 times
image004.jpg
image004.jpg (133.57 KiB) Viewed 4614 times
image003.jpg
image003.jpg (118.6 KiB) Viewed 4614 times
image002.jpg
image002.jpg (73.33 KiB) Viewed 4614 times
image001.jpg
image001.jpg (85.42 KiB) Viewed 4614 times
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 807 times
Been liked: 1295 times

Re: 1959 Les Paul Junior Build

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

Excellent!
Subscribed

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 752 times
Been liked: 252 times

Post by Miza »

You're an inspiration Grant.
Looks like it will be an enjoyable project too.
Nothing to see here.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Aroused.
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Doubly aroused.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

murky
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 270 times
Been liked: 294 times

Post by murky »

Nice!

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

Popcorn on the shopping list!
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 855 times
Been liked: 274 times

Post by calling card »

Sweet! I have this notion filed in gunna get round to of making one from silver wattle (Acacia Dealbata)
Probably never happen...

wiki; The timber is useful for furniture and indoor work, but has limited uses, mainly in craft furniture and turning. It has a honey colour, often with distinctive figures like birdseye and tiger stripes. It has a medium weight (540–720 kg/m3), and is similar to its close relative blackwood, but of lighter tone without the dark heartwood
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

calling card wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:52 am Sweet! I have this notion filed in gunna get round to of making one from silver wattle (Acacia Dealbata)
Probably never happen...

wiki; The timber is useful for furniture and indoor work, but has limited uses, mainly in craft furniture and turning. It has a honey colour, often with distinctive figures like birdseye and tiger stripes. It has a medium weight (540–720 kg/m3), and is similar to its close relative blackwood, but of lighter tone without the dark heartwood
Sounds ideal. If you get a lot of it, drop me a line! I have a local dude who can supply exotic woods but I need to buy a lot to make it happen...which I can't justify. If I was making from scratch I'd use the perspex templates. So easy.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

If you need some help filling your cavity...
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Pickups - I will make it so pickups can be changed around easy enough. I have a hum cancelling P90 coming, and I purchased Mal's mini humbuckers too which I will load the bridge into a P90 sourround. I want to experiment. Maybe Mr Glyn can fabricate something unusual for this? Goldfoil P90?

Finish - not done a TV yellow before. I have a formula which I will explain once I've succeeded. Plan B is black ;)

Frets - my fav for a Gibson StewMac 0154. https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tools-a ... twire.html

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

jeremyb wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:15 pm If you need some help filling your cavity...
I used my own wood sorry JB

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 855 times
Been liked: 274 times

Post by calling card »

GrantB wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:11 pm
calling card wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:52 am Sweet! I have this notion filed in gunna get round to of making one from silver wattle (Acacia Dealbata)
Probably never happen...

Sounds ideal. If you get a lot of it, drop me a line! I have a local dude who can supply exotic woods but I need to buy a lot to make it happen...which I can't justify. If I was making from scratch I'd use the perspex templates. So easy.
I have wild tree stock, they grow to monsters then fall over. The valley would be alive with sound of blue smoke chainsaw as I mill out slab wood. Gosh, breaking a sweat thinking about it. Gorgeous colour & grain effects, light too.
Oh well, on the list of so many things to do.
Cheers for the Gibson StewMac 0154 fret tip too. File that in hazy memory I will.
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

Dibs.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

GrantB wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:21 pm
jeremyb wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:15 pm If you need some help filling your cavity...
I used my own wood sorry JB
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.