Where can I get Nitrocellulose paint in NZ??

Self built and self assembly ;)

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Mosfet
Ashton
Ashton
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 38 times

Re: Where can I get Nitrocellulose paint in NZ??

Post by Mosfet »

GrantB wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:17 am You can dramatically improve the cracking aging effect by keeping the thinning to around 60/40 or even 50/50 and build up say 15 thin coats over time. Spraying heavy and fewer coats leaves more of the plasticiser in the layer...the way I suggest ensure each layer gasses off properly.

My Tele custom I did recently started to crack even without cold treatment. When I did throw it in the fridge it was easily done in a few hours.

I get my nitro from versatile products in Frankton Hamilton. Good family business.
Thank you for providing a Hamilton supplier :)

johnstratiwant
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by johnstratiwant »

will give them a call aswel, did the provide in spray can or do i have to get my own spray gun?
k1w1 wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:49 am You can also try these guys, when I lived in Onehunga they used to mix nitro colours for me. https://yellow.co.nz/y/colourworks-paint-supplies-great

johnstratiwant
Ashton
Ashton

Post by johnstratiwant »

The spraying process is more complex than I imagined, is it relatively easy? I have no experience on spray gun except spray cans
GrantB wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:17 am You can dramatically improve the cracking aging effect by keeping the thinning to around 60/40 or even 50/50 and build up say 15 thin coats over time. Spraying heavy and fewer coats leaves more of the plasticiser in the layer...the way I suggest ensure each layer gasses off properly.

My Tele custom I did recently started to crack even without cold treatment. When I did throw it in the fridge it was easily done in a few hours.

I get my nitro from versatile products in Frankton Hamilton. Good family business.

Lyle
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 255 times

Post by Lyle »

Grant has an old post with good details I'll try find it. Make sure you get a decent mask!

k1w1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 391 times

Post by k1w1 »

johnstratiwant wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:51 pm will give them a call aswel, did the provide in spray can or do i have to get my own spray gun?
k1w1 wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:49 am You can also try these guys, when I lived in Onehunga they used to mix nitro colours for me. https://yellow.co.nz/y/colourworks-paint-supplies-great
I had a small Badger spray system so they made up jars for me. Not sure if they do spray cans, give them a call.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

johnstratiwant wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:53 pm The spraying process is more complex than I imagined, is it relatively easy? I have no experience on spray gun except spray cans

Well, it is difficult when taken as a whole...if you want a great finish. Lots of prep, like grain filling and sanding, and then sealer coats, under coats or no under coats, top coats and wet sanding, buffing etc etc. The gun and air compressor needs to be set up right too. But if you can paint a car or motorcycle you can paint a guitar.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2255 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

GrantB wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:32 pm But if you can paint a car or motorcycle you can paint a guitar.
Phew, that makes it easier... just off to practice on a car or two, maybe a harley for good measure.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

johnstratiwant wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:53 pm The spraying process is more complex than I imagined, is it relatively easy? I have no experience on spray gun except spray cans
There's a series of videos by Fletcher Guitars on YouTube. He does a Strat build and I think it's video number nine where he starts the paint process. It's excellent. I learned a lot.

johnstratiwant
Ashton
Ashton

Post by johnstratiwant »

oh I never had experience using a real spray gun, that sounds bit too out of hand especially having no spraying gear
I will probably have to go duplicolor spray can if they unable to provide nitro in spray cans. Hopefully acrylic laquer by duplicolor is not too far from nitro!
GrantB wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:32 pm

Well, it is difficult when taken as a whole...if you want a great finish. Lots of prep, like grain filling and sanding, and then sealer coats, under coats or no under coats, top coats and wet sanding, buffing etc etc. The gun and air compressor needs to be set up right too. But if you can paint a car or motorcycle you can paint a guitar.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Don't do it. Just buy the nitro.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Bg wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:56 pm
GrantB wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:32 pm But if you can paint a car or motorcycle you can paint a guitar.
Phew, that makes it easier... just off to practice on a car or two, maybe a harley for good measure.
I was going to include a Cessna, but though that may have been a step too far...

And yeah, I can’t paint a car...
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

I have done a few guitars with rattle cans....duplicolor car paint is good for colour coats, and then I used clear Super Lacquer from mitr10 for clears. But Molly is right, get the nitro put into cans.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

I think nitro is easier to work with. Each coat melts into and bonds with the previous one. And it smells nice.

Smoking and spraying in a confined and poorly ventilated space is less than ideal.

johnstratiwant
Ashton
Ashton

Post by johnstratiwant »

Thank you for all the answers, I will ask all the suppliers mentioned here if they can provide nitro in a spray can. Hopefully they do, if not will have to proceed with duplicolors!

Optical
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 142 times

Post by Optical »

Let us know what they say!