MrToneNut
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 2 times

Where to buy bodies and necks in NZ?

Post by MrToneNut »

Hi guys, my new house has a new shed that was built but previous owner for wood carving, aside from a blank bench with a cut out for a vice its pretty blank now.

I plan to build my tools over time.

Is there a guide anywhere on the net for what tools are required depending on whether using precut bodies/necks etc or routing and shaping yourself?

What would be the bear minimum needed to build a body from a block of wood, tool wise? I imagine some things can be done with chisels and elbow grease? But I have seen all kinds of jig saws, belt sanders of all descriptions etc, just want to know if there is a guide as such without wasting my money?

For now I just want to build a guitar from parts.

Bodies Im not too fussed on, necks I need really satin/smooth finish and an ESP shape not Ibanez (although the Wiz 3 would be my 2nd choice). A thin U shape. Is it possible to get ESP style necks? Everywhere I look all I see is Strat Bodies and necks. If there is a good site locally and or overseas to order from I would much appreciate some noob advice?

Thank you.

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 247 times

Re: Where to buy bodies and necks in NZ?

Post by griff »

I know a couple of guys in Palmy that can make you one.. but there may be a bit of a wait. Not sure if they can do compound radius either.
Kerry just joined this forum actually, maybe he'll see this..

Michael
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 110 times

Post by Michael »

Non-local:
Warmoth are a given
Guitarfetish for cheap stuff
MJT for relic'd
Musickraft for bodies/necks
Allparts for bodies/necks

Locally, KD does WD Music stuff (here), Guitarparts do Allparts stuff (here).

For wood locally I've been recommended this guy by someone here way back. Never used him personally, but he seems to have nice wood ( :mental: )

MrToneNut
Stagg
Stagg

Post by MrToneNut »

Michael wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:39 pm Non-local:
Warmoth are a given
Thanks mate for the quick reply. Thats a good list for all my options. Im wondering if a neck taken off an LTD EC400 would be my best bet for my preference? No sure if they sell the same shape in parts....

Kev77
Mr Echo
Has liked: 357 times
Been liked: 283 times

Post by Kev77 »

Just FYI, Ian over at guitar parts/!realtone aus can’t bring in anything with a fender headstock.
The copyright deal in aus is getting really tight
"Cash on the ballot, money to burn, Dealey Plaza, make a left-hand turn" Bob Dylan is a genius

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Jigsaw, Router, Drill, body and neck templates, and some home made jigs would be about all you really need to make a guitar :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

MrToneNut
Stagg
Stagg

Post by MrToneNut »

jeremyb wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:16 pm Jigsaw, Router, Drill, body and neck templates, and some home made jigs would be about all you really need to make a guitar :)
Thank you, about body shaping etc, could you do this via rasp or some kind of plane? Then clearly sand to finish.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

MrToneNut wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:26 pm
jeremyb wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:16 pm Jigsaw, Router, Drill, body and neck templates, and some home made jigs would be about all you really need to make a guitar :)
Thank you, about body shaping etc, could you do this via rasp or some kind of plane? Then clearly sand to finish.
Yeah a rasp and maybe a cheap orbital sander for finishing :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Lostininverness
Gibson
Has liked: 499 times
Been liked: 136 times

Post by Lostininverness »

As JB says the main things that are useful are a jigsaw (or coping saw if you want to go old school) for cutting the body shape, router for cutting out pick up and electronics cavities (or use chisels if you have good tools and skills), drill for ...... drilling holes etc. The level of tools depend what you want to build, or what you can get done by local businesses etc. If you are planning on doing a 2 piece body for eg, take it to a local joiner and get them to plane the pieces flat (make sure that they are at least 180x50), joint an edge and check it closely to make sure its a good tightly closed joint, and thickness down to where you want overall thickness. Glue, shape, sand, finish.....

Hardest part is ensuring you have good centrelines, and make sure the bridge is in the right spot. Starting with a bought neck is a good move. Plenty of good resource on the interweb for building e.g TDRPI.com, mylespaul.com, projectguitar.com, sevenstring.org......

The timber supplier Michael linked is a good place to go. And as Griff pointed out, you could PM Kerry of Chaoz guitars who might be able to sort you out with a body etc.

TL:DR - Plenty of guys on here have built stuff including our generous host BG, so lots of good advice to be had.

Good luck.

MrToneNut
Stagg
Stagg

Post by MrToneNut »

The type of project that scares me the most but give me the most buzz is actually set neck/neck through with a string through bridge EEEEEEK !

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

I've used a rasp for neck shaping and also for strat contouring. Another option which is faster and less hard work is an angle grinder with a wood flap wheel. That removes lots of wood remarkably quickly.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

Bg wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:51 pm
I've used a rasp for neck shaping and also for strat contouring. Another option which is faster and less hard work is an angle grinder with a wood flap wheel. That removes lots of wood remarkably quickly.
I have a shinto saw rasp, with a different tpi on each side. The coarser side removes material easily at an astounding rate!

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

codedog wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:52 am
Bg wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:51 pm

I have a shinto saw rasp, with a different tpi on each side. The coarser side removes material easily at an astounding rate!
not at grinding disk rate I bet ;)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Lostininverness
Gibson
Has liked: 499 times
Been liked: 136 times

Post by Lostininverness »

For me the fast the material removal, the faster I then need to rethink a profile to fix something.....

Kev77
Mr Echo
Has liked: 357 times
Been liked: 283 times

Post by Kev77 »

Did we mention musicgift.co.nz ?
"Cash on the ballot, money to burn, Dealey Plaza, make a left-hand turn" Bob Dylan is a genius