Self built and self assembly ;)

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

BY GrantB
Molly wrote:I use Timbermate too. I used to use a mortar and pestle to get it really smooth. I learned a lot from this build:

GrantB wrote:You’ll run a sealer coat first, right!!!

Just to clarify because this isn't something I knew to do. So, a sealer coat is an initial coat of paint (nitro aerosol in the case of my present Strat refin) applied before you do the first grain fill?

I'm at the 'stripping off the old finish' stage. Nice two-piece MJT alder body.

Yes, unless you want the coloured grain full to bleed into the wood and colour/stain it.

I use a thinner mix lacquer - spray it twice. Wet. Give it a week. And then I fill and sand....
BY Bg
A few years ago I wanted to do a black grain effect, didn't do this, ended up painting the whole thing black :D
BY Molly
GrantB wrote:
Yes, unless you want the coloured grain full to bleed into the wood and colour/stain it.

I use a thinner mix lacquer - spray it twice. Wet. Give it a week. And then I fill and sand....

I found one of those Humbrol air brush kits at the recycling centre last year. I'm wondering if it'd be too small to do a guitar. I always go with an aerosol for convenience though accurate tints can be an issue.

This time around I'm not looking to do anything relic-like or even one of those DuPont shades. They're just too hard to get right and I can't fade them. Even thought of going natural as the wood's quite a nice two-piece.

I'd like faded shell pink like this.

faded shell pink.jpg
faded shell pink.jpg (92.78 KiB) Viewed 88 times

But think I'd end up with this...

kitty.jpg
kitty.jpg (67.26 KiB) Viewed 88 times
BY StratMatt
GrantB wrote:
Molly wrote:I use Timbermate too. I used to use a mortar and pestle to get it really smooth. I learned a lot from this build:

GrantB wrote:You’ll run a sealer coat first, right!!!

Just to clarify because this isn't something I knew to do. So, a sealer coat is an initial coat of paint (nitro aerosol in the case of my present Strat refin) applied before you do the first grain fill?

I'm at the 'stripping off the old finish' stage. Nice two-piece MJT alder body.

What is the ratio of the mix you use? Nitro lacquer I assume?

If i wanted a natural wood finish would it be acceptable to give it a sealer coat as you say, grain fill and then finish it off with one more seal coat do you think?
BY GrantB
I reckon you’d need more than one more.

Yes, nitro. I’d go 50/50 with thinner. Also, don’t use like Bunnings acetone. Use the one designed for for your paint. I reckon I use $50 product alone for each finish.