Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Kev77
Mr Echo
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 357 times
Been liked: 283 times

Who does satin neck finishes?

Post by Kev77 »

I’ve got a few projects on the go and need some quality geezer to apply some vintage satin tints to three new unfinished necks.
Can any recommend people,?
Last edited by Kev77 on Fri May 01, 2020 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Cash on the ballot, money to burn, Dealey Plaza, make a left-hand turn" Bob Dylan is a genius

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7724 times
Been liked: 4169 times

Re: Who does satin neck finishes?

Post by jeremyb »

What about just using a few coats of tru-oil?
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Kev77
Mr Echo

Post by Kev77 »

The oils never been my jam.
"Cash on the ballot, money to burn, Dealey Plaza, make a left-hand turn" Bob Dylan is a genius

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 125 times
Been liked: 386 times

Post by Kris »

scotch brite? pretty sure thats what my tech dude used to use
hate big gloopy finished necks

Kev77
Mr Echo

Post by Kev77 »

It’s for new unfinished necks

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

so are you doing a "vintage" stain mixed into a clear lacquer? ... if so then just apply as normal and then wet sand it to thin it and then don't polish it.
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2483 times

Post by Slowy »

Kev77 wrote:The oils never been my jam.
That's because it's oil, not jam silly.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by willow13 »

I'm with you on that. I have done 2 oiled necks and just never like them so ended up spraying them

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

willow13 wrote:
I'm with you on that. I have done 2 oiled necks and just never like them so ended up spraying them
Did you put it in thickly or something? A few thin coats, buffed between each makes a neck feel awesome!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by willow13 »

jeremyb wrote:
willow13 wrote:
Did you put it in thickly or something? A few thin coats, buffed between each makes a neck feel awesome!
nope...mind you I didn't buff either ... I never do that as last time I did it with lacquer it ripped the shit out of it ...obviously I didn't let it cure enough :rofl: never gone back :rofl:

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 456 times
Been liked: 406 times

Post by dayl »

Danish oil is a lacquer and you can add tints to obtain the colour/tint you want. You need to build up the finish but it feels good. Alternatively you can use Danish oil to get the tint then put a satin coat over top.

Alternative is the tru oil approach as noted already, but its time consuming building up the layers (but worth it ?) once that's been done, tru oil is amazing when finished off with a good waxing.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Having done a few necks with tru-oil I'd stick to 3-4 light coats at most, keep the natural wood feel but protect it from your greasy mitts :)

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2483 times

Post by Slowy »

dayl wrote:Danish oil is a lacquer and you can add tints to obtain the colour/tint you want. You need to build up the finish but it feels good. Alternatively you can use Danish oil to get the tint then put a satin coat over top.

Alternative is the tru oil approach as noted already, but its time consuming building up the layers (but worth it ?) once that's been done, tru oil is amazing when finished off with a good waxing.
My Korinacaster's tru oil neck is now 10 years old. It's an unblemished soft satin, smooth and slippery. The best finish and most durable I've ever had. But I agree, the application is important; less is more.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

dayl wrote:Danish oil is a lacquer and you can add tints to obtain the colour/tint you want. You need to build up the finish but it feels good. Alternatively you can use Danish oil to get the tint then put a satin coat over top.

JB likes to be finished off with a good waxing.
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Conway wrote:

JB likes to be finished off with a good waxing.
Finished off???? Thats how you get me started!!