Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1633 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Four string parlour something made by Ermelinda Silvestri

Post by Jay »

Many years ago I got something from our Mr Bob Iron and he must have wondered what the hell I did with it for all those years. The answer is nothing until a couple of days ago. So I cut the strings, took the tuners, tailpiece and bridge off and started cleaning the inside from years of dust. That is when I noticed a small piece of the original label floating inside. Got it out and and started hunting on the web to see if I could find the manufacturer and brand name. I think Bobiron also had no idea what it was at the time. Btw, that is a brass fret from the guitar.

Anyway, after a couple of hours hunting on the web (what else do you do during lockdown?) I found the manufacturer's label:
Label Capture.JPG
Label Capture.JPG (49.8 KiB) Viewed 4639 times
So now I know who made it but I cannot not find ANY four string tenor guitar that this company made. My best guess at the moment is that is was made between 1926 and 1950. Any help appreciated :D

TBC
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Re: Four string parlour something made by Ermelinda Silvestri

Post by Jay »

Headstock tuner holes work done by some one else, not sure if it was Bobiron. Non original tuners taken off, cleaned and 'oiled' and ready for putting back on. Broken bone nut removed. It was glued both onto the neck and onto the fretboard so the fix not done by a professional.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jay »

Original bridge, I quite like the attention to detail. Non original tailpiece for a 6 string. Would like to find out what an original tail piece looks like.

All brass frets removed, fretboard leveled, slots cleaned and checked for depth... and... I do have the correct fretwire for the slots :)

Lostininverness
Gibson
Has liked: 499 times
Been liked: 136 times

Post by Lostininverness »

the body looks in great shape. Looking forward to seeing it all back together.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1016 times
Been liked: 2478 times

Post by Slowy »

This is wonderful!
So do you think it's a Tenor guitar? I was looking for enough holes on the head to provide 4 strings per side but I don't think so.
Regardless, a Tenor guitar would be a thing of wonder and joy. :D
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

WellyBlues
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 523 times
Been liked: 353 times

Post by WellyBlues »

Dedication and talent on display. Cool project.
Slowy wrote: Ultimately though, guitars are like women. On paper there's not much difference but only a few can make you happy.
Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote: And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations Well, I have really good days

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jay »

Slowy wrote:This is wonderful!
So do you think it's a Tenor guitar? I was looking for enough holes on the head to provide 4 strings per side but I don't think so.
The headstock has only got 4 tuners. E Silvestri made many mandolins, guitars and some Ukes. I think this is a tenor or baritone Uke but haven't found anything to back this up. They made Ukuleles between 1926 and 1950 so that is why I think it may be from that era. I am hoping for Laurie's expertise to clear this one up. It has a solid top and the scale length is about 525mm.

I will put upper and lower bout dimensions up tomorrow as well as neck width at nut and 12th fret.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1016 times
Been liked: 2478 times

Post by Slowy »

Jay wrote:
Slowy wrote:This is wonderful!
The headstock has only got 4 tuners. E Silvestri made many mandolins, guitars and some Ukes. I think this is a tenor or baritone Uke but haven't found anything to back this up. They made Ukuleles between 1926 and 1950 so that is why I think it may be from that era. I am hoping for Laurie's expertise to clear this one up. It has a solid top and the scale length is about 525mm.

I will put upper and lower bout dimensions up tomorrow as well as neck width at nut and 12th fret.
Following this project with interest!
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

k1w1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 391 times

Post by k1w1 »

Me too, sorry no idea on this luthier, Italian guitars I have little knowledge of. It does look like it was a 6 string at some point, seems to have a couple of plugs in the headstock.

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

I love it when you start a thread like this... looking forward to following the progress! :-)
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jay »

k1w1 wrote:Me too, sorry no idea on this luthier, Italian guitars I have little knowledge of. It does look like it was a 6 string at some point, seems to have a couple of plugs in the headstock.
No, someone filled the old tuner holes and re-positioned them. Definitely 4 string unit. Have a look at the dimensions below and tell me if you agree it was always a four string instrument. Unless some talented basterd changed the neck on this one which I don't see any evidence of. (But then you would expect that from a good luthier I suppose).

For those who don't know how to read a ruler: :wink:
Nut - 32mm
12th fret - 41mm
Upper bout - about 203mm
Lowe bout - about 270mm

And I am just thinking, refretting with the nickle stuff will look rather shiny, would be good to have some of the coloured fret wire to keep it in line with its vintage.

bobiron
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by bobiron »

Good to see this being moved along and great to talk to you yesterday about this. I was given this by a guitar friend of mine some 20+ years ago, who had the intention of passing it on to his son one day. I did no work on this, the peghead holes were as I received it and the neck was sanded down. I did put some strings on it to see what it would sound like with some cheap tuners.
I had no idea of the age, but its great it being brought back to life. Lets catchup when its complete.
OMM OM MM OMM MM