Building a Strat. How hard can it be...?

Self built and self assembly ;)

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2488 times
Been liked: 2799 times

Building a Strat. How hard can it be...?

Post by Molly »

I'm guessing very hard. Dipping my toe in and looking around at just how deep a rabbit hole it might be. Certainly if it was a one-off. Saw this template on AliExpress. Cheap crap or worth a go?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3297601 ... ltXjT&mp=1
ali.JPG
ali.JPG (119.38 KiB) Viewed 4261 times
Then there's this pretty inspirational series of videos from Fletcher Guitars.

Hmm, I just think I'll get about forty hours in and fuck it up so it ends up as scrap. I did a night school class a good thirteen years ago. Made a really nice mahogany body - a sort of slightly smaller Jackson Soloist body - and ruined it with one careless removal of the router whilst trying to do the neck pocket.

Anybody else here cack-handed but nevertheless succeeded? Any tips?

Mini Forklift

Re: Building a Strat. How hard can it be...?

Post by Mini Forklift »

I'm starting to look for alternative places to buy things from. The last three things I have orderd from AliExpress never arrived (a watch, a watch strap and a Chinese TV box for the MIL); despite me not receiving them the all three of the tracking said that they had successfully been delivered. No idea what happens to them, whether they're all just sitting in the corner of a depot somewhere or they ended up going back to the sender? I've never been denied a refund to date, it's just starting to become a PITA when you wait ages for something and then have to open a dispute because the seller can't be arsed to respond to your messages

Good luck Molly, does certainly look like a fun project

ChAoZ
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 291 times

Post by ChAoZ »

I know I'm only new and I hope it doesn't look wrong but - I have templates available
Should add that I will help when asked too, all while trying not to come across as a know-all
Attachments
1203220499.jpg
1203220499.jpg (359.95 KiB) Viewed 4249 times

Bigreddog
Stagg
Stagg
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 18 times

Post by Bigreddog »

ChAoZ wrote:I know I'm only new and I hope it doesn't look wrong but - I have templates available
Should add that I will help when asked too, all while trying not to come across as a know-all
Mate they look good, what are you after for a set of them?

WellyBlues
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 523 times
Been liked: 353 times

Post by WellyBlues »

Have you done a full assembly of one yet? If not, is that a better place to start? You'd get an idea of what's involved. Get the separate body, neck etc and finish them and assemble.

Alternatively, go for it. Winters coming and you have a woodburner :lol:
Slowy wrote: Ultimately though, guitars are like women. On paper there's not much difference but only a few can make you happy.
Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote: And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations Well, I have really good days

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

Template :shock: jesus I still just freehand stuff :rofl: . Just trace around a strat and go from there

probably bad advice but I like to make things hard for myself :mrgreen:
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1209 times
Been liked: 1401 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Easy !!!

Screen Shot 2020-04-14 at 4.34.29 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-04-14 at 4.34.29 PM.jpg (246.15 KiB) Viewed 4208 times
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

ChAoZ
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 291 times

Post by ChAoZ »

Bigreddog wrote:Mate they look good, what are you after for a set of them?
I sell them for $99 incl postage - keen to swap for parts and wood

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2264 times
Been liked: 3907 times

Post by Bg »

Molly wrote:Anybody else here cack-handed but nevertheless succeeded? Any tips?
Yes, if you fuck it up, just fix it and paint it - paint hides a multitude of sins, even Adrian has done that.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

ChAoZ wrote:I know I'm only new and I hope it doesn't look wrong but - I have templates available
They look cool. Was just looking at Fletcher's template set. Starts to add up once you get the contour templates etc. Dollar is pretty much at parity with the AU$ at the moment though which helps a bit.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

WellyBlues wrote:Have you done a full assembly of one yet? If not, is that a better place to start? You'd get an idea of what's involved. Get the separate body, neck etc and finish them and assemble.

Alternatively, go for it. Winters coming and you have a woodburner :lol:
I've assembled quite a few and painted a couple but nothing involving woodwork.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1633 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

Someone is reading the forum...
https://www.bidbud.co.nz/2597358562
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

Lawrence
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 605 times

Post by Lawrence »

Molly wrote:
They look cool. Was just looking at Fletcher's template set. Starts to add up once you get the contour templates etc. Dollar is pretty much at parity with the AU$ at the moment though which helps a bit.
dont even consider the contour templates ....just get the rasp out and be creative! :)
GrantB wrote:
“You might be cool, but you’ll never be playing a white Steinberger through a JC120, wearing a white jumpsuit with white shoes and sporting a mullet cool”.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2483 times

Post by Slowy »

Molly wrote:I'm guessing very hard. Dipping my toe in and looking around at just how deep a rabbit hole it might be. Certainly if it was a one-off. Saw this template on AliExpress. Cheap crap or worth a go?
OK. Rule 1. Build a Telecaster. More straightforward, less to cock up and probably sounds better too.

Start with decent wood. Shape accordingly, assemble straight and screw good stuff into it. You may get a brilliant guitar but at the worst, you've wasted a body and got all the good stuff to bolt onto the next promising Tele that comes your way.

And by the time you've got it right, you'll love building a Strat. :D
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Lostininverness
Gibson
Has liked: 499 times
Been liked: 136 times

Post by Lostininverness »

You should just give it a go Brian. It''s not that hard to build one. If you have concerns, start with a bought neck and build around that. You've got the experience of putting partscasters together so you know how everything should fit, and you've done refinishing which is probably the hardest bit.