Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7692 times
Been liked: 4159 times

Re: The Stratosphere

Post by jeremyb »

Mike Clayton wrote:That's great - does the saving exclude the cost of a Fender hard case (i.e. does comparable price include a hard case)? And which model Strat is it? Cheers
I'm too low rent to have bought a Fender that comes with a hard case, this is a mexi 60s road worn, which would come with a soft case normally I imagine.
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

codedog wrote:
Molly wrote:Finally got around to looking at the website. Christ, I could spend a fortune.
What did you think of the website? It's an infuriatingly frustrating site to navigate and search for any particular thing! I would love to, and can, spend some money there but it's nigh on impossible to browse for anything in particular!
I just sorted the necks and bodies by price and looked through the CS stuff. Not really cheap enough to justify the effort though.

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1309 times
Been liked: 867 times

Post by MikeC »

jeremyb wrote:
Mike Clayton wrote:That's great - does the saving exclude the cost of a Fender hard case (i.e. does comparable price include a hard case)? And which model Strat is it? Cheers
I'm too low rent to have bought a Fender that comes with a hard case, this is a mexi 60s road worn, which would come with a soft case normally I imagine.
Well $850.00 is a hell of a saving! Do you mind saying what it cost you all up?
Whakanuia o mea kei a koe

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Mike Clayton wrote:
jeremyb wrote:
Well $850.00 is a hell of a saving! Do you mind saying what it cost you all up?
Ummm about $1550 landed, equivalent guitar here would be $2399 so pretty decent way to buy something you really want buy can't get locally!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MikeC »

That's excellent - will check out The Stratosphere next time I'm in the market :D

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

jeremyb wrote:
Ummm about $1550 landed, equivalent guitar here would be $2399 so pretty decent way to buy something you really want buy can't get locally!
Been back and had another look. Messaged to ask if they'd, say, remove some hardware so I could get it through in two orders under $1k etc. but that's a no-go. Sadly, it just doesn't add-up for me.

Body with hardware and shipping NZ$1,750
Neck with plate NZ$2,500
Total plus GST = $5,100 and that's without a case and using my own pickups.

Bugger. :-(

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MikeC »

The Stratosphere takes a complete guitar that costs say $US1300.00 and by "parting it out" they can sell it all for say $US1600.00. That's their business model. It can be to our advantage if we get the guitar (or part) we want and avoid the 15% GST, but if we want a complete guitar with a case then it probably doesn't work - a case is bloody big! As always you have to do your homework :geek:

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Yeah it won't always add up, if you're a low rent mexi guy like me then its going to make a big saving, but yeah the custom shop stuff is ridiculous prices (regardless of where its sourced).

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MikeC »

jeremyb wrote:Yeah it won't always add up, if you're a low rent mexi guy like me then its going to make a big saving, but yeah the custom shop stuff is ridiculous prices (regardless of where its sourced).
True, and freight out of the USA is ridiculous too!

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2255 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

I've found freight from Europe to be sensible, us sellers seem to just charge the highest rate they can and thats it.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.