Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Bg
Site Admin
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Re: Fabric finish

Post by Bg »

is that actually a tone approved epoxy? I mean as recommended by the gurus at the gear page?
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

AiRdAd wrote:That looks fantastic! How did you do the edges? That would be difficult to make look nice wouldn't it?
looks like the fabric is only on the top so I would glue it down and let it "set" then sand along then edge and paint. You would see any seem then
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

Bg wrote:is that actually a tone approved epoxy? I mean as recommended by the gurus at the gear page?
lets face it all glue has tone. 99% of guitars have glue somewhere on the body or neck :rofl:
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

willow13 wrote:
Bg wrote:is that actually a tone approved epoxy? I mean as recommended by the gurus at the gear page?
lets face it all glue has tone. 99% of guitars have glue somewhere on the body or neck :rofl:
Yeah but its the percentage of glue to wood.

My cabs aren't glued in any way, the joints are so tight no glue is needed and the tweed holds itself there by love alone.

It adds up to a fantastic tone :D
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Terexgeek
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1224 times
Been liked: 375 times

Post by Terexgeek »

Bg wrote:
willow13 wrote:

My cabs aren't glued in any way, the joints are so tight no glue is needed and the tweed holds itself there by love alone.

You use jizz to stick the tweed?

That's as committed as the urinenium relic juice.
Tin arse!!

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Terexgeek wrote:
Bg wrote:
willow13 wrote:

You use jizz to stick the tweed?

That's as committed as the urinenium relic juice.
Of course, is there another way?

Basket Case
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 108 times

Post by Basket Case »

AiRdAd wrote:That looks fantastic! How did you do the edges? That would be difficult to make look nice wouldn't it?
Yeah that was a bit tricky but the edges aren't very rounded on this one so it wasn't so bad. If it was a strat body it would be more difficult and you would have to fade/burst the edges.

Basket Case
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Basket Case »

I gave the guy at Bunnings the secret password and took me out back to where they stash the NOS epoxy.

Basket Case
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Basket Case »

willow13 wrote:
looks like the fabric is only on the top so I would glue it down and let it "set" then sand along then edge and paint. You would see any seem then
This. I also put a few coats of paint on the edges before doing the fabric which helped it blend in better too.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

I misunderstood how you did this. I thought you used the material as a mask, the sprayed a white guitar black, then removed it to reveal the design.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

Great job, looks fantastic and if I were none the wiser I'd say it had been professionally done. Good choice of fabric too, really highlights the curves of the guitar

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

:lol:

On a serious note, you could put emgs on an anvil and it would sound the same :mrgreen:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Basket Case
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Basket Case »

Molly wrote:I misunderstood how you did this. I thought you used the material as a mask, the sprayed a white guitar black, then removed it to reveal the design.
If you could procure one of your Nana's doilies you could try that :lol: Here's a pretty good explanation except he uses a water-based sealer rather than epoxy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO6YLBjYcmU

MakoGat
Squier
Been liked: 115 times

Post by MakoGat »

Back in the day as a car painter we used to use net curtains as a stencil, tape it over the white roof of a car, mask everything else, spray colour over the net, remove net and clear coat. Looks quite cool - just dont tell mum you nicked her curtains lol.
Nice work