Self built and self assembly ;)

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

BY werdna
My tele has a stripey top and dark blue stain. I want to change it to aqua/turquoise. I am going to need some advice, and some help with supplies.

1. what is the easiest way to strip the existing lacquer? There is a plastic binding which I don't want to damage.
2. does anyone have some black dye to do the stripes, please?
3. does anyone have any turquoise/aqua dye, please?
4. what's the best cheap electric spray outfit for this kind of job?

Cheers!
BY MakoGat
At guess id paint strip it (beware that stuff is lethal) sand, clear seal, sand, clear seal, apply stripes, tint topcoat, spray, sand, spray, sand, spray, sand, spray, wet and dry, polish. Lots of work.
BY werdna
MakoGat wrote:At guess id paint strip it (beware that stuff is lethal) sand, clear seal, sand, clear seal, apply stripes, tint topcoat, spray, sand, spray, sand, spray, sand, spray, wet and dry, polish. Lots of work.

Will the stripper destroy the plastic binding?
BY Bg
werdna wrote:
MakoGat wrote:At guess id paint strip it (beware that stuff is lethal) sand, clear seal, sand, clear seal, apply stripes, tint topcoat, spray, sand, spray, sand, spray, sand, spray, wet and dry, polish. Lots of work.

Yes it probably will....

You need to really take that down to bare wood if its been dyed before, and probably further if its not been sealed properly. I've not done a guitar with binding, grant would be your best bet to comment, I could be wrong but I'd be steering clear of stripper, unless I was planning on rebinding. And obviously avoid heat gun!!!
BY MakoGat
Bg wrote:
werdna wrote:

Yes it probably will....

You need to really take that down to bare wood if its been dyed before, and probably further if its not been sealed properly. I've not done a guitar with binding, grant would be your best bet to comment, I could be wrong but I'd be steering clear of stripper, unless I was planning on rebinding. And obviously avoid heat gun!!!

The other option is just sand back to bare wood.....
BY jeremyb
I think you should heat gun it and replace the binding, can't see an easy way to not destroy it!
BY Bg
Conway wrote:Just put a solid colour over it. Cobra blue is very nice. :wink:

Nah its tacky in a gold toilet sort of way....