codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Warmoth necks

Post by codedog »

kdawg's recent post about the Warmoth neck on his tasty Tele made me think about this. If I was looking at one, should I get the 4 holes pre-drilled? I have a couple of MIM Strat candidates, a Standard and a Player. The latter has the same 2 post bridge as MIA Standard. Can I assume it will fit Warmoth necks, which are built to MIA Standard neck pocket?

werdna
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 590 times
Been liked: 458 times

Re: Warmoth necks

Post by werdna »

I'd get the neck pre-drilled. I'd filled the body holes will dowl. Then I'd re-drill the body holes using the neck holes as a guide. Borrow someone's vertical drill press for precision.
In life, don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

I'd not drill it, if you're using a neck plate use that as a guide :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 238 times
Been liked: 1040 times

Post by kdawg2a »

codedog wrote:kdawg's recent post about the Warmoth neck on his tasty Tele made me think about this. If I was looking at one, should I get the 4 holes pre-drilled? I have a couple of MIM Strat candidates, a Standard and a Player. The latter has the same 2 post bridge as MIA Standard. Can I assume it will fit Warmoth necks, which are built to MIA Standard neck pocket?
I've always drilled my own. If you go down that path and need a hand just let me know.
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

kdawg2a wrote:
codedog wrote:kdawg's recent post about the Warmoth neck on his tasty Tele made me think about this. If I was looking at one, should I get the 4 holes pre-drilled? I have a couple of MIM Strat candidates, a Standard and a Player. The latter has the same 2 post bridge as MIA Standard. Can I assume it will fit Warmoth necks, which are built to MIA Standard neck pocket?
I've always drilled my own. If you go down that path and need a hand just let me know.
Brilliant, thanks dawg! Last time I had a non-predrilled neck I got Alan Farrow to do it. The neck was ever so slightly misaligned, with the 1st string ever so slightly closer to the edge. It was enough for me to notice. However, my playing is so shit I can't be sure if the effect on my playing was just an OCD-triggered mind-block, or actually due to the misalignment.

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

If possible - I like to be able to put any of my necks on any of my bodies. If all/most of your bodies have the same drill pattern, I'd do the neck the same as that - and vice versa if most/all of the necks are the same :-)
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

Lostininverness
Gibson
Has liked: 499 times
Been liked: 136 times

Post by Lostininverness »

Agree with the wisdom of getting non-drilled and drill the neck to suit the body. Just don't forget that the end of the neck is different depending on a tele or strat neck.