ChAoZ
Ashton
Ashton
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 291 times

Re: What's on your work bench?

Post by ChAoZ »

Ah, finally someone else who uses a puriri fretboard. How do you find it when comparing with rosewood and ebony?

Similar to Rosewood to work with - although most of the work was done by CNC, Nothing compares with Ebony :crybaby:
Last edited by ChAoZ on Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lawrence
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 605 times

Post by Lawrence »

Happy New Year everybody.

here are some more progress pics. Still lots to do!

GrantB wrote:
“You might be cool, but you’ll never be playing a white Steinberger through a JC120, wearing a white jumpsuit with white shoes and sporting a mullet cool”.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7692 times
Been liked: 4159 times

Post by jeremyb »

Aroused!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3465 times
Been liked: 711 times

Post by Cdog »

Roadcase for amp heads. Work in progress :)

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Cdog »

Lawrence wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:17 am Happy New Year everybody.

here are some more progress pics. Still lots to do
You sir, have quite a talent. I'm really excited to see how this build turns out! Thanks for the pics :)

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Cdog »

Pretty much done now... Just need a little extra foam on the internal walls, and to attach the ball corners. The lid seal is foam tape. Built using a few recycled parts from an old case and feet saved from a corner 'entertainment unit' we had 20 years ago. :lol: :)

Lostininverness
Gibson
Has liked: 499 times
Been liked: 136 times

Post by Lostininverness »

Jay wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:43 pm
Lostininverness wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:21 pm
Jay wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:11 pm

Almost done... need to fill the tiny slot openings left under the tang... See last photo for detail. I think you had a solution for that? Please do tell :D
Looking sweet! I've done dust from the board and both wood glue and CA. Even CA by itself will dry pretty dark, but does mean that the frets will be glued in - may not be what you want?

Oh - and quick question - do you put anything on your puriri fret boards? Just finishing off a neck and wondering if I should put any fret board oil on it or not.
Thanks. I seem to recall that GrantB used wax mixed with rosewood sandings? Anyway, regardless, that is what I did with the spills from sanding the fret board. Came out fine.

I used Briwax teak oil for the puriri fretboard but limited it to 3 "cloth rubbed on" coats only. Brings out the grain and streaks beautifully...

Don't forget to post photos of it!
OK, its a bit of a crap photo, but........
Puriri.JPG
Puriri.JPG (4.54 MiB) Viewed 1550 times

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

That looks good despite the crappy photo. Did you use Briwax? Put a good photo up when you have a moment please.
Also, did you make the puriri fretboard blank thinner or used it as it came?
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

Lostininverness
Gibson

Jay wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:51 pm That looks good despite the crappy photo. Did you use Briwax? Put a good photo up when you have a moment please.
Thanks! No, I just used some fretboard oil on it. It was enough to just darken a little and bring out the grain slightly but not do anything to the feel of it. It's not for me, so not sure how much to adjust the feel of it incase the recipient doesn't like it. It popped a lot more on the sides where I used truoil on the main part of the neck.

Yeah, will try and take a better one, might try in direct light. I'm crap with taking photos!

And yes, I did need to thin it down a few mm I think.....took it down to about 7mm and then lost a little more due to the radius sanding. It's really nice timber to use.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jay »

Lostininverness wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:19 am
Jay wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:51 pm That looks good despite the crappy photo. Did you use Briwax? Put a good photo up when you have a moment please.
Thanks, It's really nice timber to use.
If you need the history.... it was cut from a large branch from a very large tree with a trunk diameter of over 1m. The tree is still growing strongly and was/is a key feature of the property. The original outhouse was located under it, which must have contributed to its lush growth...

Lostininverness
Gibson

Jay wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:39 am
If you need the history.... it was cut from a large branch from a very large tree with a trunk diameter of over 1m. The tree is still growing strongly and was/is a key feature of the property. The original outhouse was located under it, which must have contributed to its lush growth...
Excellent. Good to see that the main tree is still going strong. Nice to think that the tree now has part of you in it as well!

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jay »

Lostininverness wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:22 am
Jay wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:39 am
Excellent. Good to see that the main tree is still going strong. Nice to think that the tree now has part of you in it as well!
Outhouse usage was long gone before I met inlaws, so only inlaws 'minerals' have been absorbed by the tree... You could argue that rather than that the fretboard plays like butter, it plays like !@#$ :D

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 752 times
Been liked: 252 times

Post by Miza »

Not sure if this is the right thread for pedal builds, but just finished another pedal. PCB is the Vanilla Shake from DIYGuitarPedals.com.au The enclosure was designed by forum member Twangsnarl (you still here Hamish?).
20220107_193751.jpg
20220107_193751.jpg (3.03 MiB) Viewed 1403 times
First time I've put top-mounted jacks on a 1590B box. Tight fit, but made it work 😏
20220107_193802.jpg
20220107_193802.jpg (2.86 MiB) Viewed 1403 times
And here's a shot of the workbench for the holidays
20220107_193739.jpg
20220107_193739.jpg (3.77 MiB) Viewed 1403 times
Nothing to see here.

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 596 times

Post by Starfire »

Miza wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:54 pm Not sure if this is the right thread for pedal builds, but just finished another pedal. PCB is the Vanilla Shake from DIYGuitarPedals.com.au The enclosure was designed by forum member Twangsnarl (you still here Hamish?).
Yep — I had a username change about 4 years ago. :lol:

Looks good! I'd forgotten about that one. Surprisingly, I don't dislike the design after all these years; I usually hate everything I did in the past. I think that was the last 'design' I did until recently. Have some different ideas and probably some better design skills now, but that one's survived much better than I would've thought.

What are the two LEDs and switch for?

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 752 times
Been liked: 252 times

Post by Miza »

Starfire wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:17 pm
Miza wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:54 pm Not sure if this is the right thread for pedal builds, but just finished another pedal. PCB is the Vanilla Shake from DIYGuitarPedals.com.au The enclosure was designed by forum member Twangsnarl (you still here Hamish?).
Yep — I had a username change about 4 years ago. :lol:

Looks good! I'd forgotten about that one. Surprisingly, I don't dislike the design after all these years; I usually hate everything I did in the past. I think that was the last 'design' I did until recently. Have some different ideas and probably some better design skills now, but that one's survived much better than I would've thought.

What are the two LEDs and switch for?
Oh right, ha ha! Sorry.

The switch is fast/slow and the LED underneath shows the speed. The one next to the footswitch is on/off. I did consider hooking the speed light to the footswitch but then I like seeing what the speed is doing before engaging the pedal.
Nothing to see here.