Self built and self assembly ;)

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

User avatar
BY jeremyb
#861742
Voxshall wrote:My girlfriend brought a can of tinted nitro to redo the headstock on her strat so I thought I’d use the opportunity to touch up one of mine at the same time.


I'm touching up mine right now thinking about a girlfriend who is not only into guitars but nitro! :mrgreen:
User avatar
BY Molly
#861743
Voxshall wrote:
Ha ha yeah there is a massive variation in the fender headstock shape, also a lot of variation in headstock thickness, thinner in the 50’s compared to 60’s. My girlfriend brought a can of tinted nitro to redo the headstock on her strat so I thought I’d use the opportunity to touch up one of mine at the same time.


Buying aerosols of nitro I found they couldn't provide an amber clear. Just solid colors. I want to refinish my MJT Olympic white but follow that up with amber clear before aging / relic work. Can I ask where she got it from?
User avatar
BY werdna
#861762
jeremyb wrote:
Voxshall wrote:My girlfriend brought a can of tinted nitro to redo the headstock on her strat so I thought I’d use the opportunity to touch up one of mine at the same time.


I'm touching up mine right now thinking about a girlfriend who is not only into guitars but nitro! :mrgreen:

Best post of the year!
User avatar
BY werdna
#861763
Wanting to refinish the top of a tele. It's stained blue with clear nitro. Want to stain it black, sand it back, stain with turquoise and clear coat in nitro.

1. Removing nitro - I can use acetone. But will acetone melt the plastic binding?
2. Removing nitro - is paint stripper useful, and will it melt the plastic binding?
3. Does anyone have any black or turquoise stain please?
4. I am going to show photos - full swimming pool.
BY Voxshall
#861764
Molly wrote:
Voxshall wrote:
Ha ha yeah there is a massive variation in the fender headstock shape, also a lot of variation in headstock thickness, thinner in the 50’s compared to 60’s. My girlfriend brought a can of tinted nitro to redo the headstock on her strat so I thought I’d use the opportunity to touch up one of mine at the same time.


Buying aerosols of nitro I found they couldn't provide an amber clear. Just solid colors. I want to refinish my MJT Olympic white but follow that up with amber clear before aging / relic work. Can I ask where she got it from?


Wairau Paint Centre, she had to leave her guitar neck with them for the day so they could match the colour perfectly, I haven't seen the results yet but will let you know how it goes.
BY Jay
#861768
werdna wrote:Wanting to refinish the top of a tele. It's stained blue with clear nitro. Want to stain it black, sand it back, stain with turquoise and clear coat in nitro.

1. Removing nitro - I can use acetone. But will acetone melt the plastic binding?
2. Removing nitro - is paint stripper useful, and will it melt the plastic binding?
3. Does anyone have any black or turquoise stain please?
4. I am going to show photos - full swimming pool.


1. yes
2. don't know, probably

Use gentle heat and a scraper. Then sanding. You need some patience :)
User avatar
BY Bg
#861774
jeremyb wrote:For dye I've used these: https://www.bunnings.co.nz/search/produ ... ageSize=60 on a couple of bodies now, then tru-oil over the top, makes a really great finish :)

The blue is quite turquoisey: https://www.briwax.co.nz/WoodDyes.php#spirit


I have a shitload of the briwax black (and red) it goes a long long way, so can give you some for free...

1/ yes
2/ yes
I believe those to be true - however I've not proved it thankfully.
BY ChAoZ
#861796
Fiebings leather dye from eBay work well for me
Attachments
81375681_2554983254620956_4037455724245155840_o.jpg
81375681_2554983254620956_4037455724245155840_o.jpg (359.35 KiB) Viewed 316 times
User avatar
BY Slowy
#861807
werdna wrote:I looked at that guitar and felt the impulse to burn a wooden church.

.....with the congregation still inside.
User avatar
BY Bg
#861810
makes me want dot markers at the very least...
User avatar
BY Basket Case
#861821
Potentially on my work bench is my Variax JTV-59. Great guitar in every way except the neck is just too chunky- it's supposedly a '59 LP profile. It's also at least 3mm wider than all my other guitars. Thinking of doing the unimaginable and carving the neck. I have a pretty good plan of how I would go about it, and some experience with making a neck from scratch, but any advice? Should I just leave it alone?
  • 1
  • 21
  • 22
  • 23
  • 24
  • 25
  • 27