Self built and self assembly ;)

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

BY jvpp
Lostininverness wrote:
jvpp wrote:Ebony is such a pleasure to work with...
Next cutting slots and then shaping for correct intonation. Going to have 11-52 flatwounds

Tail piece with leader & ebony bridge (WiP) 20200113_200819.jpg

Thats real nice! Where do you get the ebony from?

Bought some for fretboards, binding, bridges, etc a couple of yours ago at Timpac Mt Roskill; They should still have some but you need to check before you buy as it can have nasty splits which will reduce your yield of the plank... Pricey too.
BY MakoGat
Heres the next build, chambered body going to have a rosewood cap. Starting chamber template today but struggling to find more ply or mdf for body template...

BY MakoGat
Its just Basswood, its all I've got available at the moment, going to use some mahogany grain filler on it to see how that goes. I have all the parts and a ton of rosewood cap material I sourced, just need the body.
BY MakoGat
Next up is a Silverburst Tele with P90s and a Maple vintage gloss neck.

Both will be for sale on TM once we are released from lockdown.
BY Lostininverness
MakoGat wrote:Its just Basswood, its all I've got available at the moment, going to use some mahogany grain filler on it to see how that goes. I have all the parts and a ton of rosewood cap material I sourced, just need the body.

Looking good! Did you build the neck as well - set or bolt on?
BY k1w1
I have had this for a few years, the previous owners instead of doing a refret had scalloped the fretboard as the frets got low. No truss rod or bar in this neck, a 1943 Harmony Cremona II.

It got to where after doing a refret the neck started to banana as the very thick fretboard had to be thinned a lot to get it level. So I pulled the neck and sent it to a mate in California, he installed 2 carbon fibre rods and a new fretboard.

The guitar is spruce over mahogany and has an other world sound, it is so light and has a wooden tailpiece due to wartime metal restrictions in the USA.

About to reset the neck and get her playing.

ImageIMG_2025 by Laurie Franks, on Flickr
BY jvpp
Did this before lockdown started and had no chance to progress this sadly.
20mm mahogany from head board. Disassembled a mahogany drawer cabinet last month so have enough for the second pancake. Or I may use a different timber yet. Not sure.

Mahogany cutout 1 - 20200404_191929.jpg
Mahogany cutout 1 - 20200404_191929.jpg (366.14 KiB) Viewed 66 times
BY dayl
Doing my best to keep busy slapping together some random bits an bobs.

Have an old Mahog RG 321 body here that I thought I would use for some beveling practice. Turning it from an RG to a RGD.
So far so good imo. All the rough / medium finishing done so now its time for the last bit of shaping. If it turns out to be usable I have a donor neck/trem for it.

BY GrantB
rickenbackerkid wrote:Finished my Marshall Cab restore job. Big thanks to JB for the Marshall logo!

JB, what a good bastard!
BY Slowy
Did a textured coating on my two 1x12s. Watched a couple of application videos to get me in the mood then had at it.

The result was......interesting. What could possibly go wrong? Quite a lot actually. :oops: They made it look so simple but I have a patchwork of textures even though I thought I'd followed the techniques. Might have another shot at it tomorrow but I'm really glad they're my cabs not someone else's!

IMG_3353.JPG
IMG_3353.JPG (713.71 KiB) Viewed 24 times