Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Re: What's on your work bench?

Post by robthemac »

Hnnnng that checking...
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

murky
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 270 times
Been liked: 293 times

Post by murky »

JoeBlow wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:00 pm Beautiful Lester there, Murky.
robthemac wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:09 pm Hnnnng that checking...
Yeah, she's a special one......criminal to put anything other than a thin strap on her.....

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Doesn’t that dig into your shoulders with such a boat anchor as a Les Paul attached to it?
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

murky
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by murky »

jeremyb wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:14 pm Doesn’t that dig into your shoulders with such a boat anchor as a Les Paul attached to it?
Was waiting for someone to ask….

Nah, it kind of fits in the groove. Wide strap cutting into your neck, or slippery webbing slipping off the shoulder, is more annoying.

Also: Long strap = lower centre of gravity = more comfortable. It’s like: big boobs will cause back problems, but big balls act as ballast and keep the ship upright in a storm.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

murky wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:37 pm
JoeBlow wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:00 pm Beautiful Lester there, Murky.
robthemac wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:09 pm Hnnnng that checking...
Yeah, she's a special one......criminal to put anything other than a thin strap on her.....
Come on, give us more than a peak.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 437 times
Been liked: 256 times

Post by clubhouse »

murky wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:58 pm Always had a major boner for thin leather (think Page and Slash) - but without the stupid neck pad thingy.

Also always had a problem in that I couldn’t find straps long enough - Strap button to strap button I like: 1.65m for Strats/Teles, and 1.76m for LP’s.

Case-in-point: I purchased one from the US a while back - it was expensive (US$120+) and hasn’t lasted. The Red Monkey straps that Slash use are only 60”/152cm long (and US$188 plus shipping etc) - even these are a little short, I suspect he gets custom lengths made.

So….. I decided to make my own. ~$12 for russet strip leather (20mm or 25mm wide, 3.5mm thick). ~$2 for the ring/Chicago screws (needed to join two russet strips together as they were only 1.5m long). Punch the end holes just big enough to fit over the back of the strap button - strap lives on the guitar permanently, and there’s no way it’s coming off the front of the strap button and no need to faf with straplocks.

Best part - I can put a strap on every guitar I own, for about the same cost as one purchased strap…..

No frills. R n’ R. Done.
Nice work, man. If it's cool, can you please lemme know where did you sourced the leather and Chicago screws...after some of those for a project or three I have in mind (no chaff screws, oh yeah) :winky: Fanks.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

clubhouse wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:26 pm
murky wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:58 pm Always had a major boner for thin leather (think Page and Slash) - but without the stupid neck pad thingy.

Also always had a problem in that I couldn’t find straps long enough - Strap button to strap button I like: 1.65m for Strats/Teles, and 1.76m for LP’s.

Case-in-point: I purchased one from the US a while back - it was expensive (US$120+) and hasn’t lasted. The Red Monkey straps that Slash use are only 60”/152cm long (and US$188 plus shipping etc) - even these are a little short, I suspect he gets custom lengths made.

So….. I decided to make my own. ~$12 for russet strip leather (20mm or 25mm wide, 3.5mm thick). ~$2 for the ring/Chicago screws (needed to join two russet strips together as they were only 1.5m long). Punch the end holes just big enough to fit over the back of the strap button - strap lives on the guitar permanently, and there’s no way it’s coming off the front of the strap button and no need to faf with straplocks.

Best part - I can put a strap on every guitar I own, for about the same cost as one purchased strap…..

No frills. R n’ R. Done.
Nice work, man. If it's cool, can you please lemme know where did you sourced the leather and Chicago screws...after some of those for a project or three I have in mind (no chaff screws, oh yeah) :winky: Fanks.
Bondage gear?
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 437 times
Been liked: 256 times

Post by clubhouse »

Yeah...sort of...no gimp masks or anything too sweaty or restrictive...not really into the chaff thing either...don't mind the leather squeaking thing though...sounds funny and I can keep a track on what's going in the dark on the Tower of Power due to sound location give-away...I like belts and straps and pouches...maybe something along these lines:

His and Her get it on gear.jpg
His and Her get it on gear.jpg (686.88 KiB) Viewed 2281 times

...and some scabbards for me chisels...something I can attach to a tool belt...got to have a tidy tool pouch :thumbup:

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 737 times
Been liked: 511 times

Post by Zaulkin »

Before I get stuck into the Nikotine Boost, I wanted to finish off these utility pedals. All of them are momentary pedals apart from the hardwired one which is an AB for my lead/wireless. I figured I would always need something like this, so I'm glad to have them.
IMG_20220430_104648.jpg
IMG_20220430_104648.jpg (3.05 MiB) Viewed 2105 times

murky
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by murky »

clubhouse wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:26 pm Nice work, man. If it's cool, can you please lemme know where did you sourced the leather and Chicago screws...after some of those for a project or three I have in mind (no chaff screws, oh yeah) :winky: Fanks.
Lapco for the leather. Their Chicago screws are 10mm, which is a little tall - got some 6mm ones from TM (ex China). One side is smooth, the other slotted for flathead.

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 737 times
Been liked: 511 times

Post by Zaulkin »

Added some curves to my Tele project. Arm rest, belly cut, and hand carve. Stopped working on this a while back - time to get it done!
IMG_20220430_114305.jpg
IMG_20220430_114305.jpg (4.74 MiB) Viewed 1794 times

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

An ebony fretboard can be very brittle... I took the greatest care while removing the frets but it still was a dog's breakfast. Took several hours to repair the fretboard with ebony sanding dust and superglue followed by sanding. Worth the effort though :D

Here some before and after photos:

When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

murky
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by murky »

Jay wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 6:37 pm An ebony fretboard can be very brittle... I took the greatest care while removing the frets but it still was a dog's breakfast. Took several hours to repair the fretboard with ebony sanding dust and superglue followed by sanding. Worth the effort though :D

Just curious (and excuse any ignorance), did you heat the frets with a soldering iron first and/or add a little backbow?

Lostininverness
Gibson
Has liked: 499 times
Been liked: 136 times

Post by Lostininverness »

Jay wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 6:37 pm An ebony fretboard can be very brittle... I took the greatest care while removing the frets but it still was a dog's breakfast. Took several hours to repair the fretboard with ebony sanding dust and superglue followed by sanding. Worth the effort though :D

Nice job. Repairing chip out like that can be a real pain in the arse!

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

murky wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 9:24 am

Just curious (and excuse any ignorance), did you heat the frets with a soldering iron first and/or add a little backbow?

Heated the frets prior to pulling out and radiused the new fretwire prior to fitting. Does that answer your question?
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.