Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7688 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Re: What's on your work bench?

Post by jeremyb »

Voxshall wrote:My girlfriend brought a can of tinted nitro to redo the headstock on her strat so I thought I’d use the opportunity to touch up one of mine at the same time.
I'm touching up mine right now thinking about a girlfriend who is not only into guitars but nitro! :mrgreen:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Voxshall wrote:
Ha ha yeah there is a massive variation in the fender headstock shape, also a lot of variation in headstock thickness, thinner in the 50’s compared to 60’s. My girlfriend brought a can of tinted nitro to redo the headstock on her strat so I thought I’d use the opportunity to touch up one of mine at the same time.
Buying aerosols of nitro I found they couldn't provide an amber clear. Just solid colors. I want to refinish my MJT Olympic white but follow that up with amber clear before aging / relic work. Can I ask where she got it from?

Voxshall
Gibson
Has liked: 144 times
Been liked: 273 times

Post by Voxshall »

AiRdAd wrote:Don't buy her a kemper either! :-) :-) :-)
All good, she's not a kemper anyway :lol:

werdna
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 590 times
Been liked: 458 times

Post by werdna »

jeremyb wrote:
Voxshall wrote:My girlfriend brought a can of tinted nitro to redo the headstock on her strat so I thought I’d use the opportunity to touch up one of mine at the same time.
I'm touching up mine right now thinking about a girlfriend who is not only into guitars but nitro! :mrgreen:
Best post of the year!
In life, don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

werdna
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by werdna »

Wanting to refinish the top of a tele. It's stained blue with clear nitro. Want to stain it black, sand it back, stain with turquoise and clear coat in nitro.

1. Removing nitro - I can use acetone. But will acetone melt the plastic binding?
2. Removing nitro - is paint stripper useful, and will it melt the plastic binding?
3. Does anyone have any black or turquoise stain please?
4. I am going to show photos - full swimming pool.

Voxshall
Gibson

Post by Voxshall »

Molly wrote:
Voxshall wrote:
Ha ha yeah there is a massive variation in the fender headstock shape, also a lot of variation in headstock thickness, thinner in the 50’s compared to 60’s. My girlfriend brought a can of tinted nitro to redo the headstock on her strat so I thought I’d use the opportunity to touch up one of mine at the same time.
Buying aerosols of nitro I found they couldn't provide an amber clear. Just solid colors. I want to refinish my MJT Olympic white but follow that up with amber clear before aging / relic work. Can I ask where she got it from?
Wairau Paint Centre, she had to leave her guitar neck with them for the day so they could match the colour perfectly, I haven't seen the results yet but will let you know how it goes.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

werdna wrote:Wanting to refinish the top of a tele. It's stained blue with clear nitro. Want to stain it black, sand it back, stain with turquoise and clear coat in nitro.

1. Removing nitro - I can use acetone. But will acetone melt the plastic binding?
2. Removing nitro - is paint stripper useful, and will it melt the plastic binding?
3. Does anyone have any black or turquoise stain please?
4. I am going to show photos - full swimming pool.
1. yes
2. don't know, probably

Use gentle heat and a scraper. Then sanding. You need some patience :)
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7688 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

For dye I've used these: https://www.bunnings.co.nz/search/produ ... ageSize=60 on a couple of bodies now, then tru-oil over the top, makes a really great finish :)

The blue is quite turquoisey: https://www.briwax.co.nz/WoodDyes.php#spirit
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

jeremyb wrote:For dye I've used these: https://www.bunnings.co.nz/search/produ ... ageSize=60 on a couple of bodies now, then tru-oil over the top, makes a really great finish :)

I have a shitload of the briwax black (and red) it goes a long long way, so can give you some for free...

1/ yes
2/ yes
I believe those to be true - however I've not proved it thankfully.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Voxshall
Gibson

Post by Voxshall »

jeremyb wrote:For dye I've used these: https://www.bunnings.co.nz/search/produ ... ageSize=60 on a couple of bodies now, then tru-oil over the top, makes a really great finish :)

I also use those dyes the yellow works great on plastics as well mixed with a light brown.

ChAoZ
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 291 times

Post by ChAoZ »

Fiebings leather dye from eBay work well for me
Attachments
81375681_2554983254620956_4037455724245155840_o.jpg
81375681_2554983254620956_4037455724245155840_o.jpg (359.35 KiB) Viewed 3072 times

werdna
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by werdna »

I looked at that guitar and felt the impulse to burn a wooden church.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2466 times

Post by Slowy »

werdna wrote:I looked at that guitar and felt the impulse to burn a wooden church.
.....with the congregation still inside.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

makes me want dot markers at the very least...
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Basket Case
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 108 times

Post by Basket Case »

Potentially on my work bench is my Variax JTV-59. Great guitar in every way except the neck is just too chunky- it's supposedly a '59 LP profile. It's also at least 3mm wider than all my other guitars. Thinking of doing the unimaginable and carving the neck. I have a pretty good plan of how I would go about it, and some experience with making a neck from scratch, but any advice? Should I just leave it alone?