Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

What's on your work bench?

Post by Jay »

Never played one... gonna be fun...

When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

bobiron
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 51 times

Re: What's on your work bench?

Post by bobiron »

They are fun, had on many years ago in my folk music playing days.
OMM OM MM OMM MM

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

A dusty entry level acoustic with a very clean fretboard.
It’ll stay that way until my bones knit. :problem:
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 410 times

Post by null_pointer »

You’re not using a euphemism for your bed then I take it...

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jay »

I did not dare to include my workbench in the photo... The mandolin is entry level as well I think. Whatever it was, it was phucked with the loose bracing. It is closed up again and now tidying up and all that. Hopefully I can play "When I'm dead and gone" on it this coming weekend.

Anyone know that song by McGuinness Flint?

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jay »

Lowest frets I'd ever come across so was on the work bench this weekend (and on the kitchen table as well)

Not prepared to buy Stewmac tools for something that can be done with some careful planning and execution :)

Also put a stainless steel zero fret in.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

jvpp wrote:Image
What be this clamp-contraption fine Sir?
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jay »

GrantB wrote:
jvpp wrote:Image
What be this clamp-contraption fine Sir?
I wanted the neck to be as straight as possible prior to leveling the frets so I wouldn't remove too much of the precious fret material. Even with the truss rod nut fully loose, the neck wasn't straight enough to my liking. So I put a sack of duck food on the body (which I did not want to show) and then the clamps tighten the neck back ever so slightly to create a nice straight neck. The green felt neck support thingy is placed such that the maximum straightness is achieved.

Why buy the Stewmac version if you can do the same thing with a dinner table, clamps and some feeler gauges? :wink:

https://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools/T ... ation.html

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

jvpp wrote:clamp-traptionl
Ah yes, of course. I had jumped ahead and thought you had refretted, and then, maybe because the neck was then over-bowed, had to create a "fake" string pressure. So....same thing basically. Well done on the tool! A neck jig to emulate pressure is on my to-do list. I do it currently by using zip ties (for downward) or like you, weight on headstock for upward. I would love a StewMac neck jig!

Again, well done!
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jay »

GrantB wrote:
jvpp wrote:clamp-tractionl
Ah yes, of course. I had jumped ahead and thought you had refretted, and then, maybe because the neck was then over-bowed, had to create a "fake" string pressure. So....same thing basically. Well done on the tool! A neck jig to emulate pressure is on my to-do list. I do it currently by using zip ties (for downward) or like you, weight on headstock for upward. I would love a StewMac neck jig!

Again, well done!
Thanks. Yea that tool would be really good to have but for that money you can but a nice acoustic...

The photo may not show it easily but a full refret was just done. I then marked the fret crowns black with the sharpie ready for leveling.
Came out really well and this 47 year oldy can now do a few more years.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

jvpp wrote: and this 47 year oldy can now do a few more years.
I'd have said you were only 46!

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

I see Gibson have a jig to emulate string tension as part of the PLEK set up. Clever all that malarkey.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

jvpp wrote:
Why buy the Stewmac version if you can do the same thing with a dinner table, clamps and some feeler gauges? :wink:

I just had another look at this. If the neck is returned to the strung up position and one removes the frets, how is the new fret tang width expansion dealt with? Proper slotting goes a long way in that regard, but still...it remains a question. What do you think jvpp?

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jay »

GrantB wrote:
jvpp wrote:

I just had another look at this. If the neck is returned to the strung up position and one removes the frets, how is the new fret tang width expansion dealt with? Proper slotting goes a long way in that regard, but still...it remains a question. What do you think jvpp?
I thought exactly the same when I read the tool's description... then I watched the video and have come to the conclusion that either I don't understand the description or it is wrong as in the video he is using the tool to create a perfectly straight neck in preparation for fret leveling. I am referring to the first paragraph: "A revolution in fretwork
Dan Erlewine developed the Neck Jig using the breakthrough idea of simulating string tension with the strings off. This results in the most accurate fret and fingerboard work ever: no guesswork, and no unpleasant surprises when the instrument is restrung
. " Maybe the marketing guy has never refretted a guitar?

In short, I would not use that tool for pure refretting as IMO it is superfluous for that (for exactly the reason you pointed out). I try to avoid going up in tang width size for fear of backbow but it may be a solution to correct a severely 'concaved' neck. But yes, the tool is ideal for fret leveling and action setting through its superior micro adjustments and tilting.