Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Re: What's on your work bench?

Post by Jay »

Starfire wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:43 pm Just painting a couple of pedals:

Nice, what are they?
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 596 times

Post by Starfire »

Jay wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 3:28 pm Nice, what are they?
Just a cheap DOD250 clone and A/B/Y.

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 1064 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

I picked up a 1986 Westone Spectrum with the original case of Friendface this evening.

The seller has grey electrical tape as "inlay decals" and strung it with acoustic strings. 5 springs in the back and about 4mm action.

I can tell there's going to be a whole load of fun discoveries as I go deeper. At first glance the tone pot is totally utterly seized and the back plate is missing.

Gonna be fun. Dying fretboards is something I could do all day long.

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 437 times
Been liked: 256 times

Post by clubhouse »

Starfire wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:43 pm Just painting a couple of pedals:

Super nice work, man. How did you do that? Trippy designs…would be great for modulation effects :thumbup:

I’m almost getting a fake, depth perception distortion from the centre swirl on the RHS one…woah, dude…’Flashback City, Arizona.’ I’d love it on my board. I’m looking forward to knob style and LED colour choice.

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Starfire »

clubhouse wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:41 pm Super nice work, man. How did you do that? Trippy designs…would be great for modulation effects :thumbup:

I’m almost getting a fake, depth perception distortion from the centre swirl on the RHS one…woah, dude…’Flashback City, Arizona.’ I’d love it on my board. I’m looking forward to knob style and LED colour choice.
I'm using these paints:
https://www.gordonharris.co.nz/category ... paint-45ml

To be honest, it's a bit of a ballache. It's fun to apply and to see how the paint changes as it dries. But it's best applied on a clean horizontal surface, so you can really only paint one face at a time and mask everything else off. It takes an absolute age to dry completely — much more than the 10 hours claimed — and it'll need 2K clear or something over top to make it actually durable. It should look pretty cool in the end, but it's probably more trouble than it's worth, tbh. Hydrodipping would've been quicker but I don't really have the space to do that sort of thing.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Starfire wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:49 pm
clubhouse wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:41 pm Super nice work, man. How did you do that? Trippy designs…would be great for modulation effects :thumbup:

I'm using these paints:

To be honest, it's a bit of a ballache. It's fun to apply and to see how the paint changes as it dries. But it's best applied on a clean horizontal surface, so you can really only paint one face at a time and mask everything else off. It takes an absolute age to dry completely — much more than the 10 hours claimed — and it'll need 2K clear or something over top to make it actually durable. It should look pretty cool in the end, but it's probably more trouble than it's worth, tbh. Hydrodipping would've been quicker but I don't really have the space to do that sort of thing.
Woah! I assumed you just did the old enamels on water swirling method!! I have a new pedal build coming and kinda keen to try those out!! Cheers man!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Starfire »

jeremyb wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:28 am
Woah! I assumed you just did the old enamels on water swirling method!! I have a new pedal build coming and kinda keen to try those out!! Cheers man!
There's also these 'moon' paints that have more of a hammered effect. I think they might be a little easier to work with too — might give them a go on another enclosure.

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1309 times
Been liked: 867 times

Post by MikeC »

A Marshall 18 Watt clone (a GDS kit) that I've just built for robthemac. The bugger gave me a full "across the chest" mains shock last night that sent me flying backwards. Wifey thought she could cash in the insurance at last! The mains fuse is where I've (now) put that red tape... :o
GDS 18 Watt Clone.jpg
GDS 18 Watt Clone.jpg (1.48 MiB) Viewed 1006 times
Whakanuia o mea kei a koe

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

MikeC wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:42 am A Marshall 18 Watt clone (a GDS kit) that I've just built for robthemac. The bugger gave me a full "across the chest" mains shock last night that sent me flying backwards. Wifey thought she could cash in the insurance at last! The mains fuse is where I've (now) put that red tape... :o
GDS 18 Watt Clone.jpg
Oh shit! Are you ok?
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MikeC »

robthemac wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:05 am
MikeC wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:42 am A Marshall 18 Watt clone (a GDS kit) that I've just built for robthemac. The bugger gave me a full "across the chest" mains shock last night that sent me flying backwards. Wifey thought she could cash in the insurance at last! The mains fuse is where I've (now) put that red tape... :o
GDS 18 Watt Clone.jpg
Oh shit! Are you ok?
Yeah thanks I'm fine. Gave me a fright though - that's the worst shock I've ever had. But at least it wasn't the 600V AC coming out of the PT... Actually I just had a full exam at the doc (which was already scheduled and I literally just got home). Heartbeat steady and solid. Blood pressure somewhat raised but I also had my first ever digital prostate exam. Sorry to be oversharing but I'm a little proud of myself!

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

MikeC wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:46 am
GDS 18 Watt Clone.jpg
Oh shit! Are you ok?
Yeah thanks I'm fine. Gave me a fright though - that's the worst shock I've ever had. But at least it wasn't the 600V AC coming out of the PT... Actually I just had a full exam at the doc (which was already scheduled and I literally just got home). Heartbeat steady and solid. Blood pressure somewhat raised but I also had my first ever digital prostate exam. Sorry to be oversharing but I'm a little proud of myself!
If anything your heart should be steadier now. Some people wait weeks for a DC cardioversion....
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MikeC »

robthemac wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:48 am

Oh shit! Are you ok?
If anything your heart should be steadier now. Some people wait weeks for a DC cardioversion....
True, but this was AC!

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

MikeC wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:49 am
robthemac wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:48 am
True, but this was AC!
Same-same.

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MikeC »

Many people think that defibrillators start your heart :?