Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 265 times

Re: What's on your work bench?

Post by Candeevr4 »

jeremyb wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:58 pm
Candeevr4 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:53 pm I was able to put the studs partly back in, the with something on the top, used a levering tool to pop them out.
You run the risk of denting your top doing that though :-(
yip, but in this case i was able to get it done though doing that, a couple of times on the same guitar too...

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by StratMatt »

Sweet, I don't have the original studs that fit so I'm just doing a replacement job with a new bridge and studs.
Loving it so far

Lyle
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 255 times

Post by Lyle »

jeremyb wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:47 pm
StratMatt wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:41 pm How do I get these stud anchors out without making a complete mess of things?
I'd get a small bolt or screw (shorter than the depth of the stud hole) and pop it in the hole, thread up, then screw the posts back into the studs, it will push the stud out nicely :)
This is the way.

Or a long bolt with the same thread size as the studs, but that can be tricky to find. Faber bridges come with a bolt to help you do this as part of the install kit.
Last edited by Lyle on Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vinylguy
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by vinylguy »

And on my workbench is a gretsch streamliner that started life with a bigsby, tom bridge, P90 and a broadtron, now in the process of gaining a hardtail, roller bridge and a pair of Surf 90's. Like all my projects it started off easy....

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2264 times
Been liked: 3907 times

Post by Bg »

vinylguy wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:41 pm And on my workbench is a gretsch streamliner that started life with a bigsby, tom bridge, P90 and a broadtron, now in the process of gaining a hardtail, roller bridge and a pair of Surf 90's. Like all my projects it started off easy....
Oh yeah, I have a basement full of those...
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

vinylguy
Fender
Fender

Post by vinylguy »

Do you get so far into it and then wish you had left things as they were ?

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Everytime.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

vinylguy
Fender
Fender

Post by vinylguy »

....and a semi profitable day spent on the Gretsch today. Enlarged the neck pickup hole to take the humbucker sized Surf 90, drilled holes for humbucker rings, fitted pickups. Also fitted new hardtail to replace the Bigsby. Put it all back together with the original TOM bridge whilst I await the correct sized roller bridge. Restrung and it goes: Sort of. Bridge pickup no output so will investigate that tommorow. I suspect that I dont have it connected properly or my soldering is amiss. Only other issue is that the volume of the bottom E string is very low. Im assuming this will be a pickup height or polepiece height adjustment issue. Looks nice though. Will post before and after photos once im done.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1107 times
Been liked: 1423 times

Post by robthemac »

Doing some relicing on my old CS Strat. Going for a natural, road-worn look. What do you guys think?
Attachments
IMG_20210304_121742.jpg
IMG_20210304_121742.jpg (8.15 MiB) Viewed 1583 times
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

vinylguy wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:20 pm Do you get so far into it and then wish you had left things as they were ?
I definitely get this. I had it pretty severely on my recent Chibson refinish attempt. In the end it came out looking 'kinda cool in it's own unique way', but I really just wish I had got a better colour to start with. I'd buy another one given that they're only about $400, but the problem with Chibson's is there is no way of knowing what you're actually going to get. The one I got looked much different in the pictures I was sent. Still I'm undecided as to whether I have improved it or ruined it looks wise. Certainly we (my colleague and I) have improved it tonally and playability-wise, but my 'refinish' could have been done better.

H671
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 265 times

Post by H671 »

Naah, not genuine - you need to use a disk grinder for a more authentic look :lol:
Epiphone Riviera P93 & EJ200CE, Hagstrom Viking Bass, Doubleneck bass/guitar.
Rivera Clubster 45, Carvin AG100D, Ashton BSK158.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1359 times
Been liked: 2098 times

Post by GrantB »

robthemac wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:18 am Doing some relicing on my old CS Strat. Going for a natural, road-worn look. What do you guys think?
Nailed it. Love that wear beneath the rear trem cover.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

I think you need to take the blowtorch burn deeper

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 862 times
Been liked: 742 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

robthemac wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:18 am Doing some relicing on my old CS Strat. Going for a natural, road-worn look. What do you guys think?
Urgh, I think you need to stop playing this naked! And see your GP.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7733 times
Been liked: 4179 times

Post by jeremyb »

Expect a call from the fender custom shop soon, your skills will be in high demand!!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.