Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Bg
Site Admin
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Re: Home Made Tools

Post by Bg »

Jay wrote:And I thought Royal Oak roundabout was bad.
That one is pretty shit, and the one in Panmure.

Because people who learn to drive in NZ have no clue how a roundabout works..
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Lyle
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 255 times

Post by Lyle »

Bg wrote: Because people who learn to drive in NZ have no clue how a roundabout works..
It's not my fault, everyone else should know where I'm going. If only my car had some way to indicate which way I was turning.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Lyle wrote:
Bg wrote: Because people who learn to drive in NZ have no clue how a roundabout works..
It's not my fault, everyone else should know where I'm going. If only my car had some way to indicate which way I was turning.
Audi driver?
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

Bg wrote:

True, but NZ road rules re how to use your indicator when negotiating a roundabout don't help. Totally counter intuitive and not in line with Europe.
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Jay wrote:
Bg wrote:

True, but NZ road rules re how to use your indicator when negotiating a roundabout don't help. Totally counter intuitive and not in line with Europe.
True

Lyle
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Lyle »

Jay wrote:
What are the rules in Europe?

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jay »

Lyle wrote:
Jay wrote:
What are the rules in Europe?
Hmmm, I thought I better check the NZ road code again before answering that one. My gripe is that lots of people in NZ indicate right when they intend to go straight ahead and then indicate left when almost having left the roundabout. So on small roundabouts you are waiting for them to come around and then you'll find they go straight ahead anyway, so waited for nothing.

Checked 3 NZ websites and they all say - "Do not indicate when entering the roundabout when going straight ahead; Indicate when leaving roundabout"

Either the websites are all wrong, or the people who do all the 'extra right' indicating have been taught wrongly... Any experts on here?

Lyle
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Lyle »

Jay wrote: Hmmm, I thought I better check the NZ road code again before answering that one. My gripe is that lots of people in NZ indicate right when they intend to go straight ahead and then indicate left when almost having left the roundabout. So on small roundabouts you are waiting for them to come around and then you'll find they go straight ahead anyway, so waited for nothing.

Checked 3 NZ websites and they all say - "Do not indicate when entering the roundabout when going straight ahead; Indicate when leaving roundabout"

Either the websites are all wrong, or the people who do all the 'extra right' indicating have been taught wrongly... Any experts on here?
A lot of people indicate right when going straight, but that's incorrect. Without digging out the Road User Rule for the exact wording, if you're going straight you only indicate when leaving the roundabout. If you're going more than halfway round the roundabout then you indicate right when entering, and left before leaving.

RectifiedAmps
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 200 times
Been liked: 240 times

Post by RectifiedAmps »

Jay wrote:
Bg wrote:

For the first 3 years I lived in NZ I swore and cursed at people every time I had to negotiate a four-way stop-sign intersection. Then I found out that the road rules are totally different than for N.America... :shifty:

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jay »

Lyle wrote:
Jay wrote: Hmmm, I thought I better check the NZ road code again before answering that one. My gripe is that lots of people in NZ indicate right when they intend to go straight ahead and then indicate left when almost having left the roundabout. So on small roundabouts you are waiting for them to come around and then you'll find they go straight ahead anyway, so waited for nothing.

A lot of people indicate right when going straight, but that's incorrect. Without digging out the Road User Rule for the exact wording, if you're going straight you only indicate when leaving the roundabout. If you're going more than halfway round the roundabout then you indicate right when entering, and left before leaving.
Correct, but my point being, who teaches them that wrongly? I had this argument with my daughter when she just got her license (5 years or so ago) and then with the guy who taught advanced safety driving skills last year. Have the roundabout indicator rules changed recently?

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 596 times

Post by Starfire »

It used to be that you were supposed to indicate right then left when going straight through. It changed more than 10 years ago, I think—about when I was getting my full licence. A lot of people still follow The Old Ways.

Lyle
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Lyle »

The current rules came in early 2005. So it's probably people never adjusting to the new rule, and then going on to teach their kids incorrectly too.

kwhelan
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 123 times
Been liked: 93 times

Post by kwhelan »

the problem is if its anything like hastings the council have installed roundabouts at about every 3rd intersection here by basically installing a round kerb in the middle of what was a 4 way intersection, the outside kerbs are all just 4 straight roads with right angles so basically its just a round speed bump in the middle usually with flowers.
THIS IS NOT a ROUNDABOUT you are supposed to signal your intention by a couple of seconds so other drivers can see your intentions which is totally impossible when your on the intersection for all of 3 max seconds as you go straight thru.
If your not entering a roundabout by actually steering left and onto a circlular road it aint a bloody roundabout.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Sorry Jay, this is nzguitars, I should have never mentioned roundabouts.... :)

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7692 times
Been liked: 4159 times

Post by jeremyb »

Rules are simple, only indicate on entry if you are changing direction, but always when leaving the roundabout... Numpties who indicate right to go straight ahead need a good slapping!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.