dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 456 times
Been liked: 406 times

Dayl's Thread of Rg Ressurection

Post by dayl »

Well, as I grow older and become more comfortable with the good things in life like referring to yourself in the third person, I figured it was time to finally get off my ass and make some progress on this bad boy.

I grabbed a couple sevens a two or so years back one was a player and t5his one was immediately stripped and pulled apart for a project. It has sat in a pile of project work untoched ever since.

Seeing as I was at a bit of a standstill with the strat build for various reasons, I decided to finish touching up/sanding/ and get an under coat on her.

Its been through a number of cosmetic changes and set ups in my mind... thank god I didn;t go a head with some of them :lol:

Here goes.. I hope to get it all done in the coming months.

RG 7421 Body (3 pce Basswood)
RG 7621 Neck (Mint)
Single SD Blackout pup
Black hardware with proposed graphite goodness.
White 3ply PG on White body.

Will keep the tone pot to round off the tone a little after my experience with my single pup mexi and reading reports here. The tone will be kept under the PG an accessed via back plate.

I can also report that Whiteknight (?) paints suck. The under coat was too thin, the nozzle had too much spread and it splattered :x
Last edited by dayl on Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xCaptainx
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 52 times

Re: Dayl 2010 - A 7 String Odyessy

Post by xCaptainx »

FINALLY! I've had dibs on this for YEARS! :lol:

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by dayl »

It's in the works now bro, will be mint.

Pakehendrix
Big Muff

Post by Pakehendrix »

Very nice dude.

Basket Case
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 108 times

Post by Basket Case »

Cool project dude!

Jenesis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Jenesis »

Looks cool man, I like the white.

Also, have you ever owned a guitar you haven't pulled apart?

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7724 times
Been liked: 4169 times

Post by jeremyb »

Awesome, I'd love a 7 string RG!!! 8)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by dayl »

Jenesis wrote: Also, have you ever owned a guitar you haven't pulled apart?
Yeah a red on black crackled finish Samick...

Jenesis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Jenesis »

Sounds like a keeper.

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by dayl »

Yay,

Polished the frets and cleaned up the FB ... I had nothing more constuctive to do at the time :D

The neck is mint. 1st Fret has two tiny pin pricks of wear and apart from that is mint. It was all mint until I put a couple lil dings and scratches in the back...... they will get sorted when it gets sanded back 8)

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Re: Dayl's Thread of Rg Ressurection

Post by dayl »

Thread name change to lump the others in.

Just finished giving two of the RG's a sex change over the weekend, give em some balls.

Floyd trem front and rear cav's blocked and leveled on RG 550 Hard tail conversion and RG partso MIDI Synth Guitar.

Managed to get a couple coats of primer on the MIDI Gat's body.

critter01
Ashton
Ashton

Post by critter01 »

cool project Dayl,great work.i was just wondering what the wood is that you used to fill the trem cavs and how did you mount them in there? glue and screw??.cheers

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7724 times
Been liked: 4169 times

Post by jeremyb »

critter01 wrote:cool project Dayl,great work.i was just wondering what the wood is that you used to fill the trem cavs and how did you mount them in there? glue and screw??.cheers
+1!!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2262 times
Been liked: 3907 times

Post by Bg »

You fitting an GK3 in there mate? I've got the cable pinouts somewhere which makes it much easier/nicer - you mount the pup upside down so the cable comes from the bottom - dismantle the big white plug, poke it through a nice neat little hole then wire the pole pieces in reverse.

Then drill 15 holes for the volume, blend, patch up/down, led, kitchen sink.... Be fine on a normal sized guitar but a PITA on a cricket bat.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by dayl »

critter01 wrote:cool project Dayl,great work.i was just wondering what the wood is that you used to fill the trem cavs and how did you mount them in there? glue and screw??.cheers
Thanks mate.

I simply asked Ash for something close to basswood flavour. It wasn't too important for the MIDI Gat (the green/primed one) as it is already a 5pce body and will be used primarily for midi, will have a single EMG (or like) active pup in the bridge pos if I ever need the gat on. For the 550, it was a little more important and I used the Kahikatea, I forget the other... maybe I just got thatback to front :)
In terms of filling... Basically, the cavs were routed.. routed a bit bigger (as the blocks were) so I could have a decent base for the glue. the cavs had to make for a tight fit so that the sides could be glued also. I used extra bond Aryldite, apply as norm, thought about screws but they aren't needed, there is no way the blocks will budge. The top and bottom are glued to each other also. The top of the blocks were then routed down to a managable level. Once all level, a Vee bit was used to route a canal between the block/body for filler so that all is smooth an joins are not visible. Its all prety bullet proof I'm hoping... I took my time to let all stages settle.
BG wrote:You fitting an GK3 in there mate? I've got the cable pinouts somewhere which makes it much easier/nicer - you mount the pup upside down so the cable comes from the bottom - dismantle the big white plug, poke it through a nice neat little hole then wire the pole pieces in reverse.
Then drill 15 holes for the volume, blend, patch up/down, led, kitchen sink.... Be fine on a normal sized guitar but a PITA on a cricket bat.

Yeah mate, I've got a GK GT Kit which is basically what you find in the roland ready Fenders except it's black. The above is a little confusing for me as I hav'nt really studied the installation side too much yet :D , But its all getting thrown in aPG with a one Vol Hum in the bridge to keep things neat.

It's one of these: