Mighty Mite Guitar parts- how good are they?

Self built and self assembly ;)

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 740 times
Been liked: 512 times

Mighty Mite Guitar parts- how good are they?

Post by Zaulkin »

Hey all,

One guy I know was really impressed with the guitar I made/assembled and is considering getting me to make him a Tele. I made the guitar from Allparts replacement parts and a selection of my favourite pickups/bridge/tuners etc. I was just curious as to how Mighty Mite and other replacement parts rank against the Allparts ones. The mighty mite are a fair bit cheaper and quite good looking (if I can get them shipped) and there is one on trademe that I am quite interested in. I would much prefer the Allparts parts but they are quite expensive and I think I've bugged Crushing Day enough lately (haha).

So what I'm asking is has anyone had any Mighty Might guitar bodies or necks?
How would they rank in comparison with Fender guitars, e.g. MIM or USA?
Has anyone had a part that turned out to be a pooch?
Are the bodies better than the necks or vice versa? (Maybe I could just get a body and then get an Allparts Neck?)

Would really like some advice if It's possible (ASH!) :)

snitchez
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 36 times

Re: Mighty Mite Guitar parts- how good are they?

Post by snitchez »

from what ive seen i dont like their necks at all. body was a bit... meh.

but ive seen worse. if you do, get the body from mighty mite but neck from all parts. not the other way around. imho. neck feel is much more important.

Basket Case
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 108 times

Post by Basket Case »

I have a MM neck on one of my strats. It's pretty good. Better than a mexi neck. Vorbis just put one on his project strat and reckons it's good too.

Vorbis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vorbis »

Yeah I heard Mightmite were a bit crap a few years ago, the recent stuff seems all good. The neck I have is well dressed and finished. I think allparts are a bit better quality but you have to be prepared to do the finishing yourself.
She told me baby when you race today just take along my love with you, and if ya knew how much I love you baby, nothin' could go wrong with you.

crushing day
The Mystical Potato Head

Post by crushing day »

The Mighty Mite necks and bodies are made in the Cort factory in Indonesia, same place that make the entry level Squiers. They 'supposedly' ship American wood over to the factory, get the necks made, and then get them shipped back again....... that process is a whole lot cheaper than getting them made locally in the USA :? . Shipping good wood halfway round the world to make cheap necks still sounds like porkies to me.....

I looked at stocking their necks a few years back. I looked at the stuff first hand at the NAMM show, and the products on show looked 'ok'. The bodies were ok, but the finishes were super thick.. I would say they were more entry level when compared to other products, but was going to stock them based on the lower price point. In the end i decided against it, and stuck with what i considered the consistently better product.
what we've got here is failure to communicate... some men you just can't reach

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 456 times
Been liked: 409 times

Post by dayl »

Had a couple of thier necks and flicked them off pretty quick. Not at all bad. I read a lot of reviews that made the product sound much worse than there were.

No comparison at all to the All Parts brand. Kind of like comparing a MIM standard strat neck with an American.
Having said that, I found my MIM necks to have the edge quality wise.

Well finished (no rough fretwork) but a little lose in the neck pocket.
The birds eye maple I had was IMO nice buying at approx $200 under better exchange rate conditions.

If I was looking at building a strat on the cheap (do I do it any other way? :lol: ) they would be on my list .... unless I went with EDEN parts :lol:

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Zaulkin »

Alright awesome. I might give them a try but I will have a good think about it first. I spose I can always flick something off to Trademe if it doesn't work for me.

The other option is Warmoth Parts. They have a pretty awesome reputation, has anyone tried them before?

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1362 times
Been liked: 2100 times

Post by GrantB »

Allparts Allparts Allparts.....Mighty Mite is generally very average. Go Allparts.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 456 times
Been liked: 409 times

Post by dayl »

Unique has a point there. If you are considering Warmoth as an option, go allparts, excellent necks from what I've seen and played.... unless one of Warmoths random kinda 'exotic' necks is your flavor.

Basket Case
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Basket Case »

Zaulkin wrote:Alright awesome. I might give them a try but I will have a good think about it first. I spose I can always flick something off to Trademe if it doesn't work for me.

The other option is Warmoth Parts. They have a pretty awesome reputation, has anyone tried them before?
I have a Warmoth body. They are very well made but my finish has a few flaws. I have a 24.75" conversion neck coming from them. It should turn up today. I'll let you know what I think.

Basket Case
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Basket Case »

Oh, and Warmoth's service is pretty awesome too.

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 857 times
Been liked: 276 times

Post by calling card »

As much as I'd love to try something like an Allparts chunky C profile neck I've got a Dr Parts neck - ex benderissimo's, finish is thin, good overall build, frets sweet etc..., nice thick piece of rosewood. These are a budget neck & apparently produced by the suppliers to SX guitars, not sure where the official source is in NZ.. IMO it's better than the 80's Japanese genuine Fender neck that I had - this neck would come right with a re-fret I reckon but the Dr Parts has a little more beef in it's C section, also a thick heel. Something interesting I've noticed is the headstock tapers from 14.5mm to 16.5mm from sixth string to 1st string, compensating tuner hights?.
If you are into relics these necks respond well & don't cause ya too much stress as you distress it, if you know what I mean... mines drilled for 3 different types of machine head styles. :roll:
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

snitchez
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 36 times

Post by snitchez »

official source should be hawkes bay. the last i checked anyway.

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Zaulkin »

*UNIQUE* wrote:Allparts Allparts Allparts.....Mighty Mite is generally very average. Go Allparts.
Yeah, I was just inquiring incase there was a cheaper but also good option. I will look at some warmoth parts and then go from there - but it looks like I will be sticking to just those two brands.

I will be keen to hear about Mark's warmoth neck.

Vorbis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vorbis »

You'd be paying as much if not more for a Warmoth neck compared to an allparts neck, and much more hassle to return if there's a problem. I thought the allparts neck had better quality wood, Mightymite didn't need any finishing work. Whether the MM will stand the test of time without developing problems is anyones' guess.
She told me baby when you race today just take along my love with you, and if ya knew how much I love you baby, nothin' could go wrong with you.