Head question around reverb

Amp tinkerers and people who aren't afraid of 700 volts or so in here....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Sheriffdohboy
Ashton
Ashton
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 62 times

Head question around reverb

Post by Sheriffdohboy »

Kia Ora team

Thought I would do my first DIY headshell for a combo conversion (peavey ultra 112)

I have thrown together a basic butted joint mishmash for time being,,,,,hoping to cover my sins with enough tolex and lots of prep sanding

First question I want to put the reverb tank in the head as well….will I get any issues or signals from the trannys and tubes with the reverb tank now being closer???

also second question…,any homies in west Auckland got a router when I want to roll the ends off???

Chur
Attachments
IMG_2809.jpeg
IMG_2809.jpeg (3.66 MiB) Viewed 2363 times

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 924 times
Been liked: 1464 times

Re: Head question around reverb

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

Sheriffdohboy wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 1:27 pm Kia Ora team

Thought I would do my first DIY headshell for a combo conversion (peavey ultra 112)

I have thrown together a basic butted joint mishmash for time being,,,,,hoping to cover my sins with enough tolex and lots of prep sanding

First question I want to put the reverb tank in the head as well….will I get any issues or signals from the trannys and tubes with the reverb tank now being closer???

also second question…,any homies in west Auckland got a router when I want to roll the ends off???

Chur
There will be considerations in terms of transformer orientation and reverb tank. If you look at the fender iterations such as a bandmaster reverb head, the head unit itself is pretty massive too to bottom. This is to accomodate the tank and distance it from the amp. Probably just something you’ll have to test and see.
Plenty of amp manufacturers do this mind.

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 82 times
Been liked: 1208 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

In my mesa dual rec at least there's a hum with the reverb tank. The more reverb, the louder the hum. Maybe one of those shielded bag thingies might be a good idea.

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1434 times
Been liked: 997 times

Post by MikeC »

Make sure you mount the reverb tank so it's OUTPUT is as far away from the PT as possible. Making the head cab a little taller helps too by increasing the distance between PT and tank.
Whakanuia o mea kei a koe

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3685 times
Been liked: 753 times

Post by Cdog »

This is a sensible question! I built a Super Reverb kit as a head, with Verb tank. (Mojototone kit and head cab.) Getting the reverb quiet was a bit touch and go.

I tried different orientations and positions for the tank in the base of the head cab... it was quiet only in one position and orientation: Basically as far from the PT as possible, down the preamp end... and facing backwards. My tank is vintage one in an earthed steel chassis... I assume having it backwards was to do with the signal wire leads dress.

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3685 times
Been liked: 753 times

Post by Cdog »

Ha... snap Mike! What he said :lol:

Sheriffdohboy
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Sheriffdohboy »

MikeC wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 3:56 pm Make sure you mount the reverb tank so it's OUTPUT is as far away from the PT as possible. Making the head cab a little taller helps too by increasing the distance between PT and tank.

Cheers for that....hence why I have made the headshell quite deep.....appreciate the feedback.....haha...

Sheriffdohboy
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Sheriffdohboy »

Cdog wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 3:59 pm This is a sensible question! I built a Super Reverb kit as a head, with Verb tank. (Mojototone kit and head cab.) Getting the reverb quiet was a bit touch and go.

I tried different orientations and positions for the tank in the base of the head cab... it was quiet only in one position and orientation: Basically as far from the PT as possible, down the preamp end... and facing backwards. My tank is vintage one in an earthed steel chassis... I assume having it backwards was to do with the signal wire leads dress.
Yep appreciate the "feedback"....hence ive made the headshell quite deep in size...ill mount the tank similar to how it is aligned currently in the combo chassis

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 235 times
Been liked: 1062 times

Post by Marshmallow »

Regarding the reverb tank,

I mounted a small one on a small chassis like this and was still dead quiet. This was only 10mm from the PT. And 20mm above the OT. Need to do something about those cables though :lol: