symmetrical vs. asymmetric clipping - which gives the best sound?

Amp tinkerers and people who aren't afraid of 700 volts or so in here....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Tubaholic
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 24 times

symmetrical vs. asymmetric clipping - which gives the best sound?

Post by Tubaholic »

I would be interested to hear anyone's thoughts on what type of clipping gives the 'best' overdriven sound.

If a valve is biased very warm (close to the point of grid current) then it will clip on the up-going (at grid) peaks while the down-going peak will be undistorted, that is, asymmetric clipping will happen.

A very cold biased valve will also clip asymmetrically, as it is driven into cutoff on the down-going peaks.

When a valve which is biased at its mid-point is overdriven, both peaks will clip (i.e. symmetrical clipping).

In theory, symmetrical clipping should produce mainly odd harmonics, while asymmetric clipping should produce mainly even harmonics.

Any ideas out there on this?

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 1126 times

Re: symmetrical vs. asymmetric clipping - which gives the best sound?

Post by NippleWrestler »

If you take the cold clipper out of an amp circuit it sounds a lot less interesting.

I have a pedal where you can dial in as much asymmetry as you like until one side is totally cut off. It's cool.

But there is no best. There's only what you like the most.

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1384 times
Been liked: 935 times

Post by MikeC »

I did a cold clipping experiment on the Sixty-One SRT because I read that some later Marshall amps use a CC stage. I couldn't hear an advantage but it doesn't mean someone else wouldn't.
Whakanuia o mea kei a koe

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 1126 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

MikeC wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 8:00 am I did a cold clipping experiment on the Sixty-One SRT because I read that some later Marshall amps use a CC stage. I couldn't hear an advantage but it doesn't mean someone else wouldn't.
Amp topology has a lot to do with it, up and down stream. It's a marked difference on higher gain amps. Interestingly (to me anyway) the Dual Rec on vintage mode uses a 39k cold clipper, but removes it in modern mode... Which might be why I don't use modern mode.

Rob Robinette has a 3 way cold clipper which is a fun and easy addition to amps but if it's already high gain it tends to oscillate.

FuzzMonkey
Gibson
Has liked: 522 times
Been liked: 416 times

Post by FuzzMonkey »

Best is highly subjective.
"There's no creativity without vulnerability."

www.fantailaudio.com

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 875 times
Been liked: 277 times

Post by calling card »

What kind of clip does a old Fender 5E3 have?
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

Optical
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 147 times

Post by Optical »

NippleWrestler wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 8:05 am Interestingly (to me anyway) the Dual Rec on vintage mode uses a 39k cold clipper, but removes it in modern mode... Which might be why I don't use modern mode.
The dual rec always has the CC in the circuit on channels 2 and 3, the vintage vs modern modes change the presence frequency and power amp negative fb

Tubaholic
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Tubaholic »

The amp I am building will have the overdriven valve's bias resistor switchable with 3 positions: warm, mid and cold. I plan to measure the harmonics patterns and listen to the tones, and compare the settings. Hopefully some insights may follow.....

Tubaholic
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Tubaholic »

calling card wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 9:54 am What kind of clip does a old Fender 5E3 have?
Just looking at the 5E3 schematic, the 12AX7 and the 6V6s are pretty much mid-point biased so I would expect fairly symmetrical clipping.

RectifiedAmps
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 220 times
Been liked: 256 times

Post by RectifiedAmps »

Just to complicate things, you can also have a warm-biased stage feeding a cold-biased one, or vice versa.

Most vintage amps are roughly centre-biased, but although that produces clipping on both ends of the waveform, it’s not usually symmetric until you reach brutal square-wave levels of clipping.

Tubaholic
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Tubaholic »

What a coincidence that you mention this - in my last amp I had a warm-biased stage feeding a cold-biased one. As gain is increased it first produces a lot of 2nd harmonic and then flips to predominantly odd harmonics. It sounds great!

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1047 times
Been liked: 2540 times

Post by Slowy »

My only contribution is based on the the 3 position clip switch on the Timmy.

Up position is asymetrical and to my ears has a Marshall flavour.
Middle is symmetrical with high headroom and low compression. It makes for a good tone when you want people to wave their phone screens in the air.
Down is symmetrical with low headroom and more compression and sounds like a small Tweed amp.

As an aside, Timmy and Princeton are the best of friends.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.