Cab building tips?

Amp tinkerers and people who aren't afraid of 700 volts or so in here....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Bg
Site Admin
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2304 times
Been liked: 4116 times

Re: Cab building tips?

Post by Bg »

I'd use the biggest you can get, but anything is better than nothing, its just to get a bit more support and glue area. If you can't get ones long enough, just sink them further in from the top
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 262 times

Post by Miza »

I guess if you buy a rod of 6mm dowel, you can make em as long as you want!

I used a pack of pre-made 6mm fluted dowels. They only come in the one length (30mm long).
Nothing to see here.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Miza wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 1:56 pm I guess if you buy a rod of 6mm dowel, you can make em as long as you want!

I used a pack of pre-made 6mm fluted dowels. They only come in the one length (30mm long).
if you make them, its best to put some flutes in them with a saw...
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Here’s how I do a baffle - this is a Vox style

3 passes does it, I hold the router in place and slowly turn the baffle, there is a nice big chunk of sacrificial wood underneath

IMG_1359.jpeg
IMG_1359.jpeg (3.8 MiB) Viewed 2370 times

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

With it being for my vox, there is no frame under the grille cloth, so the t-nuts are counterbored. Fender and Marshall style would be to have a shallow frame around the outside to hold the cloth away from the actual baffle. No counterbore needed.

Top tip, spray your t-nuts black else they will shine through grill cloth like a dogs bollocks. Same with the ends of the speaker screws if you can't get black screws.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Oh, I meant to post this. I found it awhile back and is mostly correct :) I always leave more overlap on things than I'll ever need because trying to line things up, especially in a full wrap, is fraught with misalignment. Same with grille cloth, its nice to have something to pull as you tighten it - steady JB.

https://www.evatco.com.au/how-to-tolex-a-cabinet/

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 798 times
Been liked: 569 times

Post by Zaulkin »

Bg wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 10:23 pm Oh, I meant to post this. I found it awhile back and is mostly correct :) I always leave more overlap on things than I'll ever need because trying to line things up, especially in a full wrap, is fraught with misalignment. Same with grille cloth, its nice to have something to pull as you tighten it - steady JB.

Thank you sir.

I almost have everything ready to go. Got ply. Got speakers. Got all sorts. I still have an order to go though probably.

Out of curiosity - will black AliExpress metal corners actually do the job? Or should I have gone for the penn elcom ones?

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 262 times

Post by Miza »

Zaulkin wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 6:07 pm
Bg wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 10:23 pm Oh, I meant to post this. I found it awhile back and is mostly correct :) I always leave more overlap on things than I'll ever need because trying to line things up, especially in a full wrap, is fraught with misalignment. Same with grille cloth, its nice to have something to pull as you tighten it - steady JB.

Thank you sir.

I almost have everything ready to go. Got ply. Got speakers. Got all sorts. I still have an order to go though probably.

Out of curiosity - will black AliExpress metal corners actually do the job? Or should I have gone for the penn elcom ones?
Don't think you can go wrong, it's a simple part. Just check the radius matches your bit before you cut wood!
Nothing to see here.

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 798 times
Been liked: 569 times

Post by Zaulkin »

Miza wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 7:37 pm

Thank you sir.

Don't think you can go wrong, it's a simple part. Just check the radius matches your bit before you cut wood!
Pretty sure if they don't fit I will be taking a hammer to em...

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Zaulkin wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 8:05 pm
Miza wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 7:37 pm

Thank you sir.

Pretty sure if they don't fit I will be taking a hammer to em...
Take a hammer to the corner ;) or a rasp. Corners may need to have a bit more round over than the router provides. As long as you've not got the stupid big ones you should be ok.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 911 times
Been liked: 1447 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

How deep are folks making their cabs?
Most DIY grade pine seems to come in 280mm max width
I think the fender ones were a bit deeper ?

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

StrummersOfThunder wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2024 5:46 pm How deep are folks making their cabs?
Most DIY grade pine seems to come in 280mm max width
I think the fender ones were a bit deeper ?
I've had 320 before, it gets expensive though. I wouldn't go diy store pine if in Auckland, many wood suppliers there!

Nelson is shite :(

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 82 times
Been liked: 1178 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

300mm, but also made cabs around 230mm deep. The measurements depend what sound you'd like and you can also port cabs to improve low end response.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 911 times
Been liked: 1447 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

Are there German purity laws sanctioning against glueing boards together length ways to make a wider board ?

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 8212 times
Been liked: 4328 times

Post by jeremyb »

StrummersOfThunder wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2024 6:23 pm Are there German purity laws sanctioning against glueing boards together length ways to make a wider board ?
You mean like people do with guitar bodies ;-)