1 x 8" cab build

Amp tinkerers and people who aren't afraid of 700 volts or so in here....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Bg
Site Admin
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2264 times
Been liked: 3909 times

Re: 1 x 8" cab build

Post by Bg »

Jay wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:04 pm Looking good. Make sure you spray or paint the ends of the speaker bolts black. And if they don't go to the very end, spray the remaining visible thread black too. Nitpicking? Sure :wink:
Yep, else they stand out like dogs bollocks.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

jeremyb wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:00 pm Picked up the green vinyl from spotlight today, if you join their VIP club you get big discounts and a $10 voucher, so it cost me $15 for a whole metre :lol:

I got way more than I need as I’m bound to fuck things up, it’s the bit that scares me the most, never done it before!!
To be fair, getting vinyl from spotlight looking good is probably way harder than proper tolex, which is nice and flexible around bends/corners etc.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7737 times
Been liked: 4182 times

Post by jeremyb »

Bg wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:38 pm
jeremyb wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:00 pm Picked up the green vinyl from spotlight today, if you join their VIP club you get big discounts and a $10 voucher, so it cost me $15 for a whole metre :lol:

I got way more than I need as I’m bound to fuck things up, it’s the bit that scares me the most, never done it before!!
To be fair, getting vinyl from spotlight looking good is probably way harder than proper tolex, which is nice and flexible around bends/corners etc.
This has got a bit of stretch to it which I thought might not be helpful but it sounds like it might be???
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

yeah stretch probably isn't your friend. Could still work :)

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Bg wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:02 pm yeah stretch probably isn't your friend. Could still work :)
It shall be an experiment, first cab and all, trying to do it on a budget but thats almost impossible :lol:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1634 times
Been liked: 1300 times

Post by Jay »

Yip, what BG says. As vinyl is so thick compared to telex, may I suggest you do one overlap only and do that overlap on a bottom corner. With corner pieces no one will see the overlap.

The other thing you might want to consider, is painting the corners the same green or darker than the vinyl. As the corners' vinyl is cut at 45 degrees, the joint has the potential to shrink thereby exposing the bare whitish wood. A painted corner makes any shrinkage less obvious.
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Jay wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:05 pm Yip, what BG says. As vinyl is so thick compared to telex, may I suggest you do one overlap only and do that overlap on a bottom corner. With corner pieces no one will see the overlap.

The other thing you might want to consider, is painting the corners the same green or darker than the vinyl. As the corners' vinyl is cut at 45 degrees, the joint has the potential to shrink thereby exposing the bare whitish wood. A painted corner makes any shrinkage less obvious.
Sage advice, I was thinking I might 3d print some corners to cover up such things :mental:

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

BTW my tolex application tips I got from here, pretty comprehensive video I reckon! However I think I'll do one piece around the top and an overlap on the bottom only :-)

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Jay wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:05 pm Yip, what BG says. As vinyl is so thick compared to telex, may I suggest you do one overlap only and do that overlap on a bottom corner. With corner pieces no one will see the overlap.

Yep or even just black at a pinch. The beauty of tolex is that the good stuff can be teased for that last bit. Never matters if you put corners on, although it hurts even then if its not right ;)

As few joins as possible but with a big cab, two can be unavoidable - if corners, again, you'll not see it.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

oh and mr important. Always use a new knife blade on every cab ;)

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

This is a nice wee tutorial too, might give this method a crack!

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

He has a shit load of unneeded tools, I turned off when I saw the heat gun

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Here’s the vinyl I’m using plus a couple of bits I grabbed at Bunnings today… won’t have time to put it on till tomorrow but it’s getting there!
Attachments
15528973-E338-41DC-A2E4-A69231214462.jpeg
15528973-E338-41DC-A2E4-A69231214462.jpeg (3.81 MiB) Viewed 621 times

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 416 times
Been liked: 1016 times

Post by bender »

jeremyb wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:44 pm Here’s the vinyl I’m using plus a couple of bits I grabbed at Bunnings today… won’t have time to put it on till tomorrow but it’s getting there!
Looks remarkably like what’s on my matchless! :lol:

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

bender wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:37 pm
jeremyb wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:44 pm Here’s the vinyl I’m using plus a couple of bits I grabbed at Bunnings today… won’t have time to put it on till tomorrow but it’s getting there!
Looks remarkably like what’s on my matchless! :lol:
I'll have plenty left over if you'd like me to make you some undies to match!