Victor 16mm film projector amp

Amp tinkerers and people who aren't afraid of 700 volts or so in here....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 437 times
Been liked: 256 times

Victor 16mm film projector amp

Post by clubhouse »

Do any of y’all have info/details/schemes for the audio amps in these ol’ projectors? Even a web-lead on info? Muchly appreciate anything. Just sizing up the feasibility of the next possible project :thumbup:

PaulWD
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 201 times

Re: Victor 16mm film projector amp

Post by PaulWD »

Hello

Uncle Doug on YouTube has a couple of good videos on these. I have built variations of ampeg and 5e3 circuits in them. The bastard is that the PT are (very nearly) all 110v in film projector amps.

Best,
Paul

PaulWD
Ashton
Ashton

Post by PaulWD »

Oh, if anyone wants to have a go, I have a couple of spare bell and Howell 6v6 chassis. $100 plus post. (One has been reserved for BG)

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by clubhouse »

PaulWD wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 2:03 pm Hello

Uncle Doug on YouTube has a couple of good videos on these. I have built variations of ampeg and 5e3 circuits in them. The bastard is that the PT are (very nearly) all 110v in film projector amps.

Best,
Paul
Hey Paul,

Thanks for the reply and the Uncle Doug tip. I’ll chase that up. I take it that the amps you’ve been working on are the Bell and Howell types? I have a couple of those and one came with a heavy as hell, step-down transformer so I get what you mean. It’s the replacement PTs that put me off getting involved in these with the current exchange and shipping rates. They look very densely packed inside. How close are they to 5e3 circuits as they stand?

This is the Victor I have:

Victor 16mm projector
Victor 16mm projector
51CB7598-CBB3-4463-AA31-ED8005B8DC08.jpeg (3.24 MiB) Viewed 2796 times

Can’t figure the Model number from the badge label but it claims to be ‘Made in England’ so I thought there might be some hope that it may be 220v?

Made in England…can I believe it?
Made in England…can I believe it?
BC18064A-8A2C-4B17-83F6-643B624894F3.jpeg (3.34 MiB) Viewed 2796 times

But it’s these that widen my eyes :shock:

Oh, yes…they are what you think they are.
Oh, yes…they are what you think they are.
748D0993-F612-46A3-A532-2BEA4A711D61.jpeg (2.33 MiB) Viewed 2796 times

Before I go deep diving into this I need to get a game-plan together. If I can’t get easy answers, I’ll shelve it for now as I do have easier projects that need resolving.

Thanks again for your interest, Paul, and giving me a thread to chase. If I make any progress, I’ll keep you informed. Wish me luck :thumbup:

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Best,
Paul
Sorry Paul, feel free to let it go, in the midst of decluttering ready for a house move - I've filled a skip with unfulfilled projects. I really don't want to fill another before we move, sorry!
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

However if you still have some when we get to the South Island, then dibs again ;)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

PaulWD
Ashton
Ashton

Post by PaulWD »

Very nearly all film projectors are 110v. Reason for this is the technology involved of making a suitably bright projector lamp filament. As a consequence of this, the amps all need a stepdown trafo to work. They can use a much much smaller one however than originally used, as you're not feeding a sodding big light.

The amp chassis are densely packed, but include an extra excitor circuit and phototube to suck the sound off the film as it passed. So there is an extra tube, coil and gubbins that you don't need.

Goodluck

PaulWD
Ashton
Ashton

Post by PaulWD »

Bg wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:33 pm

Best,
Paul
Sorry Paul, feel free to let it go, in the midst of decluttering ready for a house move - I've filled a skip with unfulfilled projects. I really don't want to fill another before we move, sorry!
No worries. I understand the problem of space. I have a lots of these chassis and they don't go off. I'll likely still have some down the track if you want to have a go later.

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1309 times
Been liked: 867 times

Post by MikeC »

Bg wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:34 pm However if you still have some when we get to the South Island, then dibs again ;)
When are you moving?
Whakanuia o mea kei a koe

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

MikeC wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 3:04 pm
Bg wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:34 pm However if you still have some when we get to the South Island, then dibs again ;)
When are you moving?
Could be in 6 months, but we've not found a house yet. Its just on the horizon :)

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MikeC »

Bg wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 4:13 pm
When are you moving?
Could be in 6 months, but we've not found a house yet. Its just on the horizon :)
Hmmm, I'd better think about getting any cabs built before you leave, freight being what it is! :(

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by clubhouse »

PaulWD wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 3:01 pm Very nearly all film projectors are 110v. Reason for this is the technology involved of making a suitably bright projector lamp filament. As a consequence of this, the amps all need a stepdown trafo to work. They can use a much much smaller one however than originally used, as you're not feeding a sodding big light.

The amp chassis are densely packed, but include an extra excitor circuit and phototube to suck the sound off the film as it passed. So there is an extra tube, coil and gubbins that you don't need.

Goodluck
Thanks for the heads-up. On sighting the pair of KT66s I had a moment of “hmmm, this might just work out” if I could sell them to a hi-fi nut to help fund a replacement PT. So it’s turning out to be one of those ‘fix another problem to fix the problem you want to fix’…I have to dig my Avo out from storage to test the KT66s for sale…I think I’m going to shelve it as I don’t have the time, for all that, right now.

Thanks again for your insights, Paul. When I get rolling with it, in the future, I’ll be sure to post and get your feedback on results :thumbup:
Last edited by clubhouse on Fri Oct 28, 2022 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

When are you moving?
Nelson? Your house isn't on the horizon mate, it slid down the hill into the next valley.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

MikeC wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 4:24 pm

When are you moving?
Hmmm, I'd better think about getting any cabs built before you leave, freight being what it is! :(
The good thing is that after binning most of my workshop last weekend, I can work in there in bad weather now. Normally I have to wait for dry days so I can work outside... I've got dust extraction as well now :) Need to set up some more semi permanent workbenches for router table, bandsaw etc.

Bad news is that its still damp, no proper retaining walls or drainage. Crap really.

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MikeC »

Bg wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 6:08 pm
MikeC wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 4:24 pm

The good thing is that after binning most of my workshop last weekend, I can work in there in bad weather now. Normally I have to wait for dry days so I can work outside... I've got dust extraction as well now :) Need to set up some more semi permanent workbenches for router table, bandsaw etc.

Bad news is that its still damp, no proper retaining walls or drainage. Crap really.
Oh fuck.