Deluxe Reverb - Tweed Cabinet & Hiwatt amp

Amp tinkerers and people who aren't afraid of 700 volts or so in here....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 188 times
Been liked: 900 times

Deluxe Reverb - Tweed Cabinet & Hiwatt amp

Post by Marshmallow »

Hey all,

Last week I sold the deluxe reverb, so I started building a new deluxe reverb. Currently building a tweed cabinet for the new deluxe reverb. It is the same mods as before, but self biased, combo, power reduction switch. I am hoping to use shellac to give it a vintage look. Wiring was completed last weekend and is already up and running.

Been quite busy lately so I just work on my amps without taking photos.

Anyway, does anyone have tweed cabinet plans that will fit the EVM SRO-12 coffee can/ EVM12L? It doesn't seem to fit in the standard tweed cabinet (based on the CAD drawings). I wonder if it would be funny to have a tweed cabinet with a depth of 300mm. The picture below compares the current 260mm with the 300mm. I assume it wuld have bigger bass response etc.
1.png
1.png (118.11 KiB) Viewed 3838 times
As for the Hiwatt Jimmy page amp, Processing the chassis now and started wiring. it should be completed next next week end if not this weekend. Cabinet production for this one should be just after the tweed cabinet. Not hoping ultra clean wiring since the chassis I'm using is quite small. roughly 400mm x 200mm

Cheers

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Re: Deluxe Reverb - Tweed Cabinet & Hiwatt amp

Post by bender »

Exciting!

Voxshall
Gibson
Has liked: 144 times
Been liked: 273 times

Post by Voxshall »

Can I call dibs on the coffee can speaker if you ever decide to sell it, that’s my dream speaker.
Marshmallow wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:45 pm Hey all,

Last week I sold the deluxe reverb, so I started building a new deluxe reverb. Currently building a tweed cabinet for the new deluxe reverb. It is the same mods as before, but self biased, combo, power reduction switch. I am hoping to use shellac to give it a vintage look. Wiring was completed last weekend and is already up and running.

Anyway, does anyone have tweed cabinet plans that will fit the EVM SRO-12 coffee can/ EVM12L? It doesn't seem to fit in the standard tweed cabinet (based on the CAD drawings). I wonder if it would be funny to have a tweed cabinet with a depth of 300mm. The picture below compares the current 260mm with the 300mm. I assume it wuld have bigger bass response etc.

1.png

As for the Hiwatt Jimmy page amp, Processing the chassis now and started wiring. it should be completed next next week end if not this weekend. Cabinet production for this one should be just after the tweed cabinet. Not hoping ultra clean wiring since the chassis I'm using is quite small. roughly 400mm x 200mm

Cheers

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

First look I thought I saw an electric cooking top for the kitchen :D
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Marshmallow »

Voxshall wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:55 am Can I call dibs on the coffee can speaker if you ever decide to sell it, that’s my dream speaker.
Marshmallow wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:45 pm Hey all,

1.png

Cheers
Hey Voxshall,

I got two of them so far. Currently my fav set of speakers and recently just got an EVm12L series 2 (200w) model. Will keep you updated if I find them in Japan.

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Marshmallow »

Jay wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:03 am First look I thought I saw an electric cooking top for the kitchen :D
:lol:

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Marshmallow »

CAB reference.

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Marshmallow »

My first tweed amp style and cabinet - Deluxe reverb style with tweed knob. Pine, tweed tolex and laqured. Thinking of making this cabinet deeper to allow for a better speaker. The current speaker sounds like fart with OD pedal running through the amp.

Been experimenting a lot with different way of building including eyelet. I think i'll stick with turret next time

Last edited by Marshmallow on Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Marshmallow »

Here's the HIWATT amp.

Layout was very challenging but built without much preparation. Not the usual build for me and used a lot of spare parts including the board but I really wanted a HIWATT amp. I usually go stranded wiring as well but not for this case. Surfed online for a smaller chassis layout and eventually finding something similar. Kept preamp similar but major changes on the power section layout. Power supply moved inside. Running el34x2 using blackstar power and output trans. Mostly teflon wiring. Footswitch (for lead) not made yet but it will be by the end of today. Amp works beautifully and extremely loud. FX loop plus level, speaker input, and bias test pins and knob. Chassis is completely handmade and folded. Added the flaps like marshall for easy mount. My first upside down chassis. Glued bits to make sure nothing else moves. Turretboard from ebasy 10mm off the centre to make it smaller.

NO cabinet yet but in the works.

Original chassis size; 483 x 238 x 70 mm
This builds chassis 430x165x70

Last edited by Marshmallow on Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Slick as always!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Nice bit of tweeding
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3465 times
Been liked: 711 times

Post by Cdog »

Hot dang! They look great, that Hiwatt is dreamy... nice buildin! Love to hear a demo or two 😊

Sheriffdohboy
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 55 times

Post by Sheriffdohboy »

It always strikes me how there is some real talented craftsmen in this community....top stuff.....how much for a TW or 18 watt marshall style build roughly???

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Marshmallow »

Cdog wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:56 pm Hot dang! They look great, that Hiwatt is dreamy... nice buildin! Love to hear a demo or two 😊
Hey man I have lots of demos but I don't know how to share it haha. Are we connected in Instagram by any chance?

I have lots of demos, but I don't know how to share them. Are we connected on Instagram by any chance? :lol:

Sheriffdohboy wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:15 pm It always strikes me how there is some real talented craftsmen in this community....top stuff.....how much for a TW or 18 watt marshall style build roughly???
Sorry man I've also got a list here in Japan. I can only sell what I have as a personal collection. I recommend MikeC here in NZguitars, he's awesome!

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1309 times
Been liked: 867 times

Post by MikeC »

Marshmallow wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:50 am
Cdog wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:56 pm Hot dang! They look great, that Hiwatt is dreamy... nice buildin! Love to hear a demo or two 😊
Hey man I have lots of demos but I don't know how to share it haha. Are we connected in Instagram by any chance?

I have lots of demos, but I don't know how to share them. Are we connected on Instagram by any chance? :lol:

Sheriffdohboy wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:15 pm It always strikes me how there is some real talented craftsmen in this community....top stuff.....how much for a TW or 18 watt marshall style build roughly???
Sorry man I've also got a list here in Japan. I can only sell what I have as a personal collection. I recommend MikeC here in NZguitars, he's awesome!
Coming from you that's quite the complement. Thanks!
Whakanuia o mea kei a koe