Prototype Amp 10w SE

Amp tinkerers and people who aren't afraid of 700 volts or so in here....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 189 times
Been liked: 900 times

Re: Prototype Amp 10w SE

Post by Marshmallow »

Hi All,

Sorry I haven't done anything since my last post. Only spent 2 days worth of work on it so far.....I just want to finish it :lol: won't be able to this week since I'll b away as well.

Anyway, I still can't decide whether to put the wires to side or under. I'll put up a poll.

Current

Last edited by Marshmallow on Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2263 times
Been liked: 3907 times

Post by Bg »

a legally binding poll, just saying....
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Marshmallow »

Bg wrote: ↑Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:59 pm a legally binding poll, just saying....
Lol changed haha πŸ˜‚

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Marshmallow »

Going under the board thanks!

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Marshmallow »

Had time to wire it up last night before sleep. Trying a different approach to amp building. It was a pain to work with the solid core especially when running under the board. Had to pre-shape the wiring before soldering. Some wires still need straightening up. Didn't think it would fit snug. Still need to connect a few more things - e.g. grounding, bleeder, reverb to ground, FX loop but mostly done (just dummy jacks atm). Partner got angry so had to stop.

Does anyone have a layout diagram of a standard passive FX loop? Or a hand drawing is ok. Will connect the FX loop between treble and reverb.

Current Progress.

Cheers,

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1313 times
Been liked: 867 times

Post by MikeC »

Did you create the layout drawing?
Whakanuia o mea kei a koe

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Marshmallow »

MikeC wrote: ↑Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:08 pm Did you create the layout drawing?
Yes using diylc. Still making changes.

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Marshmallow »

Had another 10 mins yesterday. Hard to find time nowadays. Will connect the rest of the grounding tonight when I get time.

An old friend of mine told me to do it like this so I did.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7724 times
Been liked: 4169 times

Post by jeremyb »

Any progress yet?
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

you're going to sodder those bus bar joints though eh.... dissapointed that you didn't file and polish the end of it in that picture above, looks a bit gnarly.

seems a shame to leave it less than perfect ;)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Marshmallow »

Bg wrote: ↑Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:22 pm you're going to sodder those bus bar joints though eh.... dissapointed that you didn't file and polish the end of it in that picture above, looks a bit gnarly.
Haha I'll polish it once I hook up all the ground wires. doesn't look as bad, actually looks clean since not many ground wires will connect to it. Will upload more photos later. Probably the effect of a Nokia phone too. 🀣 Cbf doing anything with it atm. It was hard enough to straighten a 12awg from a roll not to mention some coating that I had to take off to get to this point.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Marshmallow wrote: ↑Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:30 pm
Bg wrote: ↑Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:22 pm you're going to sodder those bus bar joints though eh.... dissapointed that you didn't file and polish the end of it in that picture above, looks a bit gnarly.
Haha I'll polish it once I hook up all the ground wires. doesn't look as bad, actually looks clean since not many ground wires will connect to it. Will upload more photos later. Probably the effect of a Nokia phone too. 🀣 Cbf doing anything with it atm. It was hard enough to straighten a 12awg from a roll not to mention some coating that I had to take off to get to this point.
don't worry, I'm just yanking your chain ;)

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3481 times
Been liked: 711 times

Post by Cdog »

Enamelled wire? Gah it's a sod to clean off

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Marshmallow »

Bg wrote: ↑Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:41 pm
don't worry, I'm just yanking your chain ;)
Haha I know πŸ˜‚

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Marshmallow »

Cdog wrote: ↑Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:43 pm
Enamelled wire? Gah it's a sod to clean off
I think that's what it is. It's a wire from the 60s. Covered in cloth then underneath, another coating haha 🀣 will upload photos later on too.