Advice for newbies

Amp tinkerers and people who aren't afraid of 700 volts or so in here....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 188 times
Been liked: 900 times

Re: Advice for newbies

Post by Marshmallow »

MikeC wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:29 pm
Marshmallow wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:20 pm
kiwibilt wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:57 pm Cheers Cdog & thanks for the welcome & the link & rest assured mate, I have a healthy respect for voltage & amps lol.
I can wire a car or a house in 1/2 a day, but never really got into electronics, which is why I scored some text books & will start with a simple circuit.
Looking for 240v Mercury Magnetic transformers & a chassis first I think. Know anyone who has used the Chinese turret boards on ebay ? They appear to use quality components ?
As for the turretboard
I've been using the 2mm Fr4 board for my builds. The chinese ones should also be okay if you can't be bothered making your own.
Me too and I often build the boards myself. Also, many boards (e.g. Fender Blackface, Trinity) aren't available at all or are eyelet boards - I prefer turret boards to work with.
+1 to turret. Way easier to work with.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7692 times
Been liked: 4159 times

Post by jeremyb »

I have been toying with the idea of building a champ myself for so long, instead of the tweed 5F1 though I'm looking at a blackface / silverface champ, the AA764 circuit.

I believe if you put in a switch to bypass the tonestack its essentially a tweed champ then as well, so best of both worlds, I'd also like to use a 10" speaker as I think the new vibro champs with the 10" sound superb, plus I'm a big fan of 10s ever since I got the AC10.

I'm keen to do it pretty much all from scratch, make my own turret board etc... should be a fun journey once I finish my current non-guitar project!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

This looks like a good more local place to source a chassis etc if you're building a 5F1: https://www.evatco.com.au/5f1-chassis-tweed-champ-style
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Some cool videos of repairs and builds out there!