Dual Preamp

Amp tinkerers and people who aren't afraid of 700 volts or so in here....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 188 times
Been liked: 900 times

Dual Preamp

Post by Marshmallow »

Hey guys, just finished the schematic of the fender so production will start Early January.

I'm now planning a double preamp amplifier with a clean channel.

I am thinking of using JCM800 + Soldano SLO preamp with the cleans circuit of the 5e3 amp.

The block diagram I put together says I need 8 tubes in total and about 12 pots. v3A is unused so i think I will also use it as the clean channel of slo. TMB will be separated for JCM and Soldano but there will be a separate gain and MV for each channel. 5e3 will retain its VOL/TONE/MV - all channels will have shared presence and resonance knob.

Another question is. Should the JCM and Soldano overlapped or one channel at a time?

Any thoughts on the combination? Just thought marshall and slo would be a good combination. Since I love fenders, 5e3 also have great cleans.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Re: Dual Preamp

Post by jeremyb »

Sounds like you should make it three channels!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Optical
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 142 times

Post by Optical »

The SLO crunch and clean channels are really good, is there is a reason you dont just want to use those? A 800 circuit with an extra gain stage up front isnt thaaaat different from what you get with a SLO either..
You could also share the first stage, last stage and CF of the SLO into the 800 circuit, then just switch the circuit sections.
Depends if you would be happy with close enough or want it exact, and how much switching you might want to implement

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3465 times
Been liked: 711 times

Post by Cdog »

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 188 times
Been liked: 900 times

Post by Marshmallow »

Optical wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:45 pm The SLO crunch and clean channels are really good, is there is a reason you dont just want to use those? A 800 circuit with an extra gain stage up front isnt thaaaat different from what you get with a SLO either..
You could also share the first stage, last stage and CF of the SLO into the 800 circuit, then just switch the circuit sections.
Depends if you would be happy with close enough or want it exact, and how much switching you might want to implement
Was thinking about this. I originally wanted to use the 800 for just some low to medium gain and the SLO for the high gain. Have the fender clean to use for my pedals. All in one amp haha :lol:

Maybe 3 way switching is enough. Clean/Plexi/SLO
Or
Clean/OD ---> (OD) Plexi/SLO ---> EQ1 MV1/ EQ2 MV2
OR
Clean/OD ---> (OD) Plexi/EQ1 MV1 ---> SLO/ EQ2 MV2