Another ODS build..and a trainwreck

Amp tinkerers and people who aren't afraid of 700 volts or so in here....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 188 times
Been liked: 900 times

Re: Another ODS build..and a trainwreck

Post by Marshmallow »

MikeC wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:44 pm
Marshmallow wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:59 pm
MikeC wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:29 pm I think F&T have the "pedigree/price" but I'm all for caps that are good quality regardless of brand. Some get really picky over "tone" caps but that's another subject :)
Re: Filter caps, I agree.

Haha oh the tone cap discussion.. which do you prefer for your fender builds? :lol:
I don't have a preference - I just go for the best that are affordable and available!!
Fair enough haha I did build a few ODS amps with different caps on them for experiment and the differences between them are noticeable but not by much. I doubt anyone would be able to tell the differences between them caps. :lol:

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1309 times
Been liked: 867 times

Post by MikeC »

Marshmallow wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:55 pm
MikeC wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:44 pm
Marshmallow wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:59 pm

Re: Filter caps, I agree.

Haha oh the tone cap discussion.. which do you prefer for your fender builds? :lol:
I don't have a preference - I just go for the best that are affordable and available!!
Fair enough haha I did build a few ODS amps with different caps on them for experiment and the differences between them are noticeable but not by much. I doubt anyone would be able to tell the differences between them caps. :lol:
With hand wired amps, lead dress might make as much difference!
Whakanuia o mea kei a koe

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Marshmallow »

Been trying to decide whether to wrap the combo cabinet in Kimono silk fabric rather than suede...just too many damn options... Simple black grille.

or reverse.
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (1.17 MiB) Viewed 3041 times

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1420 times

Post by robthemac »

With a black grill, I'd go for the final option.

If you could go for a wheat-coloured grill, I think the second one would look amazing.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Marshmallow »

robthemac wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:34 pm With a black grill, I'd go for the final option.

If you could go for a wheat-coloured grill, I think the second one would look amazing.
That's an awesome colour combo! thanks I want to check out the store this weekend to see the fabric in person. I think they also make them in suede. I'll also play around with a 3d model just in case :lol:

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

Marshmallow wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:39 pm
robthemac wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:34 pm With a black grill, I'd go for the final option.

That's an awesome colour combo! thanks I want to check out the store this weekend to see the fabric in person. I think they also make them in suede. I'll also play around with a 3d model just in case :lol:
I'm assuming you'll be glueing the silk to the cabinet in some way?
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Marshmallow »

robthemac wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:40 pm

Yea pretty much. They have different variations in the shop. I think they also have the ones with backing for "upholstery" so I can just apply it like a tolex. I do hope they have the pattern I like. :lol:

I haven't finalized the design yet, I could even go for plain black suede for the top and bottom and the japanese fabric to the sides. Add some sort of piping where the fabrics meet. I could also use the patterned fabrics as is or gloss poly over the like them "paisley" amps.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

Love the koi, dragon, and peacock/phoenix ones. I think they'd suit amps built in Japan, covered in silk.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

Marshmallow wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:58 pm

Yea pretty much. They have different variations in the shop. I think they also have the ones with backing for "upholstery" so I can just apply it like a tolex. I do hope they have the pattern I like. :lol:

I haven't finalized the design yet, I could even go for plain black suede for the top and bottom and the japanese fabric to the sides. Add some sort of piping where the fabrics meet. I could also use the patterned fabrics as is or gloss poly over the like them "paisley" amps.
I'd go for the tolex application rather than a poly coating. It'll get ripped with time and use, but I don't think that's a bad thing. You'd lose the texture with a poly finish.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

Also, if this doesn't end up being for your personal use, let a brother know.

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Marshmallow »

robthemac wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:03 pm
Marshmallow wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:58 pm

I'd go for the tolex application rather than a poly coating. It'll get ripped with time and use, but I don't think that's a bad thing. You'd lose the texture with a poly finish.

Fair point. I'll proceed with the tolex application. Thanks for the suggestion.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 808 times
Been liked: 1298 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

What an awesome project ! big fan of the koi pattern
Used japanese fabric in a recent surfboard custom
https://www.instagram.com/p/B9dTVj-nngR ... x9c9r9fb2m

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7692 times
Been liked: 4159 times

Post by jeremyb »

Every time you post I think I’ve wasted so much time in my life so far.
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Marshmallow »

jeremyb wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:16 am Every time you post I think I’ve wasted so much time in my life so far.

I'll keep posting then. 😂

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Marshmallow »

Sorry it's been a while since I posted. I have been focusing on switching companies and now that I have found the right company, I have decided to proceed in making the combo. The japanese fabric turns out to be very expensive so I am now checking Ebay for options

I cannot decide between green with tan grille, chocolate brown, black, navy blue or beige white... I'm open to anyone's opinion. My partner said the green is "cute". Black doesn't really suit the room since the walls are white.

See the link below to get you guy started.
https://www.google.com/search?q=two+ro ... 27&bih=873

1.PNG
1.PNG (1.11 MiB) Viewed 2071 times