Another ODS build..and a trainwreck

Amp tinkerers and people who aren't afraid of 700 volts or so in here....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Re: Another ODS build..and a trainwreck

Post by Slowy »

codedog wrote: โ†‘Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:05 pm Not sure if that's your "workshop" as such but it's a rather cool space. Love to look and feel, has a tinge of classroom to it too.
I'm impressed with the pallet inspired furniture. Some great ideas there.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

So the speaker is mounted on plywood baffle which I presume is screwed hard into the cabinet. Then you have a pine 'baffle' in front of that?
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 188 times
Been liked: 900 times

Post by Marshmallow »

Jay wrote: โ†‘Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:39 am So the speaker is mounted on plywood baffle which I presume is screwed hard into the cabinet. Then you have a pine 'baffle' in front of that?
Hi Jay,

Sorry, you got it wrong. The speaker is mounted onto the 12mm ply baffle using m6 bolt with t nuts to match. The plywood baffle is then mounted onto the cabinet frame using m4 bolts with t-nuts to match. Have about 14 m4 at the front and 10 at the back for this particular build) . The "pine baffle" in front is actually a 12mm speaker grill frame which will be velcro'd onto the plywood baffle for easy removal. I found it easier to cut a bigger circle rather than the usual square.

Have a look at the photos below to give you a better understanding of the construction. Hope it helps. Sorry about the photos. I just collected different information from different amps.

https://www.google.com/search?q=t+nut&o ... e&ie=UTF-8
Attachments
Screenshot_20210710-182946.png
Screenshot_20210710-182946.png (169.48 KiB) Viewed 3096 times

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Marshmallow »

Suede fabric arrived. Brown for the combo and green fabric for the head and cab.

I re-did the suede twice due to the glue sipping through the fabric.was unexpected haha ๐Ÿคฃ removed the suede, precut the suede, bought a roller and reapply.

It's almost done. Install the legs and corners. Handles will arrive today as well. Photo makes it look like the chassis is flush with the front edge but the Chassis actually sits 5mm deeper from the front edge.

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Marshmallow »

Handle arrived last night so I quickly finished my amp. ๐Ÿ˜‚ Didn't do the corners so we'll but the good thing is they hide behind the metal corners. Glued the suede, installed the corners and then the handles. turned out looking great! Now to adjust the bias and PI.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

Does it sound as good as it looks? Coz it looks frikkin' epic!

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Sex.
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Marshmallow »

codedog wrote: โ†‘Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:27 pm Does it sound as good as it looks? Coz it looks frikkin' epic!
Thanks man! I'm not gonna say no. This things a beast!

murky
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 270 times
Been liked: 294 times

Post by murky »

Ron Jeremy called.....he wants his hard on back......

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Marshmallow »

So I built the trainwreck for trial a while back much like the 2W ODS. I didn't like the amp at first. After seeing Pete Thorn's video, I decided to try it out again. Turns out, it's just the way the amp works. Im using an old Japanese amp for the chassis..modded the baffle to suit celestion speaker..Seems to be the trend here. ๐Ÿ˜† Anyway, I also didn't use any fancy parts either. (See photos). PT is from an old vintage hifi amp. OPT is from Usa. (Forgot the brand) Currently using 2x 6v6 and 3x 12ax7.

Amp is a beast. goes from clean to extremely fuzzy distortion with just a knob. Had to check with ampgarage if this is normal. Indeed it is๐Ÿ˜† if you want to play at bedroom levels, this amp is definitely not for you. Even with the master volume installed, this amp is loud. Still needs a bit of modding to suit my tone etc but I'm happy with it so far. Harmonics is on a different level especially when you get used to the amp. I guess I should build one just like the original to add to my collection.

Photos below:

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Marshmallow »

So I went to Akihabara and ended up buying mods for the TW amp. Changed the caps to spec and replaced a few components with a different value.

Based in the ampgarage forums, the original trainwreck is apparently a very "glassy/harsh" sounding amp if built directly from the schematic. I found this "Ingrid" mod in the amp forums and decided to try it out.. The amp is a lot warmer, fuller and rounder now. I'm actually loving this amp ๐Ÿค” replaced the combo with a spare yama head type cabinet. Will eventually build a proper cabinet for it ๐Ÿคฃ starting to look like an amp with bigger parts. ๐Ÿ˜†

Next mod, move the standby switch and add the Robinette cut control.

Before:

After

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Have you tried the Sovtek 12AX7WB? apparently Dumble uses them, as do some other high end manufacturers, a good choice for V1 as it tames the bright highs and gives a bit more bass response which all leads to smoother overdrive...
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Marshmallow »

jeremyb wrote: โ†‘Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:00 pm Have you tried the Sovtek 12AX7WB? apparently Dumble uses them, as do some other high end manufacturers, a good choice for V1 as it tames the bright highs and gives a bit more bass response which all leads to smoother overdrive...

Luckily I have a few in my collection. Will try it out and get back to you. ๐Ÿ˜Ž I think amps like these rely on the tubes to make the distortion so changing the valves will greatly affect the characteristics of the amp ๐Ÿค”