Cabinet build for them Dumbles.

Amp tinkerers and people who aren't afraid of 700 volts or so in here....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7692 times
Been liked: 4159 times

Re: Cabinet build for them Dumbles.

Post by jeremyb »

Marshmallow wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:16 pm
jeremyb wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:40 pm I wanna know what you do for a job, you obviously have some serious talent with making stuff!
I work as an architect here in Japan. :lol:
KNNZ wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:55 pm what's a young chap like you staying home so much doing sensible things?? you're in Japan! it's a paradise out there!!
Haha I work 12 hours a day not including the 1 hour trip to work so a young chap like me prefers to stay home and travel once in a while. :lol: Japan is great but smaller than you think :lol:
Nice, that attention to details shows!

I think Japan is larger than NZ land mass wise, but 25 times the population, we have no idea here in NZ :lol:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

vintage52
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 363 times
Been liked: 128 times

Post by vintage52 »

You can tell he has a GF.

There's a girlie dumbell in one of the pictures......

:D :D :D :D :D
Wellington

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 188 times
Been liked: 900 times

Post by Marshmallow »

vintage52 wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:40 am You can tell he has a GF.

There's a girlie dumbell in one of the pictures......

:D :D :D :D :D
Haha yes 😂

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Marshmallow »

:roll: Received the tolex last Wednesday. Yesterday evening, I started watching YouTube videos on "how to tolex an amp". 😂😂😂 Anyway, cut the bits to size and made sure that they reached the inner outer edges of the frame just like the Dumbles. Painted the inside and started gluing the tolex.

All glued.

Them ends. (Bottom)

Added the corners and the feet.

Image.

Drilled the holes today and used the "screw and claw" type to hold the back panel and baffle in place. Used loctite to glue weld the screw nuts to the amp chassis.

The cabinet is almost done apart from the grille (next week) and the 2 claws missing so I need to go to the home centre(the mitre 10 kind) and buy a couple.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2255 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Marshmallow wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:55 pm :roll: Received the tolex last Wednesday. Yesterday evening, I started watching YouTube videos on "how to tolex an amp". 😂😂😂 Anyway, cut the bits to size and made sure that they reached the inner outer edges of the frame just like the Dumbles. Painted the inside and started gluing the tolex.

All glued.

Them ends. (Bottom)

Image.

Drilled the holes today and used the "screw and claw" type to hold the back panel and baffle in place. Used loctite to glue weld the screw nuts to the amp chassis.

The cabinet is almost done apart from the grille (next week) and the 2 claws missing so I need to go to the home centre(the mitre 10 kind) and buy a couple.

Looking good but I'm crying at the staples on the bottom :( Glad you painted the edges black first though, that hides any bad joints quite well.

I'll take pics of how I do the bottom joints on the cab I'm currently doing, hoping to have tolex next weekend. Its not hard to do.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Marshmallow »

Bg wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:44 pm
Marshmallow wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:55 pm :roll: Received the tolex last Wednesday. Yesterday evening, I started watching YouTube videos on "how to tolex an amp". 😂😂😂 Anyway, cut the bits to size and made sure that they reached the inner outer edges of the frame just like the Dumbles. Painted the inside and started gluing the tolex.

All glued.

Them ends. (Bottom)

Image.

Looking good but I'm crying at the staples on the bottom :( Glad you painted the edges black first though, that hides any bad joints quite well.

I'll take pics of how I do the bottom joints on the cab I'm currently doing, hoping to have tolex next weekend. Its not hard to do.
Yea about the bottom... I definitely need some help.. applying tolex is harder than I thought. Haha 😹

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Yeah it's a pain, it's all about.practice...
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

I try to always only make one join, but 2 can be acceptable if.there are corners. Acceptable anyway if you do great joints. I'll take pics when l do this one.

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Marshmallow »

Bg wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:47 pm I try to always only make one join, but 2 can be acceptable if.there are corners. Acceptable anyway if you do great joints. I'll take pics when l do this one.
Thank you! I saw that art on youtube. Just use the blade across right.?? I'm tempted to try right now but it's better for me t owait for the photos haha 😂

Current situation. Speaker installed

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 738 times
Been liked: 511 times

Post by Zaulkin »

Looks amazing bro. Wish I had those skills.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Yep overlap the tolex then blade straight across, in theory its a perfect joint.