Is it possible to import a celestion greenback and make a 12x1 cab cheaper than whats available on the Market?

Amp tinkerers and people who aren't afraid of 700 volts or so in here....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

MrToneNut
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 2 times

Is it possible to import a celestion greenback and make a 12x1 cab cheaper than whats available on the Market?

Post by MrToneNut »

Pretty much as per the title.

I want a 12" celestion, how hard is the cabinet making and is their a simple tutorial somewhere on youtube etc?

Thanks all.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Re: Is it possible to import a celestion greenback and make a 12x1 cab cheaper than whats available on the Market?

Post by Molly »

MrToneNut wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:30 pm Pretty much as per the title.

I want a 12" celestion, how hard is the cabinet making and is their a simple tutorial somewhere on youtube etc?

Thanks all.

Don't know but last year I bought a Barefaced Audio 1x12 that sounded massive due to clever rear design. I was a bit disappointed with the finishing but not the sound. Figured if I was to ever build one I'd copy their design.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1202 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Re: Is it possible to import a celestion greenback and make a 12x1 cab cheaper than whats available on the Market?

Post by sizzlingbadger »

New Greenback on Trademe at present $299
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7688 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Just buy a second-hand katana 50w and use it as a cab, the speaker is basically a greenback :mrgreen:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

sizzlingbadger wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:56 pm New Greenback on Trademe at present $299
Tidy Mesa vertical 212 for $500 too. Always liked those cabs.

k1w1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 391 times

Post by k1w1 »

Talk to BG, he is the Cabmeister, my Tweed Deluxe cab is a thing of beauty.

Hollowpoint
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 19 times

Post by Hollowpoint »

There's a guy on FB selling a homemade "Flat White" 1x12 with a greenback for $300. Looks nicely done. He's in Wellington though.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 928 times

Post by Reg18 »

The tolex/covering is where the real costs come in, the ply wood and making an actual cabinet is pretty cheap, but trying to find some well priced tolex and grill cloth can be a challenge.
Peavey make some cheap 1x12 cabs as do Harley Benton, probably others. Think Vox did a cheap 1x12 with a Greenback too, night train can maybe?

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Yes you can make one cheaper. Will it be as solid or as well finished? Thats another matter. It depends what you're looking at.

If plywood, you want void free plywood - not bunnings quality.
Pine is good but not cheap either, and definitely not at bunnings/mitre10 prices - and their stuff is usually warped/cupped.

If you want Tweed, you will need to import the real stuff, and shipping is what kills it on small quantities - and you'll need shellac to finish it.
Tolex you can buy reasonably priced locally from livesound about $40 a yard which will do you a 1 x 12.
They usually have grille cloth as well, but don't count on it and its plain stuff usually. Fender nz site has stuff at stupid prices.
Then theres feet and handles, corners, glue and screws all can be sourced locally.

For your baffle you'll need T-nuts and bolts to hold the speaker in, black paint for the baffle and some thin batten to hold the grille cloth away from the baffle.

So costs soon add up. Then add in your time.

If you just want a serviceable cab and you don't care if it looks good, then you can get away with pretty much anything - you won't need to worry about finger joints or dovetails. Just glue and screw it.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

You can always make one from recycled rimu or kauri and get the reliced furniture look...
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

MrToneNut
Stagg
Stagg

Post by MrToneNut »

Molly wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:33 pm
sizzlingbadger wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:56 pm New Greenback on Trademe at present $299
Tidy Mesa vertical 212 for $500 too. Always liked those cabs.
Mmmm tasty, I will have t find it, on TM?

Edit: found it, shame its been debadged. Marine ply. GK12 85 Celestions Im not familiar with the tone will check it out.

MrToneNut
Stagg
Stagg

Post by MrToneNut »

I think the cheapest 12x1 celestion is the Blackstar but its the generic celestion. meh $400

Hollowpoint
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 19 times

Post by Hollowpoint »

Yeah, there used to be new Peavey 1x12 cabs on TM with v30s and Greenbacks for $500 but they don't seem to be around anymore.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7688 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Maybe Harley Benton 1x12 and sell / swap the V30? Probably only be $350 landed...
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 188 times
Been liked: 900 times

Post by Marshmallow »

MrToneNut wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:30 pm Pretty much as per the title.

Thanks all.
I can help you with building if you need. Doesnt have to be finger jointed etc. butt jointed is enough i think.. just like the old dumble amps. Or there's a VHT empty cabinets abailable. Mahogany ply finger jointed I think for around 200-300 bucks?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VHT-AV-AL-112E ... Sw~npeVzjc