Dumble Ods style low watt amp

Amp tinkerers and people who aren't afraid of 700 volts or so in here....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 3465 times
Been liked: 711 times

Re: Dumble Ods style low watt amp

Post by Cdog »

Beautiful

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Bg wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:49 pm Sadly my dovetail template only does full dovetails. I'm considering upsizing but the one I want would cost more than 5 routers....
After saying this, I've just been out and bought one.... its only a cheap one but seems sturdy enough. Making a marshall headbox tomorrow so will trial it.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 188 times
Been liked: 900 times

Post by Marshmallow »

Lostininverness wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:34 pm Bloody nice! Did I miss you say what wood type it is? And what have you finished it with?
Its finished in brown basket stain mixed with gunstock finish haha! Works like a charm.

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Marshmallow »

Bg wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:24 pm
Bg wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:49 pm Sadly my dovetail template only does full dovetails. I'm considering upsizing but the one I want would cost more than 5 routers....
After saying this, I've just been out and bought one.... its only a cheap one but seems sturdy enough. Making a marshall headbox tomorrow so will trial it.
haha double win! Just get a shorter router bit and the dovetail jaw or something haha.

They had this jig in the workshop but double sided.

https://images.app.goo.gl/smyQEAtcfppxWWFA8
Last edited by Marshmallow on Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Marshmallow »

new Update GUYS! Mr SRO EV12 will arrive tomorrow!

The model in this particular amp. I remember someone keeps saying its a BRO 12 but is a SRO haha :lol: . EV Alnico at its finest! lets just hope the package is all good :lol:

http://www.amparchives.com/folder/2586/

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Marshmallow wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:52 pm
haha double win! Just get a shorter router bit and the dovetail jaw or something haha.

Pretty much what I got, haven't tested yet... The one I'd love is stupid price and I don't joint enough wood to ever justify its features.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Marshmallow »

Bg wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:38 pm

Pretty much what I got, haven't tested yet... The one I'd love is stupid price and I don't joint enough wood to ever justify its features.
That's awesome! Id love to have one in my home. Haha its a good excuse to keep building more haha. I used bosch trimmer with 1/2 radius and one reverse. The dovetail bit + a very tiny edge rounder.

I recommed to use pine then lined with hardwood on the outside to give that nice look. Pine is just very easy to route and won't cause you any problems. Hardwood tend to chip away if you have a cheaper router bit. :lol: Let us know how the headbox turn out!

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Marshmallow »

Btw the cab is made with EVM12 spec in mind but not ported. Baffle is 12mm MDF but can easily handle any EV speakers. I used bleden wiring and switchcraft jacks for the input jack.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Marshmallow wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:00 pm
Bg wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:38 pm

That's awesome! Id love to have one in my home. Haha its a good excuse to keep building more haha. I used bosch trimmer with 1/2 radius and one reverse. The dovetail bit + a very tiny edge rounder.

I recommed to use pine then lined with hardwood on the outside to give that nice look. Pine is just very easy to route and won't cause you any problems. Hardwood tend to chip away if you have a cheaper router bit. :lol: Let us know how the headbox turn out!
I've routed plenty of cabs now :) Always use sacrificial wood where you can. Not sure thats possible with the new jig, but with my old one it was. As a minimum, use masking tape and any thing that does splinter you have held captive to reglue where necessary. Half blind makes it less obvious on full wooden cabs, so that was my thinking. And doing both joints at once.

I had to replace both my 1/4 and 1/2 routers within the last year, but I only buy cheaper stuff - ryobi 1/2" was the new one, they usually outlive their warranty, if they don't all the better - they get replaced :)

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Jesus H Christ, what a fucking faff about that was! I'm going back to my old through dovetail jig. Yes I need to change the bit twice but thats about it. I can do 4 joints in 5 mins.

With this, it takes me 30 mins and at least 2 test joints before I'm happy.
Fuck that, time is of the essence. I'll revisit for fancy things but not for run of the mill stuff.

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Marshmallow »

Bg wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:52 pm Jesus H Christ, what a fucking faff about that was! I'm going back to my old through dovetail jig. Yes I need to change the bit twice but thats about it. I can do 4 joints in 5 mins.

With this, it takes me 30 mins and at least 2 test joints before I'm happy.
Fuck that, time is of the essence. I'll revisit for fancy things but not for run of the mill stuff.
Haha it takes some time to get used to i guess.. 🤔

Anyway I painted my cab but the paint reacted. Didn't get the right paint. I misread the Japanese texts haha 😂

So have scaped the paint off and will be back to sanding again next week lol 😂 and repainting again...

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Marshmallow »

Anyway here are photos for some updates before the clear coat.

A bit gutted will have to repaint it again. Tired of building the cab🤣

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

woof woof, looking good :)

its just I can bang good joints out of my usual jig nice and quick and that was such a fanny around. I don't even bother doing test joints with my usual as its set up and thats it! With the new one I have to adjust for material size and everything.

The joints look great but for the amount I do, nah.... special occasions ;)

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3465 times
Been liked: 711 times

Post by Cdog »

Looking hot!

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Marshmallow »

Cdog wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:40 pmLooking hot!
Bg wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:32 pm woof woof, looking good :)

its just I can bang good joints out of my usual jig nice and quick and that was such a fanny around. I don't even bother doing test joints with my usual as its set up and thats it! With the new one I have to adjust for material size and everything.

The joints look great but for the amount I do, nah.... special occasions ;)
Thanks! Will do some more work tonight and hopefully get it going. I'm also thinking of getting a mesaboogie Recto-verb and rehousing it to match the cab with a SRO haha. Or just build another amp.