Dumble Ods style low watt amp

Amp tinkerers and people who aren't afraid of 700 volts or so in here....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 188 times
Been liked: 900 times

Re: Dumble Ods style low watt amp

Post by Marshmallow »

Ok so the woodshop came back to me and told me that the "Sugi" wood wont be enough strength for an amp..

I'm left with two options for the head and cabinet:

Mahogany $300 cut and plane (18-20mm)
Alder $160 Cut and plane

Anyone have experiences with these woods for tone?

Best Regards,
Thomas C

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3465 times
Been liked: 711 times

Post by Cdog »

These might be a helpful.
https://celestion.com/speakerworld/pate ... _Handbook/
https://celestion.com/speakerworld/guit ... uitar_Cab/
There are quite a few interesting articles on the celestion site.

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Marshmallow »

Cdog wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:47 pm These might be a helpful.
https://celestion.com/speakerworld/pate ... _Handbook/
https://celestion.com/speakerworld/guit ... uitar_Cab/
There are quite a few interesting articles on the celestion site.
Hey man forgot to reply but these were super helpful! Preparing the build now

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Marshmallow »

So guys I got the African mahogany and been cut to 20mm. I'll be finishing it in satin. Back plates and the front plate for the amp will be figured maple. Thinking if I should put a hold through for ventilation. If anyone has a design let me know haha. I've also made my own finger joint template haha :D and one that's the ukulele I made for my girlfriend in the back :lol: I'm hoping to finish this in a week. I'll be finishing it with satin watco wax but will be using oil stain to darken it up a bit

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3465 times
Been liked: 711 times

Post by Cdog »

Beautiful looking timber!

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Your wood is giving me wood!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Marshmallow »

Update"

Building in Tokyo is a pain. The tools are hard to find and mostly out of stock because people don't do much DIY here. Even looking for the router bit took the whole day. What coul've been done in 15 mins became 10 hours haha. OH The joys of DIY in Japan. Electronic wise, plenty of shops here.

Anyway Finger joint complete, but due to the router bit being cheap (And the only option), it chipped off a lot of chunk from the joints haha. But its a good thing i kept a block of wood with me. I'll be chiseling them to shape and gluing them between gaps.... Last bit of 1/2 inch to be done today and the chip repair begins. After that just the finishes. I'll be using watco wood finishing oil and waxing over it later on to create the nice satin furniture look. Figured maple looking sweet as well.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

I say again: dibs.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Marshmallow wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:21 pm Update"

Building in Tokyo is a pain. The tools are hard to find and mostly out of stock because people don't do much DIY here. Even looking for the router bit took the whole day. What coul've been done in 15 mins became 10 hours haha. OH The joys of DIY in Japan. Electronic wise, plenty of shops here.

Anyway Finger joint complete, but due to the router bit being cheap (And the only option), it chipped off a lot of chunk from the joints haha. But its a good thing i kept a block of wood with me. I'll be chiseling them to shape and gluing them between gaps.... Last bit of 1/2 inch to be done today and the chip repair begins. After that just the finishes. I'll be using watco wood finishing oil and waxing over it later on to create the nice satin furniture look. Figured maple looking sweet as well.
Finger joints and dovetails can be a bitch. Best to back both sides with sacrificial wood.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

oh and always do a test first if you can - make sure you buy more wood than you need. Its easy to think of this stuff in hindsight, which is why I prefer to tolex/tweed cabs.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Marshmallow »

Bg wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:15 pm oh and always do a test first if you can - make sure you buy more wood than you need. Its easy to think of this stuff in hindsight, which is why I prefer to tolex/tweed cabs.
haha thanks for the heads up! its actually looking good now.Filled the gaps with the same wood by chipping the same size away from a spare block. Can't even tell the difference :) I'll be sanding it today then sealing the wood before rubbing it with some satin coating from watco. I'll be testing the finishes today hopefully it'll turn out fine.
robthemac wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:22 pm I say again: dibs.
:lol:

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Marshmallow »

So guys,

I found some spare walnut bits about 10mm but enough to cover the inside of the cab ... I will add it to both front and back of the cab. Maybe 45mm to the back and 15mm to the front to give that extra mojo.. Now the question is, should I line just the outside of the cab(option A) Or frame for the sides and full the top and bottom(option B) or full on walnut to the inside of the cab (makes it 30mm thick haha(option c). see drawing. Any idea would be helpful. This is for the aesthetics + tone of course.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

Good luck with the build - can I please place dibs behind Rob... Rob I believe you have my details :wink:

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Marshmallow »

Mini Forklift wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:33 pm
Good luck with the build - can I please place dibs behind Rob... Rob I believe you have my details :wink:

Thanks haha. I did a quick 3d and found similar colours(texture not accurate). Will look something like this. Colour matched better in real life haha. I will continue building it this weekend. Tried to keep it small for the 2w amp.

Regarding the mesh, not sure what colour yet. Any suggestions would be welcome 😊

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

Basketweave, like old Marshall's?
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.