Whats on your amp workbench?

Amp tinkerers and people who aren't afraid of 700 volts or so in here....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Re: Whats on your amp workbench?

Post by willow13 »

Mike Clayton wrote:
willow13 wrote:94% finished building a new guitar..will post in own thread with some other purchases that I have made over the past 6 months that I haven't mentioned here
Pics or its just a rumour...
no...i'm shit at taking pic as I build stuff so normally it is just a photo of the wood then the finished guitar :rofl: ..don't even think I took a photo of this wood. Maybe Nic (zaulkin) did? NNNNIIICCC
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2261 times
Been liked: 3908 times

Post by Bg »

Closer to amps than anything else.... I tried to decide to do with off cuts. And ended up with making stuff from my more exotic offcuts, like cherry and rimu. Chrome tube offcut, not entirely sure where that came from, just hanging out in the workshop - just in case it came in handy for something.

Pics to follow.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

So... perspective looks a bit weird, I'll take some better pics of the new one I'm going to do tomorrow :D Need one for work too ;) And I have many ideas...

I figured having the best part of 7 hand shandies worth of headphones lying around on desk near water/wine or on floor was an accident waiting to happen!
Attachments
stand1.png
stand1.png (7.68 MiB) Viewed 3403 times
stand2.png
stand2.png (6.88 MiB) Viewed 3403 times
stand3.png
stand3.png (6.64 MiB) Viewed 3403 times
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7724 times
Been liked: 4168 times

Post by jeremyb »

Wowsers, you should be selling those Beeg!!!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

funny you should say that......

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Ok, this weekend I will be mostly finishing an EV Theile cabinet as the majority of bits landed on my desk today - tolex, grille cloth, sound deadening stuff, corners and feet :D

Then starting on a Trinity cab head build.... Most of the bits should arrive tomorrow, some bits early next week.

Then my order book is free, don't be scared to ask for a quote, I'm seldom nasty :D

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Oh and if I get a few mins, I'll finish off a guitar neck headphone stand, which will be for sale. Made from an allparts neck that never ever behaved itself, had to tweak the truss rod every week without fail. What a pile of shit that one was. I've had way better no brand chinese necks....

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

be aware, I've taken out the truss rod, so your headphone stand could end up like a banana..... ;) its only the first 7 frets worth, it should be ok :eek:

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

So the Theile is finished, all bar the wiring and front grille :) Lovely day today in the outside workshop, always a pleasure to build stuff in the sun! Photos to follow tomorrow!

Started cutting wood for the trinity cab, haven't got back onto the headphone stand yet!

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

I am however a bit pissed with myself for doing 3 mitre10 runs when if I'd sat down properly and made a list at the start, one would have sufficed.
Still lovely sunny day, spider with the top down and weezer on the stereo. Cruising.

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1313 times
Been liked: 867 times

Post by MikeC »

Met a guy yesterday who had a pile of vintage Fender blackface amps. Then saw a video of him doing SRV's "Cold Shot" with his band. Jeez, what a cover... great vocal (same guy Dave singing) & nailed the guitar tone thru a Vibroverb & a Vibratone clone (guitar leslie). Far canal! My next project is a Vibroverb. Get swatting on the Vibroverb 1x15 combo cab BG!
Last edited by MikeC on Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whakanuia o mea kei a koe

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3480 times
Been liked: 711 times

Post by Cdog »

Amp tech question.

AB763 fixed Bias circuit, build is complete all Voltages look normal for 2x 5881s. During final tests quite by chance noticed an intermittent Bias runaway from idle at ~28mA to a over 200mA. Bias Voltage plummeted and B+ sagged from 430VDC to a little over 220VDC. Was able to kill the power and inspect right away, thankfully. No issues observed. On re-energising it problem had disappeared... but about 5 minutes later it happens again.

First thought is replace the bias electrolytic capacitor, which I've ordered.
Could it be faulty Power Tubes? Any other ideas?

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1313 times
Been liked: 867 times

Post by MikeC »

You could firstly run it with no power valves installed & confirm no issues. Then if you've got some known good 6L6's/5881's try it with them. PS nice looking build! Also, are you running it with a dim bulb tester - might save you some major component damage whilst fault finding.
Whakanuia o mea kei a koe

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Mike Clayton wrote:Met a guy yesterday who had a pile of vintage Fender blackface amps. Then saw a video of him doing SRV's "Cold Shot" with his band. Jeez, what a cover... great vocal (same guy Dave singing) & nailed the guitar tone thru a Vibroverb & a Vibratone clone (guitar leslie). Far canal! My next project is a Vibroverb. Get swatting on the Vibroverb 1x15 combo cab BG!
Oh that sounds good :) another classic cab ticked off the list!

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3480 times
Been liked: 711 times

Post by Cdog »

Mike Clayton wrote:You could firstly run it with no power valves installed & confirm no issues. Then if you've got some known good 6L6's/5881's try it with them. PS nice looking build! Also, are you running it with a dim bulb tester - might save you some major component damage whilst fault finding.
Cheers Mike. I have some old 5881s kicking around somewhere, good idea. :)