Jansen 6/12 with trem and reverb

Amp tinkerers and people who aren't afraid of 700 volts or so in here....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Re: Jansen 6/12 with trem and reverb

Post by rocklander »

much want that amp... 8)
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

Definitely 2 EL84, cathode biased.
I have the Head version of this, the Jansen 4 Twelve (4 valves, 12 watts clean output, 18 flat out, no trem or reverb). When I got it, Clarry Schollum gave it the once over. I told him to do whatever he thought needed doing and send me the bill. He replaced a couple of caps, added spring clips for the 84's and installed an impedance selector. I put in a matched pair of old Mullard EL84's and 2 original Mullard ECC83's. Depending on where I'm playing, it gets plugged into a THD Duo cabinet or a 1963 Tremolux cab.
I love this amp!
It's sweet and rich at clean volumes. Opened up, it compresses slightly and gets very crunchy. It likes pedals. I've been delighted with the bluesy lead tones from setting the volume between 12 & 2 pm and boosting it with an old Boss Limiter; fat & greasy SRV Strat neck p'up sound. It also loves a Hotcake, but most amps do...

Enough raving.
1. DON'T mess with it.
2. I've probably blown my chances of lifting it from you cheap, but pass it on if you don't love it. These wee beasties are worthy of care and respect.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

hey, is this thing going to be for sale? Common AiRdAd :D
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

Frey wrote:don't think anyone bidded on the auction.
how'd I miss the auction?
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

Would have loved to snap it up, but no available fundage at the time - as is usually the way.

sean k
Stagg
Stagg

Post by sean k »

Selling it unmodded is possibly a better idea than selling it modded because these old amps are getting silly prices and making it hard for people who want them, and understand the technology, to buy cheap, mod and tweak up and get them back into musicians hands who could use them for what they were intended.

Keeping something as it was just for historical reasons, to me, is just stupid when bringing it up to date, without getting silly about it, and have it remain a tool to be used is the really important thing.

But it's your amp and therefore what you want is best... for you.

All we can suggest is what we'ed do. I would do as little as possible until it sounds good... and then do a little more to see if it became better. The trick is in isolating what works well and what needs a bit of tweakin'.

The most important bits on it are the speaker, the PT and the OT. The speaker could be reconed if it ain't one of the better cones to have... I like lotsa ribs myself.
The rest is kinda superfluous... easily replaced but it still may work... and may even be good!

Isolation works well. Being able to tap out the first preamp section into something you like will indicate waht does or doesn't need doing... given the isolation is isolation, ground lifting etc or even using a reasonable 600/600 transformer. Then go through the thing a section at a time tweakin' or replacin' till it sings.

Even better is knowin' someone who knows these amps and will be able to tell you pretty much straight out where to work. Knowing a car only needs the points filed and tidied up is lots more efficient than replacing the whole distributor!

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

Hi guys,

I put a couple of things up for sale with the intention of selling one thing. I ended up selling my Bassman - so luckily I can keep this one. I'm going to give it to Anvil Amps Allan. He is going to have a look at it and will get it going at it's best for me.

I was initially thinking of getting it modded up a bit, but I'm just going to keep it as original as i can. With maybe some minor adjustment to make the most of it - if it is necessary.

Thanks for your input and advice guys.
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

AiRdAd wrote:Hi guys,

I put a couple of things up for sale with the intention of selling one thing. I ended up selling my Bassman - so luckily I can keep this one. I'm going to give it to Anvil Amps Allan. He is going to have a look at it and will get it going at it's best for me.

I was initially thinking of getting it modded up a bit, but I'm just going to keep it as original as i can. With maybe some minor adjustment to make the most of it - if it is necessary.

Thanks for your input and advice guys.
Good onya Mate. It'll never be a Boogie or a Pitbull but if it's like mine, it's a really sweet 'n snarly vintage amp. Don't know what the Rola speaker sounds like, but a Celestion Blue would make it seriously sweet & loud :D
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

Hey Danny, sorry to bring up this old thread... what happened to this amp? Do you still have any pics? Circuit diagram?
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

I sold it ages ago sorry and don't have any pic/diagrams :-(
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Well wasn’t that a merry trip down memory lane.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

And I just noticed, I've banging on about my Jansen/Blue combo for a decade now! :wtf:

I AM THE ANTIMOLLY!!!!!!!!!