Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 928 times

Blues Breaker pedal users

Post by Reg18 »

One of favourite pedal circuits in the last 5-10 years has been the Blues Breaker, and I’ve made a few myself but decided it was time to refine it a little more to my taste and see if I could get it sounding even better or at least more versatile.

I’ve spent most of my weekend trying many different mods to the Blues Breaker circuit and I’ve landed on a couple that I’m happy with although would like others opinions on what’s most useful.
I’ve implemented a few different things based on KOT ideas mostly although I’ve looked closely at Morning Glory and Wampler Pantheon circuits for inspiration as well.
Black Box schematic doesn’t appear to be available anywhere.

Firstly and likely to stay (inspired by the Snouse boost idea) mod is the boost. It’s actually like a second gain knob to take it into higher gain. It’s loosely based on the high gain version of the KOT but instead of a dip switch I’ve used a pot to make it variable and values were closer to a Pantheon gain switch than the KOT after some experimenting.

The other 2 mods which are on switch’s, both set to the right are stock Blues breaker. Top switch flicked to the left changes a value to be closer to the KOT, adds a thicker upper mid range but perhaps at the cost of some of the original blues breakers attack and bite in my view. Although smoother and rounder which is also
Nice.
Bottom switch flicked to the left changes another value based on a modification I altered from the PrInce Of Tone, it makes it clearer and thins out the midrange to give a really transparent sound which would work better for stacking or with heavy reverb etc.

Both switch’s cover similar sounds but implemented in different ways and there are subtle differences and can interact together as well.
I’m not to keen to over complicate it so wondering if 1 switch would suffice but I’d like some others opinions.

If you currently own a blues breaker (or variant) I’d love to send you the proto to try and see how you like it.
Would love to get Feedback on the tone, are the switch’s useful? Are the switch’s needed? Did you just love both switch’s set to the right therefore stock blues breaker basically.
(I understand tone is subjective so looking for people who already know and love the Blues Breaker tone)

Looking for test pilots.
Attachments
BB5F893B-064D-4F92-A093-EE13C0880151.jpeg
BB5F893B-064D-4F92-A093-EE13C0880151.jpeg (2.6 MiB) Viewed 4635 times

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 437 times
Been liked: 256 times

Re: Blues Breaker pedal users

Post by clubhouse »

Reg18 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:50 pm One of favourite pedal circuits in the last 5-10 years has been the Blues Breaker, and I’ve made a few myself but decided it was time to refine it a little more to my taste and see if I could get it sounding even better or at least more versatile.

I’ve spent most of my weekend trying many different mods to the Blues Breaker circuit and I’ve landed on a couple that I’m happy with although would like others opinions on what’s most useful.
I’ve implemented a few different things based on KOT ideas mostly although I’ve looked closely at Morning Glory and Wampler Pantheon circuits for inspiration as well.
Black Box schematic doesn’t appear to be available anywhere.

Firstly and likely to stay (inspired by the Snouse boost idea) mod is the boost. It’s actually like a second gain knob to take it into higher gain. It’s loosely based on the high gain version of the KOT but instead of a dip switch I’ve used a pot to make it variable and values were closer to a Pantheon gain switch than the KOT after some experimenting.

The other 2 mods which are on switch’s, both set to the right are stock Blues breaker. Top switch flicked to the left changes a value to be closer to the KOT, adds a thicker upper mid range but perhaps at the cost of some of the original blues breakers attack and bite in my view. Although smoother and rounder which is also
Nice.
Bottom switch flicked to the left changes another value based on a modification I altered from the PrInce Of Tone, it makes it clearer and thins out the midrange to give a really transparent sound which would work better for stacking or with heavy reverb etc.

Both switch’s cover similar sounds but implemented in different ways and there are subtle differences and can interact together as well.
I’m not to keen to over complicate it so wondering if 1 switch would suffice but I’d like some others opinions.

If you currently own a blues breaker (or variant) I’d love to send you the proto to try and see how you like it.
Would love to get Feedback on the tone, are the switch’s useful? Are the switch’s needed? Did you just love both switch’s set to the right therefore stock blues breaker basically.
(I understand tone is subjective so looking for people who already know and love the Blues Breaker tone)

Looking for test pilots.
Nice work, kemosabi. I have a Snouse BB with a million toggles on it and a MG V4. Both are on my son's (The dude) board the moment. He's over in Brizzy catching Fontaines DC at Laneways. Due back later in the month. Any chance I could get a proto to demo against these later this month? I'd like to catch you up about one of your 'lightspeed' pedals as well...diggin' your work, man.

PS: the BBs toggles are side mounted...pain in the butt as they can get knocked and also predetermine pedal spacing...glad to see yours are more sensibly mounted than that!

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

[/quote]

Nice work, kemosabi. I have a Snouse BB with a million toggles on it and a MG V4. Both are on my son's (The dude) board the moment. He's over in Brizzy catching Fontaines DC at Laneways. Due back later in the month. Any chance I could get a proto to demo against these later this month? I'd like to catch you up about one of your 'lightspeed' pedals as well...diggin' your work, man.

PS: the BBs toggles are side mounted...pain in the butt as they can get knocked and also predetermine pedal spacing...glad to see yours are more sensibly mounted than that!
[/quote]

I’d love to get hold of a Snouse Black Box schematic to see how they have have done everything. Might need to try a deeper internet dive on that one.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Nice one Reg, had a KOT clone for a while and altho' it was really cool I'm loving the Jan Ray more these days!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

jeremyb wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:25 pm Nice one Reg, had a KOT clone for a while and altho' it was really cool I'm loving the Jan Ray more these days!
Yet another pedal I must build, the list gets longer!
Apparently a Timmy variant but I’m unsure if that’s 100% true.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Reg18 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:30 pm
jeremyb wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:25 pm Nice one Reg, had a KOT clone for a while and altho' it was really cool I'm loving the Jan Ray more these days!
Yet another pedal I must build, the list gets longer!
Nah its pretty much on the money, I had a timmy in the past and I don't remember it having this much fucking volume though :lol:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

FuzzMonkey
Gibson
Has liked: 510 times
Been liked: 407 times

Post by FuzzMonkey »

Looking forward to seeing how this unfolds.
"There's no creativity without vulnerability."

www.fantailaudio.com

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

FuzzMonkey wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:28 pm Looking forward to seeing how this unfolds.
Much thanks for responding to my many questions regarding Marshall 3 band tone stacks and other EQ experiments (of which there were many)

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

I have a Blues Breaker model that I use on the Source Audio LA Lady. Really enjoy it. Happily have a blat on yours, if that's useful.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

FuzzMonkey
Gibson

Post by FuzzMonkey »

Reg18 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:34 pm Much thanks for responding to my many questions regarding Marshall 3 band tone stacks and other EQ experiments (of which there were many)
Always happy to share my knowledge with anyone willing to learn.

www.fantailaudio.com

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

It recently came off my board. The KOT is a great gigging pedal. It boosts all the frequencies you need to be heard live and does a great job of it.
None of this is required in one's bedroom.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

chur
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 210 times

Post by chur »

Love the aesthetics of your pedals Reg :thumbup: For me, I made clones of both the KOT and Whampler Pantheon. I only use it to add grit to a clean amp, so sold the KOT and kept the Pantheon due to its additional tone shaping flexibility with the separate bass knob and voicing switch. Never tried them as boosts.
No one ever died of hard work.. but why take the risk..

FuzzMonkey
Gibson

Post by FuzzMonkey »

Reg18 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:30 pmYet another pedal I must build, the list gets longer!
They are basically the same circuit topology with maybe a handful of component values being changed. I haven't actually looked at the schematics side-by-side.

www.fantailaudio.com

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

Reg, whatever OD circuit is in the pedal you built for me, it is bloody good.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

MiniForklift
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 364 times

Post by MiniForklift »

FWIW I've owned a couple of the BlackBox Snouse pedals, both the small and the large three-knobbed V1's. From memory they both sounded pretty similar and worked great as a boost. There was definitely enough gain there to push the front end of an amp enough for it to be used as a medium gain OD, which is how I used it with everything set at 1 o'clock. I took my small V1 BlackBox back to the UK with me and compared it to my Dad's original old Marshall Bluesbreaker and they sounded pretty much the same to my ears, no real discernible differences anyway

Your pedal looks fantastic btw Reg. The original Bluesbreaker and the Snouse firmly fall into my tonal territory, happy to be a test pilot if that helps... can I buy one from you if I like it ?!
Attachments
95658728-5FAA-4635-A26B-F99355864796.jpeg
95658728-5FAA-4635-A26B-F99355864796.jpeg (1.01 MiB) Viewed 4337 times
“𝐑𝐞𝐚𝐥𝐢𝐭𝐲 𝐢𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐩𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐥𝐢𝐞𝐬 𝐛𝐞𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐞𝐧 𝐝𝐢𝐬𝐚𝐩𝐩𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐭𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐞𝐱𝐩𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧”