Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 317 times
Been liked: 933 times

Trigger happy disputes TM buyer

Post by Reg18 »

So I $1 reserved a fuzz pedal auction last week, the day the new owner got it they have put through disputes resolution for goods “not being as described”. They didn’t even email Me first to check, just straight to disputes.
I got in touch and said is there an issue with the pedal? they said yea it sounds nothing like the video you posted in the auction.
I said I play a JTM45 with a Tele, what do you play. To which they replied, I play a much smaller amp a Marshall G15R and a Harley Benton H3 so that’s probably why it sounds different…..can I get my money back please!
Now I’m not even sure it’s worth fighting over $96 but
am I being over dramatic or is this crazy?

Here’s the auction

https://www.trademe.co.nz/music-instrum ... 942975.htm

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1105 times
Been liked: 1421 times

Re: Trigger happy disputes TM buyer

Post by robthemac »

Reg18 wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:57 pm So I $1 reserved a fuzz pedal auction last week, the day the new owner got it they have put through disputes resolution for goods “not being as described”. They didn’t even email Me first to check, just straight to disputes.
I got in touch and said is there an issue with the pedal? they said yea it sounds nothing like the video you posted in the auction.
I said I play a JTM45 with a Tele, what do you play. To which they replied, I play a much smaller amp a Marshall G15R and a Harley Benton H3 so that’s probably why it sounds different…..can I get my money back please!
Now I’m not even sure it’s worth fighting over $96 but
am I being over dramatic or is this crazy?

Here’s the auction

https://www.trademe.co.nz/music-instrum ... 942975.htm
Your justification sounds very reasonable, but maybe doesn't make a lot of sense to whoever is manning TradeMe's dispute resolution service. Hard to know if you should fight it. I probably wouldn't bother.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Olderama
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 973 times
Been liked: 876 times

Post by Olderama »

Fucking hell sigh 😕
Unreal eh?
:mental:

Kiwiaxe
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 244 times

Post by Kiwiaxe »

He is being a dick. Imagine buying an Eric Johnson guitar and then suing because you don't sound like Eric when you play it...

But, that being said, I'm a real proponent of the theory that being right isn't always worth it.

FuzzMonkey
Gibson
Has liked: 510 times
Been liked: 407 times

Post by FuzzMonkey »

+1 for he's being a dick. You could get more worlds apart than a JTM45 into a 4x12 and a solid-state combo with an 8" speaker. What do they expect?
"There's no creativity without vulnerability."

www.fantailaudio.com

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

Kiwiaxe wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:39 pm He is being a dick. Imagine buying an Eric Johnson guitar and then suing because you don't sound like Eric when you play it...

But, that being said, I'm a real proponent of the theory that being right isn't always worth it.
I don’t think they will let it go until they have their money back but I’ve asked for a video so they can show me the sound they are hearing so I know exactly what they mean.
I’d assume they are a beginner due to the gear they have and fuzz pedals aren’t always the most user friendly for beginners. Took me years to fully appreciate any fuzz pedal
Let alone an odd ball 60s Bender type one!
It’s like you said, if I buy this TS808 will it make me sound just like SRV? Well he had a wall of loud amps and years of practice so probably not but would Ibanez have to give a refund?

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 168 times
Been liked: 250 times

Post by Capt. Black »

I feel it's questionable whether linking to a video is a good idea. Sets up an expectation (with unpredictable results) On the other hand, if a buyer asks for examples, that's kind of a different scenario.

Buying interesting and unique gear on trademe is a suck it and see kind of thing. If you don't imediately like it, well, that's on the buyer.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

Capt. Black wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:05 pm I feel it's questionable whether linking to a video is a good idea. Sets up an expectation (with unpredictable results) On the other hand, if a buyer asks for examples, that's kind of a different scenario.

Buying interesting and unique gear on trademe is a suck it and see kind of thing. If you don't imediately like it, well, that's on the buyer.
I’m starting to question my videos after this incident, I thought I would be doing everyone a favour by giving an example of the potential tones on pretty much every pedal but it looks like it’s come back to bite me this time.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 638 times
Been liked: 804 times

Post by hamo »

Hi I'm Andy from Pro Guitar Shop dot com...
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 655 times
Been liked: 561 times

Post by TmcB »

Also sucks that Reg has that superpower of making anything sound amazing. That said, it’s a unique circuit and you use it with a tube amp and single coils.

If you’re wailing away with a samick and a peavey rage there are very few pedals that will save you from sounding crap.

I think if it hadn’t been a $1 reserve I’d have probably refunded and pointed them towards a metalzone, but since they got it for a good price and it’s their lack of capability/knowledge that’s the problem then I’d stick to my guns.

It’s akin to wanting a refund on a pair of Air Jordan’s because they didn’t make you dunk.
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Capt. Black »

TmcB wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:31 pm I think if it hadn’t been a $1 reserve I’d have probably refunded and pointed them towards a metalzone, but since they got it for a good price and it’s their lack of capability/knowledge that’s the problem then I’d stick to my guns.
I think this is an extremely good point.

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Capt. Black »

Reg18 wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:15 pm
Capt. Black wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:05 pm I feel it's questionable whether linking to a video is a good idea. Sets up an expectation (with unpredictable results) On the other hand, if a buyer asks for examples, that's kind of a different scenario.

I’m starting to question my videos after this incident, I thought I would be doing everyone a favour by giving an example of the potential tones on pretty much every pedal but it looks like it’s come back to bite me this time.
Reg, I admit I haven't been paying much attention to what you're up to. Are you making pedals to sell? Make to order? Just making as one-off projects?

I think the videos are great. I guess my comment was more about HOW one uses video examples. I wouldn't let this experience put you off though.

If you're making to sell or to order for people, I reckon a youtube channel is a fairly essential thing these days. But for a listing like this, I'd probably say something like, have a look at tone clips on my channel to hear this and other builds available. Maybe?

I've mentioned this before but years ago when I was semi-involved with Paul/FuzZie bRo pedals, I'd encourage Paul to test them across lots of amp and guitar combinations. We had the luxury of a studio with JTM45, SuperLead, SuperBass, Vintage Fender Showman, JC120, Jansen amps plus LPs, Teles Strats among others. That helped get a feel for what worked with what. When he listed pedals Paul could make comments on what to expect from them with different gear. Nothing too detailed. Just a flavour guide as such.

I nly watched the video yu linked but maybe it could have benefited from a bit of variety in amps and guitar combinations...???

Anyway, as TMB said, when you can make them sound amazing, you're showing the potential in the gear. That tells the buyer what they can expect if THEY put the effort in. It's not a guarantee.

And yeah, it was a one dollar reserve. That's the nature of auctions.

What would it have cost if it was a "production model"? $150? $200? $300? They got a bargain.

Mosfet
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 38 times

Post by Mosfet »

Refund it and I’ll take it lol

Kev77
Mr Echo
Has liked: 357 times
Been liked: 283 times

Post by Kev77 »

Thanks for the info, meksmaylem blacklisted
"Cash on the ballot, money to burn, Dealey Plaza, make a left-hand turn" Bob Dylan is a genius

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 125 times
Been liked: 386 times

Post by Kris »

it was a 1$ reserve-no one forced him to bid what he did! he could always sell it to the bloke he out bid for $95 :)