Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

FuzzMonkey
Gibson
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 510 times
Been liked: 407 times

NPD: A JHS Modded Jimi Hendrix Fuzz Face with a Twist

Post by FuzzMonkey »

So I recently picked this up on through one of the New Zealand guitar-related Facebook groups. I had owned one previously but sold it a few years ago with the usual seller's remorse. I had one sent to me for a little TLC a few months ago and forgot how good these sounds so when it popped up I was super keen. Especially now it is getting harder and harder to find the larger version.

The mod basically replaced the resistor networks; a fixed value resistor and a trimpot that bias each of the two transistors with a couple of potentiometers so you experiment and get some more interesting and unique flavours of fuzz out of the pedal. The taper of the volume is also changed to increase the perceived output. Here's the video Josh did explaining everything and modding the pedal itself:

I, myself only watched the video in full the other day with the twist being, that this is the actual pedal you see being modded in the video. The previous owner had won the giveaway mentioned at the end but wasn't really into fuzz. Hence the sale. I had the intention of modding it myself back to stock or a potentially a Mojo-style build; a hybrid Jimi Hendrix / Eric Johnson Fuzz Face using a pair BC183s I've had for a while.

But since this new information has surfaced, I am now having second thoughts.

What should I do???

~ Blake.
"There's no creativity without vulnerability."

www.fantailaudio.com

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 488 times

Re: NPD: A JHS Modded Jimi Hendrix Fuzz Face with a Twist

Post by JHorner »

FuzzMonkey wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:03 pm forgot how good these sounds so when it popped up I was super keen. Especially now it is getting harder and harder to find the larger version.

What should I do???
Keep it as your reference and build a clone for modding in a standard enclosure and drill holes so the trim pots can be accessed externally.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Sell it for a decent profit on reverb and retire :mrgreen:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 928 times

Post by Reg18 »

Sell it to me then buy a standard version.
Although I think I’d probably prefer the standard version as well, Reverb might be the only place to get the best price.

Edit: I just got a shipment of the Bonamassa FF germanium transistors, from Ukraine of all places! Now I just need to find some time to assemble some.

FuzzMonkey
Gibson
Has liked: 510 times
Been liked: 407 times

Post by FuzzMonkey »

jeremyb wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:18 pm Sell it for a decent profit on reverb and retire :mrgreen:
That very well might be the plan.
Reg18 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:31 am Sell it to me then buy a standard version.
Although I think I’d probably prefer the standard version as well, Reverb might be the only place to get the best price.

Edit: I just got a shipment of the Bonamassa FF germanium transistors, from Ukraine of all places! Now I just need to find some time to assemble some.
I was jealous after you picked up that red Fuzz Face on Trade Me not so long ago. I've got it biased to the original spec as seen in the schematic on FSB.org at the moment but I am considering selling it.
"There's no creativity without vulnerability."

www.fantailaudio.com