2 pedals in 1 enclosure: What are the ultimate combos?

Pedal manufacturers in here...

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 752 times
Been liked: 252 times

2 pedals in 1 enclosure: What are the ultimate combos?

Post by Miza »

Considering my next pedal builds. I want a good all-round medium-gain OD (Bluesbreaker?), and something higher-gain (MIAB?).

Always been a big fan of the Catalinbread DLS series, so might grab this:
https://aionfx.com/project/triton-preamp-drive-mk-iii/

And pair it with one of the many BB variants out there.

All this got me thinking, with so many PCBs out there I wanna build, do y'all reckon it's worthwhile combining two PCBs into one 1590BB enclosure? Do they fit? (assuming each is designed for it's own 125B/1590b).

I figure this would save on parts (1 enclosure and 2 jacks anyway, still need 2 3PDTs), save on power supply taps, and save on pedalboard space.

So, what are the ultimate pedal combos? TS into Marshall? Klon into Bluesbreaker? Keen to hear suggestions.
Nothing to see here.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Re: 2 pedals in 1 enclosure: What are the ultimate combos?

Post by robthemac »

Miza wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:28 pm Considering my next pedal builds. I want a good all-round medium-gain OD (Bluesbreaker?), and something higher-gain (MIAB?).

Always been a big fan of the Catalinbread DLS series, so might grab this:
https://aionfx.com/project/triton-preamp-drive-mk-iii/

And pair it with one of the many BB variants out there.

All this got me thinking, with so many PCBs out there I wanna build, do y'all reckon it's worthwhile combining two PCBs into one 1590BB enclosure? Do they fit? (assuming each is designed for it's own 125B/1590b).

I figure this would save on parts (1 enclosure and 2 jacks anyway, still need 2 3PDTs), save on power supply taps, and save on pedalboard space.

So, what are the ultimate pedal combos? TS into Marshall? Klon into Bluesbreaker? Keen to hear suggestions.
TS into Klon is my favourite. I currently have a Wampler that does heavily-modified TS and Dumble but you can switch the order around. Pretty cool.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Depends on the amp you’re using, I’d make the order switchable too, a king of tone clone would go a long way to achieve what you want, a ton of gain on tap!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

FuzzMonkey
Gibson
Has liked: 510 times
Been liked: 407 times

Post by FuzzMonkey »

It would be great if you could incorporate a toggle switch to change the order of the effects i.e. which one is first and is driving the second one.

I'm a sucker for any MIAB pedal and had an original DSL Mk II before upgrading to the DSL Mk III but found it quite dark sounding. To my ear at least. I also had a DIY DSL Mk I that I made years ago using one of the projects from Madbean.

And a ZVex Box of Rock, another Madbean project.

Good days; great times.

~ Blake.
"There's no creativity without vulnerability."

www.fantailaudio.com

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 928 times

Post by Reg18 »

I’m a Fan of the Blues breaker circuit and it stacks well with most others too. There is a couple of resistors you can change to make it closer to the Prince of tone no doubt without having you alter much from the PCB.
I reckon the Greer Southland would go well as a second stage with it, or even the Light Speed of you didn’t want as much gain. Lots of options that would stack well with a Bluesbreaker, TS variants, MIAB etc

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 752 times
Been liked: 252 times

Post by Miza »

FuzzMonkey wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:11 pm It would be great if you could incorporate a toggle switch to change the order of the effects i.e. which one is first and is driving the second one.
I've seen some diagrams that show how to do that.

That little monster is awesome! What a cool idea.

Of the 3 DLS versions, which was your favorite?
Nothing to see here.

FuzzMonkey
Gibson

Post by FuzzMonkey »

Miza wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:20 pm
FuzzMonkey wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:11 pm It would be great if you could incorporate a toggle switch to change the order of the effects i.e. which one is first and is driving the second one.

I gifted the Box of Rock to someone and unfortunately, I cannibalised the 2N5457 out of the Little Monster some time ago. It has been a while since I've played through any of them, but I remember definitely remember using the DSL Mk I for the longest and the DSL Mk II the least. The DSL Mk I was pretty much an always-on pedal set on the verge of the break-up with other pedals pushing it.

www.fantailaudio.com

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

FuzzMonkey wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:32 pm

I gifted the Box of Rock to someone and unfortunately, I cannibalised the 2N5457 out of the Little Monster some time ago. It has been a while since I've played through any of them, but I remember definitely remember using the DSL Mk I for the longest and the DSL Mk II the least. The DSL Mk I was pretty much an always-on pedal set on the verge of the break-up with other pedals pushing it.
DSL MK I was one of those regrettable sales of mine, at 18V it sounded incredible thru a clean amp!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

FuzzMonkey
Gibson

Post by FuzzMonkey »

jeremyb wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:23 pm DSL MK I was one of those regrettable sales of mine, at 18V it sounded incredible thru a clean amp!
Like most of us, one of many no doubt.

I think it was because the tone controls were super simple and it was easy to dial-in was the reason I liked it so much. I don't think I ever ran it at 18-volts because I didn't have an 18-volt power supply at the time. Maybe I should resurrect the old girl and give it a try?

www.fantailaudio.com

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

jeremyb wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:23 pm
FuzzMonkey wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:32 pm

DSL MK I was one of those regrettable sales of mine, at 18V it sounded incredible thru a clean amp!
I still have it, thank you very much. :D
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

I'm quite pleased at the moment with a gold Archer into a Timmy.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

FuzzMonkey
Gibson

Post by FuzzMonkey »

Slowy wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:57 pm I'm quite pleased at the moment with a gold Archer into a Timmy.
I'm pretty sure that the Klon and the Timmy, or variants of, make up 80% of the overdrive pedal designs in the world today. :wink:

www.fantailaudio.com

Voxshall
Gibson
Has liked: 144 times
Been liked: 273 times

Post by Voxshall »

Cornerstone are bringing out a pedal called the Imperium, basically a Gladio SC on one side and Antique on the other that I have high hopes on.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

FuzzMonkey wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:39 pm
Slowy wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:57 pm I'm quite pleased at the moment with a gold Archer into a Timmy.
I'm pretty sure that the Klon and the Timmy, or variants of, make up 80% of the overdrive pedal designs in the world today. :wink:
So I'm not the only one who thinks they sound really good?

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 247 times

Post by griff »

Something with assymetrical clipping into a Marshall. You could do an SD1 type thing with a low end control.
I'm using Tony's Bronson, and it's the ducks nuts!
Some guys do use the TS into Marshall's but the clipping in them can smooth out a raucous Marshall a bit too much.