Let's Build A Uni-Vibe: Introducing The Pадио Москва (Radio Moscow) Atmospheric Modulator - Sound Sample Added 2/1/2022

Pedal manufacturers in here...

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

MiniForklift
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Been liked: 364 times

Re: Let's Build A Uni-Vibe: Introducing The Pадио Москва (Radio Moscow) Atmospheric Modulator - Sound Sample Added 2/1/2

Post by MiniForklift »

FuzzMonkey wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:20 pm
MiniForklift wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:31 pm Depending on when you launch I’d probably be keen for one too
My goal is within the first quarter of this year.
Once I’m back on my feet (literally) I’d take one, that probably won’t be before the middle of this year. Sold my Deja Vibe a couple of days ago so there’s a gap on my board that will need to be filled

Price-wise I really have no idea what it will be, but if it is anywhere up to around $500ish I’d be interested
“𝐑𝐞𝐚𝐥𝐢𝐭𝐲 𝐢𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐩𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐥𝐢𝐞𝐬 𝐛𝐞𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐞𝐧 𝐝𝐢𝐬𝐚𝐩𝐩𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐭𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐞𝐱𝐩𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧”

FuzzMonkey
Gibson
Has liked: 510 times
Been liked: 407 times

Re: Let's Build A Uni-Vibe: Introducing The Pадио Москва (Radio Moscow) Atmospheric Modulator - Sound Sample Added 2/1/2

Post by FuzzMonkey »

MiniForklift wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:43 pm Once I’m back on my feet (literally) I’d take one, that probably won’t be before the middle of this year. Sold my Deja Vibe a couple of days ago so there’s a gap on my board that will need to be filled

Price-wise I really have no idea what it will be, but if it is anywhere up to around $500ish I’d be interested
Picking me over Mike Fuller? I'll take that. :D
"There's no creativity without vulnerability."

www.fantailaudio.com

MiniForklift
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MiniForklift »

Well for one I’ve had a few Fulltone units. They’re relatively accessible and replaceable, I’m sure if I wanted another Deja Vibe I could get another one pretty easily. Your one looks awesome, ticks all of the boxes and reading through this thread I don’t think I need to be concerned about quality

Second and more importantly, if there’s the option I’d rather give my $$ to someone on here. That was the reason I chose to buy my Les Paul from Conway rather than trying to save a few dollars and importing it in from Sweetwater or Andertons

FuzzMonkey
Gibson

Post by FuzzMonkey »

MiniForklift wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:46 pm Well for one I’ve had a few Fulltone units. They’re relatively accessible and replaceable, I’m sure if I wanted another Deja Vibe I could get another one pretty easily. Your one looks awesome, ticks all of the boxes and reading through this thread I don’t think I need to be concerned about quality

Second and more importantly, if there’s the option I’d rather give my $$ to someone on here. That was the reason I chose to buy my Les Paul from Conway rather than trying to save a few dollars and importing it in from Sweetwater or Andertons
Thanks for supporting local. You definitely don't have to look far to find some very talented people making some really cool and interesting guitar-related products here in New Zealand. Be it pedals, amps, or guitars.

~ Blake.

www.fantailaudio.com

FuzzMonkey
Gibson

Post by FuzzMonkey »

I'll preface this by saying that I am no graphic designer but would love to hear people's thoughts on the first conceptual draft of the artwork for my Uni-Vibe. Things might move around spacing wise depending on where things end up on the final PCB design but this is the concept I had in my head pretty much from the start. The enclosure will be light grey like the original unit, hence the black and white colour scheme of the artwork. Again, inspired by the original source material.

Below: The first draft of the artwork.

Just to recap, Pадио Москва means Radio Moscow in Russian and was the inspiration behind the creation of the Uni-Vibe by Fumio Mieda. See my very first post in this thread for more information and an interview with the inventor himself.

The red dots are the holes for the pots, the yellow dots are the holes for the footswitches, and the blue dots are the holes LEDs. The LED at the top of the antenna is the LFO LED and will flash in time with the speed and intensity of the modulation and change colour depending on whether it is in Chorus or Vibrato mode. Or, if the LFO is in Cancel mode, just turn a solid red colour. The bottom LED is doubles as the status LED for the bypass and an indicator of the input mode using a bicolour LED. Blue for the original Vintage mode and red for the Modern mode.

I'm leaning towards a separate faceplate but am also considering UV printing. So I'd love to hear if there are any preferences one way or another in regards to a separate faceplate over UN printing or vice versa.

~ Blake.
Last edited by FuzzMonkey on Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

www.fantailaudio.com

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

FuzzMonkey wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:12 pm I'll preface this by saying that I am no graphic designer but would love to hear people's thoughts on the first draft of the artwork for my Uni-Vibe. Things might move around spacing wise depending on where things end up on the final PCB design but this is the concept I had in my head pretty much from the start. The enclosure will be light grey like the original unit, hence the black and white colour scheme of the artwork. Again, inspired by the original source material.

Below: The first draft of the artwork.

Just to recap, Pадио Москва means Radio Moscow in Russian and was the inspiration behind the creation of the Uni-Vibe by Fumio Mieda. See my very first post in this thread for more information and an interview with the inventor himself.

The red dots are the holes for the pots, the yellow dots are the holes for the footswitches, and the blue dots are the holes LEDs. The LED at the top of the antenna is the LFO LED and will flash in time with the speed and intensity of the modulation and change colour depending on whether it is in Chorus or Vibrato mode. Or, if the LFO is in Cancel mode, just turn a solid red colour. The bottom LED is doubles as the status LED for the bypass and an indicator of the input mode using a bicolour LED. Blue for the original Vintage mode and red for the Modern mode.

I'm leaning towards a separate faceplate but am also considering UV printing. So I'd love to hear if there are any preferences one way or another in regards to a separate faceplate over UN printing or vice versa.

~ Blake.
Same caveat applies...

However, your brand, with the cute wee piwakawaka, is completely lost.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

The individual elements of that design are cool - your logo, the B&W, the radio tower, the Russian writing. But togther it doesn't work. I'd Hire a designer - find someone who does gig posters or something. I have used www.fuzzbox.co.nz, she is local and has done some good stuff for me

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

From a selling/marketing point of view, the Russian name is going to cause lots of problems for people and potentially lose you sales - Google and site searches, customers not knowing what to ask for, etc. I would keep it as a secondary name but use an English name to market it by. Probably Radio Moscow.
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

FuzzMonkey
Gibson

Post by FuzzMonkey »

codedog wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:20 pm Same caveat applies...

However, your brand, with the cute wee piwakawaka, is completely lost.
Thanks for the feedback. He does get a little bit lost down there. Especially with the lack of a black background in that part of the design.
rickenbackerkid wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:28 pm The individual elements of that design are cool - your logo, the B&W, the radio tower, the Russian writing. But togther it doesn't work. I'd Hire a designer - find someone who does gig posters or something. I have used www.fuzzbox.co.nz, she is local and has done some good stuff for me
Thanks for the feedback, the honesty, and the link. I'll definitely check out their website.
Conway wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:37 pm From a selling/marketing point of view, the Russian name is going to cause lots of problems for people and potentially lose you sales - Google and site searches, customers not knowing what to ask for, etc. I would keep it as a secondary name but use an English name to market it by. Probably Radio Moscow.
You're right. It does sound cool but who outside of someone like me who has dived deep down a Uni-Vibe rabbit hole would get that reference? I appreciate your feedback from a retailer's point of view.

www.fantailaudio.com

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 807 times
Been liked: 1295 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

I think you should make it even more absurdly Russian. Angled typeset Stalin propoganda stuff.
Go full brutalist on it
Good luck. Rad concept !
High five !

MiniForklift
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MiniForklift »

One other sidenote, are people going to realise this is a Uni-Vibe style pedal? I wouldn’t associate an ‘Atmospheric Modulator’ with a vibe unless there were a few more clues with the artwork on the pedal. For example, you could have the tower sitting on the head/hair of Jimi instead of the moon

I also agree your logo is a little lost where it currently is. IMO it should be up higher - fantail’s do fly after all

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

StrummersOfThunder wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:17 pm I think you should make it even more absurdly Russian. Angled typeset Stalin propoganda stuff.
Go full brutalist on it
Good luck. Rad concept !
High five !
Agreed!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

FuzzMonkey
Gibson

Post by FuzzMonkey »

StrummersOfThunder wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:17 pm I think you should make it even more absurdly Russian. Angled typeset Stalin propoganda stuff.
Go full brutalist on it
Good luck. Rad concept !
High five !
That is an option.
MiniForklift wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:06 pm One other sidenote, are people going to realise this is a Uni-Vibe style pedal? I wouldn’t associate an ‘Atmospheric Modulator’ with a vibe unless there were a few more clues with the artwork on the pedal. For example, you could have the tower sitting on the head/hair of Jimi instead of the moon

I also agree your logo is a little lost where it currently is. IMO it should be up higher - fantail’s do fly after all
Another good point. I guess I was trying to be a little different as nearly every Uni-Vibe pedal out there seems to have the word Vibe on it.

www.fantailaudio.com

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Conway »

Spaceman Effects did the full on Russian thing with the Sputnik germanium fuzz, but they were limited edition runs alongside the standard pedal.

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Conway »

I quite like the "Atmospheric Modulator" tag. You could make things clearer by having the footswitch label "Vibe/Chrous" instead of "Mode".