Let's Build A Uni-Vibe: Introducing The Pадио Москва (Radio Moscow) Atmospheric Modulator - Sound Sample Added 2/1/2022

Pedal manufacturers in here...

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

H671
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 264 times

Re: Let's Build A Uni-Vibe: Introducing The Pадио Москва (Radio Moscow) Atmospheric Modulator - Sound Sample Added 2/1/2

Post by H671 »

FuzzMonkey wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:47 am

Below: Molotow's Liquid Chrome paint.

And armed with some masking tape and my airbrush, I set to work.

Below: The painted light shield.

~ Blake.
Where do you buy this liquid chrome paint?
Epiphone Riviera P93 & EJ200CE, Hagstrom Viking Bass, Doubleneck bass/guitar.
Rivera Clubster 45, Carvin AG100D, Ashton BSK158.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7692 times
Been liked: 4159 times

Re: Let's Build A Uni-Vibe: Introducing The Pадио Москва (Radio Moscow) Atmospheric Modulator - Sound Sample Added 2/1/2

Post by jeremyb »

FuzzMonkey wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:43 am
Conway wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:23 am This is fascinating Blake. Your attention to detail is to be applauded! I'd love to try out a prototype once you get it completed.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks so. The enclosure for the prototype just arrived yesterday so that's my next task; boxing it up. Again, the enclosure is larger than what I intend on using for the actual production version as all the switching on the prototype is done by traditional footswitches and toggle switches rather than the planned microcontroller that will allow me to assign multiple functions to the same footswitch. Cutting everything down to just two soft-touch footswitches instead of the three traditional footswitches and two toggle switches on the prototype. A few things have evolved during this whole process that I will explain in more detail once I completed the prototype. That was always going to be the last piece of the puzzle; the switching, after everything else was to my liking.

If you're keen; you're more than welcome to try it out. I'd really appreciate the feedback from the second set of ears. As well as from a functional point of view too.
Definitely need a new year gearfest to show it off too!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

FuzzMonkey
Gibson
Has liked: 510 times
Been liked: 407 times

Post by FuzzMonkey »

H671 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:03 pm Where do you buy this liquid chrome paint?
Gordon Harris (https://www.gordonharris.co.nz/category ... me-markers). It is not cheap and I didn't shop around but will last forever for what I will be using it for.
"There's no creativity without vulnerability."

www.fantailaudio.com

FuzzMonkey
Gibson

Post by FuzzMonkey »

jeremyb wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:47 pm
Definitely need a new year gearfest to show it off too!
[/quote]

It will be a bit further for me to travel these days than the last one the Reg's organised but I'm keen to show it off especially once I get an actual production prototype, not just the proof of concept prototype that I'm working on at the moment.

www.fantailaudio.com

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

FuzzMonkey wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:07 pm
jeremyb wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:47 pm Definitely need a new year gearfest to show it off too!
It will be a bit further for me to travel these days than the last one the Reg's organised but I'm keen to show it off especially once I get an actual production prototype, not just the proof of concept prototype that I'm working on at the moment.
Whereabouts you located these days Blake?
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

FuzzMonkey
Gibson

Post by FuzzMonkey »

jeremyb wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:17 pm Whereabouts you located these days Blake?
In Taranaki for the time being as a result of a few major changes in life circumstances.

www.fantailaudio.com

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

FuzzMonkey wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:52 pm
jeremyb wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:17 pm Whereabouts you located these days Blake?
In Taranaki for the time being as a result of a few major changes in life circumstances.
Crikey, yes that would be a bit of a trek, hope all is working out for you :-)

FuzzMonkey
Gibson

Post by FuzzMonkey »

jeremyb wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:43 pm Crikey, yes that would be a bit of a trek, hope all is working out for you :-)
Yes. I'm taking steps in the right direction.

www.fantailaudio.com

FuzzMonkey
Gibson

Post by FuzzMonkey »

As part of my Shiny vs. Non-Shiny light shield experiment, I recorded another classic Uni-Vibe riff into my Ditto Looper with the prototype set to a medium speed and intensity. The only difference is between the two clips, is the use of the shiny and the non-shiny version of the light shield.

This time, apologies go out to Robin Trower:

I'd be interested to hear people thoughts on whether they hear any differences; no matter how small. Especially those of you with a set of top-notch monitors/speakers.

As always, enjoy!

~ Blake.

www.fantailaudio.com

sty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 207 times

Post by sty »

FuzzMonkey wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:51 pm
I'd be interested to hear people thoughts on whether they hear any differences; no matter how small. Especially those of you with a set of top-notch monitors/speakers.

As always, enjoy!

~ Blake.

OK In an effort to help, here's what I can hear/notice

Listening through my Mac into a set of open-back Sennheiser HD590 Hi-Fi headphone at moderate volume. I do not have perfect ears.

I'm sure there's a difference, and I homed in on it using the trail off delay that happens at about the 6second mark for a couple of seconds.

The black version (non-chrome) seems to have some sort of deep subtle double warble to it as it descends, kind of like an extra shimmer or layer. What I'm hearing isn't there on the Chrome version. It's not horrible or nasty, but the Chrome version definitely sounds smoother and sweeter to me (in a very subtle way)

I tried to describe phonetically what I was hearing, a bit like trying to write down wah-wah playing, but it didn't work so I give up ;)

( sat there listening to this small section once I'd home in on it for a few minutes switching from one to the other and playing a few passes down that slide on one then switching etc. Not scientific but it allowed me to articulate what I'm hearing).

Edit - OK listened again. You know when you tuning strings by harmonics and you haven't got it quite right yet but it's close and the two tones kind of beat against each other and you get that wahhing as they go in and out of phase. It's kind of like that specific effect on one harmonic and it's deeper or more noticable on the black version and doesn't sound as pleasant to my ears. (BUT THIS IS VERY SUBTLE and who knows what it would sound like in a mix)

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

A vote for the black version, sounds more organic to me, the chrome version seems a little sterile in comparison :-)

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1420 times

Post by robthemac »

First one is a little brighter at the very top end, and is preferable to my ears.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

FuzzMonkey
Gibson

Post by FuzzMonkey »

sty wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:03 pm OK In an effort to help, here's what I can hear/notice

Listening through my Mac into a set of open-back Sennheiser HD590 Hi-Fi headphone at moderate volume. I do not have perfect ears.

I'm sure there's a difference, and I homed in on it using the trail off delay that happens at about the 6second mark for a couple of seconds.

The black version (non-chrome) seems to have some sort of deep subtle double warble to it as it descends, kind of like an extra shimmer or layer. What I'm hearing isn't there on the Chrome version. It's not horrible or nasty, but the Chrome version definitely sounds smoother and sweeter to me (in a very subtle way)

I tried to describe phonetically what I was hearing, a bit like trying to write down wah-wah playing, but it didn't work so I give up ;)

( sat there listening to this small section once I'd home in on it for a few minutes switching from one to the other and playing a few passes down that slide on one then switching etc. Not scientific but it allowed me to articulate what I'm hearing).

Edit - OK listened again. You know when you tuning strings by harmonics and you haven't got it quite right yet but it's close and the two tones kind of beat against each other and you get that wahhing as they go in and out of phase. It's kind of like that specific effect on one harmonic and it's deeper or more noticable on the black version and doesn't sound as pleasant to my ears. (BUT THIS IS VERY SUBTLE and who knows what it would sound like in a mix)
It is at that 6-second mark as, as you put it, where the riff trails off that I hear the difference too. To my ears, it sounds more presence; the shiny one that is, but it is a very subtle difference between the two. Maybe I need to repeat the exercise using slower or faster speed/intensity settings. Due to the LFOs non-linear operation (one of its quirks that makes it such a unique effect), at slower and faster speeds, the intensity of the LFOs signal is less therefore the brightness of the bulb is also less at those settings. See the diagram below:

(Image courtesy of the Classic Amplification website https://www.classicamplification.net/efx/VibeFAQ.html)

My hypothesis is if there is less light available does the reflective surface make a difference by potentially maximising its exposure to the LDRs and thus alter the tone in any way.
jeremyb wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:27 am A vote for the black version, sounds more organic to me, the chrome version seems a little sterile in comparison :-)
Maybe the non-shiny light shield absorbs just enough light to take some of the edge off.
robthemac wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:32 pm First one is a little brighter at the very top end, and is preferable to my ears.
Thanks for the feedback. Another vote for the non-shiny light shield.

www.fantailaudio.com

sty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 207 times

Post by sty »

out of interest, is you non-shiny one really matt, or just black uncoated (and could be less reflective, rather than not reflective). Curious for no good reason but to satisfy my brain itching for ideas and answers

FuzzMonkey
Gibson

Post by FuzzMonkey »

sty wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:56 am out of interest, is you non-shiny one really matt, or just black uncoated (and could be less reflective, rather than not reflective). Curious for no good reason but to satisfy my brain itching for ideas and answers
Just black uncoated. Here's a better photo of what the inside looks like:

www.fantailaudio.com