Let There Be Rock: A '68 Marshall Super Lead In A Box! *** Sound Sample Just Added ***

Pedal manufacturers in here...

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

FuzzMonkey
Gibson
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 510 times
Been liked: 407 times

Re: Let There Be Rock: A '68 Marshall Super Lead In A Box! *** Sound Sample Just Added ***

Post by FuzzMonkey »

Cdog wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:52 pmSounds great :)
Thanks.
"There's no creativity without vulnerability."

www.fantailaudio.com

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1313 times
Been liked: 867 times

Re: Let There Be Rock: A '68 Marshall Super Lead In A Box!

Post by MikeC »

FuzzMonkey wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:50 pm I made this short clip this evening to give people an idea of how the prototype currently sounds.

Enjoy!
Sounds great to my ear. Did you design the circuit or borrow it?
Whakanuia o mea kei a koe

FuzzMonkey
Gibson

Post by FuzzMonkey »

MikeC wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:25 am
Thanks Mike. I did design the circuit. But to be 100% open and honest, I did borrow from the amp itself for things like the values of the resistors and capacitors in the tone stack (though I am strongly considering scaling the tone stack down), coupling caps, bypass caps, and the bright cap values in order to authentically capture the frequency response and feel of the actual amp as much as possible.

www.fantailaudio.com

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1313 times
Been liked: 867 times

Post by MikeC »

FuzzMonkey wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:37 am
MikeC wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:25 am
Thanks Mike. I did design the circuit. But to be 100% open and honest, I did borrow from the amp itself for things like the values of the resistors and capacitors in the tone stack (though I am strongly considering scaling the tone stack down), coupling caps, bypass caps, and the bright cap values in order to authentically capture the frequency response and feel of the actual amp as much as possible.
I'm 99.999% sure there's a percentage of "borrowing" in all amps and pedals made since Adam was a boy so you're in good company! Which amp/speaker did you use to record your clip?
Whakanuia o mea kei a koe

FuzzMonkey
Gibson

Post by FuzzMonkey »

MikeC wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:25 am I'm 99.999% sure there's a percentage of "borrowing" in all amps and pedals made since Adam was a boy so you're in good company! Which amp/speaker did you use to record your clip?
Yes. It is very difficult these days to be 100% original. At the fundamental level, electronics devices such as op amps, transistors, or tubes for that matter only work in one way in terms of getting them to amplify an audio signal. Well, a couple of different ways for op amps; inverting vs. non-inverting for example.

So you're left with the topology of the design to make it uniquely your own. Obviously when you're designing something to simulate some else it hard not to borrow from the original. There might a number of different way to achieve the desired result; whether it be clipping diodes in the feedback loop of an op amp or in this case, cascading three mosfet gain stages. You're still copying the frequency response and gain characteristics despite whatever technology you decide to use.

For the recording, I used overwound PAF-style bridge pickup in a Les Paul-style guitar directly into the pedal and then into my modeling software (Amplitude) using a Fender-style clean and a 4x12 cabinet loaded with Greenbacks.

It was a pretty quick and dirty. I am not very experienced in recording and I don't own any microphones to milk cabinets etc. So my options were limited.

www.fantailaudio.com