NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 1064 times

Sasquatch

Post by NippleWrestler »

A long time ago me and an amp tech embarked on making an amp called The Bigfoot, built around a dead Laney AOR but with some modern improvements and finessed tuning. It was awesome and after I played it for a few years it now lives in amp tech's jam room where is shakes the walls.

This pedal was built in honour of that great beast. Huge, fat, loose, soggy, and saturated like a 70s amp on the verge of explosion. I wasn't going for modern design, tight and cutting, more doom in a box. Sleep, DopeSmoker, Sabbath, good sounds. A low slung Les Paul with PAFs, drop D, and it's a lot of fun.

Gain from 0-2.5 is classic rock and blues territory but from there it's more and more saturated until you're in doom territory just droning fat spongy riffs all day long. It's addictive. A 3 band active EQ takes care of the sculpting. The 3 way toggle switch features 2 pairs of asymmetrical clippers doing different things, or bypassed in the middle if you like lots and lots of volume. Clean channel be damned.

I had a request for different knobs and some mods to the low end for even more weight. Handily I'd been tuning down the amount of fat over the iterations so I went back a couple of revisions and it lives as the Full Fat variant:

Bonus dog:

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 928 times

Re: Sasquatch

Post by Reg18 »

Looks awesome! Are there any demos anywhere?

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by NippleWrestler »

Reg18 wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:36 pm Looks awesome! Are there any demos anywhere?
Not yet man. It's a pain in the ass to do video recordings and I'm a better pedal guy than I am video guy.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

Yeah I’m the same, I bought one of these Rode mics for this reason and most of the time I just use this into my iPhone and do no editing, it’s not the best but the mic handles 120db ish so it’s means I get no clipping. Today I used my proper camera with an SM57 going directly into it and did a basic edit in iMovie, defiantly took longer and it’s slightly better but I can’t be bothered spending the time editing in front of a computer or doing hundreds of takes to get a higher quality video.
https://www.rubbermonkey.co.nz/Rode-Vid ... gItxPD_BwE

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by NippleWrestler »

Reg18 wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:20 pm Yeah I’m the same, I bought one of these Rode mics for this reason and most of the time I just use this into my iPhone and do no editing, it’s not the best but the mic handles 120db ish so it’s means I get no clipping. Today I used my proper camera with an SM57 going directly into it and did a basic edit in iMovie, defiantly took longer and it’s slightly better but I can’t be bothered spending the time editing in front of a computer or doing hundreds of takes to get a higher quality video.
I do audio and video for part of my job , but tv and film are quite a bit easier because there's a dedicated crew. I've been micing a cab with an SM58 into an interface, then into Reaper which I like the sound of, then syncing the video footage afterward, but I'm like Ola in that whatever I play through just sounds like me playing. I don't think I'm a nuanced enough player to really demonstrate anything other than doom riffs. Then there's the equation it's all going through my fingers, pickups, amp, cab, speakers, etc etc so unless someone is running very similar gear it'll sound pretty different. For all the talk about front end stuff, the speakers are the biggest filter of sound.

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 737 times
Been liked: 511 times

Post by Zaulkin »

I tried one of these out recently and can confirm that it is a thick sounding beast of a pedal.

I'm sold - will be doing a demo when I can pick mine up.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

NippleWrestler wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:04 pm
Reg18 wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:20 pm Yeah I’m the same, I bought one of these Rode mics for this reason and most of the time I just use this into my iPhone and do no editing, it’s not the best but the mic handles 120db ish so it’s means I get no clipping. Today I used my proper camera with an SM57 going directly into it and did a basic edit in iMovie, defiantly took longer and it’s slightly better but I can’t be bothered spending the time editing in front of a computer or doing hundreds of takes to get a higher quality video.
I do audio and video for part of my job , but tv and film are quite a bit easier because there's a dedicated crew. I've been micing a cab with an SM58 into an interface, then into Reaper which I like the sound of, then syncing the video footage afterward, but I'm like Ola in that whatever I play through just sounds like me playing. I don't think I'm a nuanced enough player to really demonstrate anything other than doom riffs. Then there's the equation it's all going through my fingers, pickups, amp, cab, speakers, etc etc so unless someone is running very similar gear it'll sound pretty different. For all the talk about front end stuff, the speakers are the biggest filter of sound.
Yeah I get what you mean now, I’m
The same in the sense it always sounds like me no matter what I play through. It takes a very skilled player to cross over genres and be convincing at the same time.

Jops
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Jops »

Set Tone to 0 then smash the knob off.

Love the velcro gain textures.

FuzzMonkey
Gibson
Has liked: 510 times
Been liked: 407 times

Post by FuzzMonkey »

Looks awesome Tez. Well done!
"There's no creativity without vulnerability."

www.fantailaudio.com

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Some talented people on this forum. Pictures look great too. Reg great. Nice dog.