Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

What sort of analog pedal would you buy

Overdrive
53%
Boost
23%
Fuzz
20%
Original spec fuzz/boost (no DC power etc)
3%

Total votes: 30

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 928 times

Re: Survey of what pedals people buy

Post by Reg18 »

Seems like most people are buying OD pedals by the survey.
Do you think you still will in future even though the digital rigs are likely to be sufficient to cover most gigs?

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

JHorner wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 12:54 pm First 3 options but not the 4th.

Edit:
Oh, what would I buy in future, not what have I bought.

Then none. I hope. Went through the pedal gas cycle and ended up with pedals I'm happy with and don't intend to repeat the cycle.
Please tell me how you achieved such a pure state? I thought I was done also but the shakes and cold sweats got to me...and now I have a second board. Justified by one being for gigs the other being for more artistic ventures.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Reg18 wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 8:08 am Seems like most people are buying OD pedals by the survey.
Do you think you still will in future even though the digital rigs are likely to be sufficient to cover most gigs?
I would still use an analog OD or Fuzz with a digital rig, never going to see a hotcake or a specific flavour of big muff I like in said digital rigs :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Candeevr4
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 265 times

Post by Candeevr4 »

Reg18 wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 8:08 am Seems like most people are buying OD pedals by the survey.
I was still using od pedals in front of my Katana, though you have to work out what works and doesnt.

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

Reg18 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 3:15 pm Side note, when I was looking for your pedals for sale I had a look at the preowned section on tonelounge and what a great range he has there!
Good prices and a great range of pedals!
https://tonelounge.co.nz/pre-owned-pedals/
Cheers Reg. And the Sundog is a really nice pedal, I like that one a lot. :thumbup: Huge range of great, usable sounds.
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

GrantB wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 8:08 am

Edit:

Then none. I hope. Went through the pedal gas cycle and ended up with pedals I'm happy with and don't intend to repeat the cycle.
Please tell me how you achieved such a pure state? I thought I was done also but the shakes and cold sweats got to me...and now I have a second board. Justified by one being for gigs the other being for more artistic ventures.
Good man Grant! Well, as long as you've got rid of that horrible Line 6 M5 thing!

I'm working on my 3rd board. Just because so much to choose from.
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 227 times

Post by Delayman »

Overdrives (/distortions) are the ones i've most gone through trying to get a sound i can enjoy. Most others are pretty stable on the board. But I have been through a lot of different overdrives. Often run into issue like the ones that sound great for single notes have annoying intermodulation on multiple notes, and great rhythm sounds don't play well with the lead sound i have etc. Always interested in new pedals.

I reckon my ideal would be an overdrive that mixed some clean signal for definition in BUT compressed the clean. There are pedals out that mix in clean (pork loin, sparkle drive) but the more you dig in, the clean sound comes to the front too much.
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

IMOCD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 479 times
Been liked: 221 times

Post by IMOCD »

Delayman wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 10:45 am I reckon my ideal would be an overdrive that mixed some clean signal for definition in BUT compressed the clean. There are pedals out that mix in clean (pork loin, sparkle drive) but the more you dig in, the clean sound comes to the front too much.
I find the EHX Plumes does this well.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 928 times

Post by Reg18 »

Delayman wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 10:45 am Overdrives (/distortions) are the ones i've most gone through trying to get a sound i can enjoy. Most others are pretty stable on the board. But I have been through a lot of different overdrives. Often run into issue like the ones that sound great for single notes have annoying intermodulation on multiple notes, and great rhythm sounds don't play well with the lead sound i have etc. Always interested in new pedals.

I reckon my ideal would be an overdrive that mixed some clean signal for definition in BUT compressed the clean. There are pedals out that mix in clean (pork loin, sparkle drive) but the more you dig in, the clean sound comes to the front too much.
Yeah I found that with those pedals, owned both the Pork Loin and Sparkle and it never really worked for me.
My current favourite OD is the Blues Breaker variants.
Nice immediate attack under the fingers.
One thing I’d love to build (but don’t have the skills)
Is an actual tube preamp (like a Princeton reverb) with an IR loader intergrated that can also run stereo effects on the output. Basically what the Strymon Iridium does but all analog with an actual tube preamp. Weather it would sound better I’m not sure but id love to build one one day.

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 488 times

Post by JHorner »

GrantB wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 8:08 am

Edit:

That was probably rhetorical but:

1) I got over the fact that to me, phase, wah, trem, delay, rotary only sound good when someone else is using them.
2) I stopped trying to find "do it all" gain pedals and just kept 4 different ones that do one thing each really fuckin well.
3) I gave up on "amp sim" pedals. Not because they're not good. I'm just content with a Mesa 6L6 sound.
4) I gave up on drive stacking. Unity volume tweaking and feedback and tap dancing and loops and fuck all that noise.
5) I got rid of vintage pedals that artists I admire had used at some point. Fuck it, they themselves moved on decades ago.
6) I stopped trying to emulate others sound. Especially recorded sound. I'll play your song the way I play it and with whatever level of gain I feel like at the time.

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 837 times
Been liked: 358 times

Post by jimi »

Digital rigs can do it all today, but I don't want one.

Pedals are cool, hit a price point where you can satisfy some gas without threat of divorce, have a bit of fun then flick them on when something else shiny comes along.

They're simple, 2-3 (or 6) dials, nudge here or there and your set.

I did like the M13 / M9 / M5 range for both the huge range of effects, but also the simplicity - it was like massive multifx that anyone who can handle a basic pedal board can work out - a button for each effect off and on, and a couple of knobs on each effect to tweak. Sure you could do 4 channel mode, before and after, and map expressions to dials etc, but you didnt have to.

I end up with option paralysis though - too many options = too much fiddling, and never quite happy.

Couple of dirt pedals, single channel amp, I'm all set. The thought of getting an ampsim / multifx thing and working it out / setting it up /programing it etc just makes me want to put the guitar down and watch TV or something else... anything else.

Closest I have is the Boss WAZA headset, and even that I just picked my favourite of the channels it came set up with and use that.

vyfster
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 76 times
Been liked: 71 times

Post by vyfster »

jimi wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 6:51 pm
Digital rigs can do it all today, but I don't want one.
I end up with option paralysis though - too many options = too much fiddling, and never quite happy.
This!

Also, I find that I just don't experiment with all the different effects that I have at my disposal with a multifx because it's a PITA and feels like all the effects are locked / hidden away. It isn't really but there's something nice and simple with having a pedal that does a specific thing where you can tweak some *ahem* knobs to get different variations of the effect. Because of the accessibility of the varying effects I experiment more - that is when I get off the computer and actually pick up the guitar!

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 227 times

Post by Delayman »

IMOCD wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 10:56 am
Delayman wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 10:45 am I reckon my ideal would be an overdrive that mixed some clean signal for definition in BUT compressed the clean. There are pedals out that mix in clean (pork loin, sparkle drive) but the more you dig in, the clean sound comes to the front too much.
Do you mean the earthquaker devices one? I don't think that has a way of mixing in the clean with the overdriven? Do you just mean it's transparent?

The thing i like about mixing some clean(ish) back in with the overdriven is having grunt of a good overdriven sound, but a bit of clarity for chord voicings etc.
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

IMOCD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 479 times
Been liked: 221 times

Post by IMOCD »

Delayman wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 11:13 am
IMOCD wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 10:56 am
Do you mean the earthquaker devices one? I don't think that has a way of mixing in the clean with the overdriven? Do you just mean it's transparent?

The thing i like about mixing some clean(ish) back in with the overdriven is having grunt of a good overdriven sound, but a bit of clarity for chord voicings etc.
Doh, yes that's the one. My understanding is one of the toggle positions (to the right) mixes dry with overdriven. Might be wrong tho.

Kev77
Mr Echo
Has liked: 357 times
Been liked: 283 times

Post by Kev77 »

I tend to buy delay pedals, just saying
"Cash on the ballot, money to burn, Dealey Plaza, make a left-hand turn" Bob Dylan is a genius