Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

What sort of analog pedal would you buy

Overdrive
53%
Boost
23%
Fuzz
20%
Original spec fuzz/boost (no DC power etc)
3%

Total votes: 30

FuzzMonkey
Gibson
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 510 times
Been liked: 407 times

Re: Survey of what pedals people buy

Post by FuzzMonkey »

NippleWrestler wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 12:49 pm I'm with you. I don't see the point buying clones of popular pedals (something like a klone is different since the originals are hard to find and/or insanely overpriced) and I'm more inclined to support new designs that look cool and are built well.

You probably know I build them too and my best selling unit is a 2 channel drive pedal in a 1590bb of all things. I thought it'd be a fuzz but nope.
Be original I say. Or at the very least push the design evaluation forward on what's already out there by putting your own twist on things.
"There's no creativity without vulnerability."

www.fantailaudio.com

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 928 times

Post by Reg18 »

I’m seeing how far I can push the tone shaping of a basic single transistor overdrive, I’m getting pretty close to something I’m happy with. I’ve gone with a germanium transistor and it does sound smooth for sure. I find the single transistor drives really responsive but a little ratty sounding (which is cool in its own way) like an exploding small amp type thing. I think from
My experiments it’s possible to smooth things out and keep the immediacy of the attack. Trying to make it as simple as possible but still great sounding. It might look something like this.
Attachments
4C6576D4-F1E6-4044-A157-E93D74D0FC6F.png
4C6576D4-F1E6-4044-A157-E93D74D0FC6F.png (494.9 KiB) Viewed 2073 times

FuzzMonkey
Gibson
Has liked: 510 times
Been liked: 407 times

Post by FuzzMonkey »

Reg18 wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:27 pm I’m seeing how far I can push the tone shaping of a basic single transistor overdrive, I’m getting pretty close to something I’m happy with. I’ve gone with a germanium transistor and it does sound smooth for sure. I find the single transistor drives really responsive but a little ratty sounding (which is cool in its own way) like an exploding small amp type thing. I think from
My experiments it’s possible to smooth things out and keep the immediacy of the attack. Trying to make it as simple as possible but still great sounding. It might look something like this.
Simple is sometimes best. Be sure to show us what you come up with.
"There's no creativity without vulnerability."

www.fantailaudio.com