NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 1064 times

The Abstract OD

Post by NippleWrestler »

I finally got around to finishing this dude earlier today. It means 'abstract' (like the art style) but looks cooler like that.

It's an OD pedal, built around a 741 chip. Not massively high gain to my ears but it'll cover hair metal and hard rock at one end, and warm bluesy stuff at the other, especially with the clip switch down.

The switch in the middle is to switch between 2 sets of clipping diodes, either symmetrical (2 x red LEDs) or asymmetrical (LED/BAT46) which is fast becoming my favourite option. Asymmetrical clipping lends a really nice feel to lead lines and although you suffer some volume loss it's worth it. To compensate for the volume loss I added a gain recovery stage after the tone stack to bring back the volume you lose so it'll also work as a boost with the gain low and volume high. Unity is at about 60-65% of the way around and there's now plenty of volume left over. One thing that bugged me about my old bluesbreaker pedal was the lack of output (and gain, and EQ options, and build quality).

You can't really tell but the black bits are all embossed so they're glossy and are also raised slightly which is something I should have looked into earlier as it does give a really nice pro finish to the whole thing.

I was going through a Mork Borg phase with the artwork. Big colours. Random forms. Fun things.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Re: The Abstract OD

Post by olegmcnoleg »

That looks very cool. Love your work.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Looks awesome, tone clips???
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

chur
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 210 times

Post by chur »

Looks awesome. Love that finish!
No one ever died of hard work.. but why take the risk..

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 1064 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

jeremyb wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:44 am Looks awesome, tone clips???
Cheers! They'll be on the way soon, it's a bit of a chore doing the video and recording process but I need to get on top of it. There's about 5 pedals needing a demo at this stage.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

NippleWrestler wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:05 am
jeremyb wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:44 am Looks awesome, tone clips???
Cheers! They'll be on the way soon, it's a bit of a chore doing the video and recording process but I need to get on top of it. There's about 5 pedals needing a demo at this stage.
Maybe outsource the demos to one of our resident demo bods? Nik and Warren are doing great jobs for Glyn.